Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
06 versus 07 Diesel TVs

Since there are still plenty of 06s out there, I was wondering, 2 or 3 years from now would you likely be better off with an 06 (which can use the relatively higher sulfur diesel fuel, bio diesel variations, etc...) OR do I go with an 07 which as far as I know uses only low sulfur diesel fuel only. Given the fact that the retail establishment seems to be going full bore with the low sulfur stuff, does it make sense to buy an 06? I realize some places are still pumping the higher sulfur fuel, but I can't believe that will be happening for very much longer. I Probably could get a decent deal on an 06 and technology wise I don't think I'm losing much going from 06 to 07 except the mandatory use of low sulfur fuel. I don't think this is a brand issue so much as it is a regulatory issue which all the manufacturers are facing.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Martin , Georgia
Do a lot of shopping, I got just as good a deal on a 07 as I could have on a 06. I purchased in Sep. though. The rebates are different now. Think about resale after 5 or 6 years. The 06 will be figured as a year older. I went from a 4.6L F150 to a Duramax Silverado. I am very please with the diesel. I got 8-9 mpg towing with the F150. I get 14-15 mpg towing with the Duramax. Both get ~18mpg highway empty. The bigger truck is a much better tow vehicle.

The 07's use ULSD 15PPM sulfur. The ULSD is a federal thing and the low sulfur should soon be gone.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I had the same dilemma. Ultimately I bought the 06 because I perceive that it will have greater flexibility fuel wise. To be honest I don't know what the new engines will tolerate. Also, the new diesels will be running something comparable to a catalytic converter; more expense/complications!
I was also led to believe the new diesels would be less efficient-mpg- because of this (no facts/history to verify this...)
I figured better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.
FWIW, I never buy vehicles based on what they might be worth 5-6 years down the road. Why buy a diesel for such a short term? I buy what I like/need and try to keep them for 10 years. Automobiles are the worst investment most of us ever make; the best return on those dollars is to keep them a long time...

Bill
Old 11-02-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Just an FYI...the new ULSD engines are not in products yet...will be after January 1. 2007. Example is 2007 Silverado "Classic" is actually the exact same vehicle as the 2006...but with the '07 and Classic name. That allows for the introduction of the NEW ULSD 2007 version after January 1 2007. GM ia also changing the whole body style, etc. at that time.

Gas NEW 2007 pick-ups (gas version only at this point) are just starting to show up at dealers and are being phased in to new build right now. The new model 2007 is NOT the 2007 "Classic"...just a bit confusing.

Also, my understanding is that ALL diesel fuel will be ULSD in the not too distant future...NEW ULSD engines are not set up to run the low sulphur diesel that we have had for the last few years...(vs the ULTRA low sulphur diesel). Tha manufacturers say that the "old" diesels engines will run fine on the ULSD...many posters on other sites are planning on using a lubricating additive until they are sure the mfgs are correct.

Just a bit confusing but it is happening faast as regions of the country are phased in to the ULSD...starting with California which I think changed over either 9/1 or 10/1.

Tom R in Two Harbors
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Thanks for clearing up a few things Tom. I was wondering why the 06 and 07 Silverados looked exactly the same especially since GM was making a big deal about all new tooling etc... The 1/1/07 entry of the new body style along with the low sulpher engines on the diesels now makes more sense to me.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Martin , Georgia
My truck is primarily used as a farm vehicle, so I do consider the value after 5-6 years.

The current 07's don't have the catalytic converter type device. The next versions will and will be priced higher.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #7
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
Just an FYI...the new ULSD engines are not in products yet...will be after January 1. 2007. Example is 2007 Silverado "Classic" is actually the exact same vehicle as the 2006...but with the '07 and Classic name. That allows for the introduction of the NEW ULSD 2007 version after January 1 2007. GM ia also changing the whole body style, etc. at that time.

Gas NEW 2007 pick-ups (gas version only at this point) are just starting to show up at dealers and are being phased in to new build right now. The new model 2007 is NOT the 2007 "Classic"...just a bit confusing.

Also, my understanding is that ALL diesel fuel will be ULSD in the not too distant future...NEW ULSD engines are not set up to run the low sulphur diesel that we have had for the last few years...(vs the ULTRA low sulphur diesel). Tha manufacturers say that the "old" diesels engines will run fine on the ULSD...many posters on other sites are planning on using a lubricating additive until they are sure the mfgs are correct.

Just a bit confusing but it is happening faast as regions of the country are phased in to the ULSD...starting with California which I think changed over either 9/1 or 10/1.

Tom R in Two Harbors
Yeah-good points. Some folks might not be aware of this. The new design/engine 07's have yet to hit the street...
Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
From the handout at my GMC dealer today it sounds like they will be pushing additives. The answer is to fill at the truck pumps, not the "gas island". Convert to a high flow filler pipe. The fleet of tractors out there will still be using the current diesel. I cann't imagine their lobbists would let a bill pass that required them to use the Ultra fuel and additives. According to the handout the new engines will get lower milage and the fuel has a lower octane rating. Also there are some questions about the effects on the older engine's seals as the fuel doesn't lube as well.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Yes, California does have the ULSD fuel, and it's at the truck pump. We're putting it in the fire engines. I haven't noticed any power or driveability issues with it, but I do wonder about long-term maintenance issues.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The extra year newer makes most difference if you trade every 2-3 years. By 5-6 years old, there's less difference in the value of one year newer.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
From the handout at my GMC dealer today it sounds like they will be pushing additives. The answer is to fill at the truck pumps, not the "gas island". Convert to a high flow filler pipe. The fleet of tractors out there will still be using the current diesel. I cann't imagine their lobbists would let a bill pass that required them to use the Ultra fuel and additives. According to the handout the new engines will get lower milage and the fuel has a lower octane rating. Also there are some questions about the effects on the older engine's seals as the fuel doesn't lube as well.
My '06 has the high flow filler pipe - was in line with a bunch of Semis to fill-up on the way home with the SOTR last weekend took about 2 secs to fill up

FWIW - we started looking around the Atlanta area and can't find the new stuff...
asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The new stuff is here in Mississippi, I wonder if that's why diesel is priced higher than Premium? It used to be about the same price as the middle grade gas and when prices started falling I expected the usual two week lag, then fuel to drop - it didn't, ULSD showed up at the same time.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
It's all of a sudden at the stations here in NE Connecticut. Even the pump behind the station for trucks. I don't know about the Truck Stop on the Interstate but it doesn't look good. Read they already have the additives for the lub in it but who's to know. Guess we need an additives thread.
Anyone have a source for a grill cover for a duramax, one that has the hole in the right place?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #14
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I just bought a '07, not a diesel but none the less an '07 had a better warantee.

Mine was about 36 msrp, I got it for 31,500.

Another dealer wanted 32 for an '06, I told them it should have had a better discount---they let me walk.

Another point is if the '06 is stolen or wrecked the insurance Co will look at it as a year old----outch!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
Another point is if the '06 is stolen or wrecked the insurance Co will look at it as a year old----outch!
That's why I went with the 08! Much less risky...
Old 11-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
06 vs 07 TV

I just bought a new 06 Dodge Ram 3500 HD Turbodiesel. I received a great discount by buying one on the lot. In looking at used ones, we didn't see a lot of depreciation if the unit was in very good condition so we chose to buy a new 06. We are new Airstreamers and have really appreciated the good advice received on this forum. We have an 87 34' Excella which we refurbished and have taken out twice to the mountains using our Lincoln Navigator which we knew was not adequate for much towing.
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I sasw a sign today for "red" diesel. it was about 30 cents/gallon cheaper than the other stuff they are selling. Where I usually fill up it is not labeled to the type of diesel. Is it LSD or ULSD?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I sasw a sign today for "red" diesel. it was about 30 cents/gallon cheaper than the other stuff they are selling. Where I usually fill up it is not labeled to the type of diesel. Is it LSD or ULSD?
Regardless of whether it is LSD or USLD, it is illegal to use red diesel in a highway operated vehicle. Red diesel is for use in Agricultural vehicles such as tractors. The reason it is cheaper is that it is exempt from federal taxes because it used only for agricultural purposes. It's red so they can tell if you're breaking the law if you use it.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:34 PM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Ok I get it Red=bad, Green=Good.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
A friend of mine who drives truck delivering gas and diesel to stations, told me that all they have been hauling is ULSD since about mid September. He said the general consensus among truck operators is that ULSD is OK, and does not seem to have any mileage or power issues. He told me he has not noticed any change in the way his truck performs or in the fuel mileage it gets.

thecatsandi, red fuel is HIGH sulphur off road diesel. Used for agricultural and off road construction equipment.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote