Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2006, 08:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
thecatsandi, red fuel is HIGH sulphur off road diesel. Used for agricultural and off road construction equipment.[/quote]

Pick , do you have more info about this . I have been trying to determine this myself, I have been told by station owns , delivery people and my fuel supplier that they are the same with the exception of the red dye.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Red Diesel

Here is a site explaining all about red diesel....

Jer

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2005/0...sel+rules.html

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscinante
Here is a site explaining all about red diesel....

Jer

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2005/0...sel+rules.html
Good info Roscinante , but I didn't see where it addressed the question about the difference between red and white except for the legal aspect
Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
OK...try this one!

Diesel information
All the diesel for cars and trucks meets a certain standard. Off road diesel is white diesel with a color additive, this to make a visible difference between regular diesel and off road diesel. The quality can be different than regular diesel. We advise, in particular for people that don't use the tractor much, to use regular diesel or red diesel mentioned in World Wide Fuel Charter instead of off- road diesel.
The difference in between the off road diesel and regular, that are the most important for the tractors we sell are:
  1. A bacteria colony may develop in the tank of your tractor or storage tank. Some bacteria's produce slimy substances that may cause clogged filters and fuel pumps. Other bacteria's produce an acid that causes rust, this rust can result in a bad functioning fuel injector pumps. Some bacteria species double their colony in 20 minutes in warm conditions.
  2. Diesel mentioned mentioned in World Wide Fuel Charter, has a lubricity character that meets the standard. Pump wear can be as much as 10 times higher, measured in microns, in only 250 hours.
  3. Off road diesel can foam more than the standard.
  4. Diesels mentioned in the world wide fuel charter have a cleaning character. Carbon deposit is typical problem in diesel motors. Carbon can clog injector holes or change the angle in which the diesel enters the cylinder. This can have an affect on the performance of your tractor.
TIPS
  1. Check storage tanks and diesel tanks on the tractor for contamination like water and rust.
  2. Don't fill your tractor tank when your storage tank just has been filled.
  3. Fill your tractor with diesel after you finished work, this way water vapor be pushed out the tank before it condensates in the tank.
  4. Try to buy off road diesel with certain quality.
Lubricants
We advise all our customers to change oil with an oil that meets the manufacturers specification. Never buy oil that doesn't meet these specifications. Quality oil may be higher in price, but it saves your tractor in the long run. All the big oil companies have lubricants that meets these specifications. Our company sells Shell lubricants.
For tractors with wet brakes, hydraulic clutch packs and independant hydraulic PTO's , such as Ford 4000, JD 1630, MF 285 we recommend for most tractors Shell Donax TD. We think this is the best oil that protects the tractor parts the best in the life of your tractor.
Source:
www.shell.com - Shell USA
www.acea.be - World Wide Fuel Charter

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
I guess that is probably the best answer we will get , " it can be different ". From the answers I have gotten it seems that at least in my neck of the woods , it is not different. Thanks for the update