Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
06' Range rover Sport

Ok, im sure this has been discussed many a times before , but i consider my situation to be a little different.
First i would like to mention that my AS is for a business in the dallas forth worth area; rent it out for events. www.facebook.com/schikoevents and I am not doing any long drives, just short distances between cities. With that said, I am considering using my RR sport to tow it and if there are any long distance trips i have to make..then I can use hubby's tundra. It is always a battle to get to use it and even get help with learning how to tow(story for another day), but i found an awesome airforum-er who has helped me once with some towing excercise (hi Dan - moto moto)
Any RR experienced "towers" who can share some sound advice.
What type of hitch, tow bar, brake system.. the works. I want to make sure i am as safe as possible;..says the damsel in distress.
Thank you all for you input.
Miriam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6344.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	270386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6332.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	270387  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6345.PNG
Views:	114
Size:	918.1 KB
ID:	270388  
mkamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I am a long time range rover owner.

The hitch assembly maximum tongue weight of the Range Rover (and range rover sport) is only rated to 550lbs tongue weight (note that this is not disclosed in your documentation above, but it is documented elsewhere in the 2006 RRS vehicle specifications). Check your trailer specs - if it's a newer unit and larger than 22' you will likely exceed what the RR hitch receiver is rated for. There have been reports of land rover hitch failures when overloaded, specifically the LR3 which is also rated at 550lbs.

All bets are off safety-wise if you are pulling something 23' or longer with a stock range rover hitch reciever. Don't get me wrong, people do it, but some are ignorant to the risks and others simply accept the risks. as of this moment you can no longer claim ignorance

If you choose to pull something longer than 23' with a tongue weight greater than 550lbs at a minimum you should have the hitch receiver assembly re-inforced. Also run away from the "receiver extension" that LR sell for the LR4 and I believe the RRS... on some land rovers the hitch receiver is hidden up behind the bumper and you need to install a "flip=down" extension to attach your hitch to... and these are notoriously weak. Call Andy @ Can AM in Ontario and get his advice, he has modified at least one range rover (full-size, newer 2013+) that I am aware of to make it safe.

BTW the truck itself is fine for towing - Engine and transmission are have enough power / robustness, again the focus should be on the physical hitch receiver, tongue weight and of course gross vehicle weight rating (IE don't jam the truck full of passengers and cargo AND THEN add trailer tongue weight - you'll quickly exceed your gross vehicle weight rating...)

BTW - regarding weight distribution, there are many opinions there... if you are hauling for short distances any of the major brands will likely work out just fine. Personally I have had good experience with my equalizer 4-way system (8 years / 20k towing miles)

Good luck and be safe.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
I have a 27 foot sovereign..tongue weight 650, so that definitely exceeds the tongue weight limit of my RR. I would say, if all else okay and that is the only drawback, i will invest in whatever it takes to reinforcing of the hitch.

Thank you very much for that input, and I will definitely give Andy a call.

Anyone in the dallas area who can recommend a place to get all this done.... other than range rover dealership?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Stay away from Land Rover dealership - they literally have no clue regarding how to setup trailer and vehicle for towing.

650lb tongue weight is definitely at the limit. talk with Andy - to modify the vehicle you'll need to find a good welding shop who can custom fabricate the brace system.

Regarding adding a weight distribution hitch (which you will want to do) your best bet is a reputable RV dealer in your area. that being said I think RV dealers only get weight distribution hitch setup correct maybe 50% of the time... but that's just my opinion and another story...

so 3 stops to make on your towing setup journey:

1. speak with Andy about hitch re-inforcment that needs to be done
2. work with a local welder to actually perform the custom vehicle modification
3. work with a local RV store to get setup with a weight distribution hitch

Of course option "B" would be to simply use a vehicle that is equipped from the factory to tow your trailer (GMC Yukon, Infiniti QX56, Nissan Armada, Ford F150, GMC Sierra 1500, toyota tundra, etc..).

For towing our 25' airstream with 760lb tongue weight I bought an infiniti QX56 rather than using my range rover..........
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post

Of course option "B" would be to simply use a vehicle that is equipped from the factory to tow your trailer (GMC Yukon, Infiniti QX56, Nissan Armada, Ford F150, GMC Sierra 1500, toyota tundra, etc..).

For towing our 25' airstream with 760lb tongue weight I bought an infiniti QX56 rather than using my range rover..........
I like/recommend option "B"
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Thanks guys!
Now i'm pondering. Option B.. QX56.
Car note.. ouch!
Old 08-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I am a long time range rover owner.

The hitch assembly maximum tongue weight of the Range Rover (and range rover sport) is only rated to 550lbs tongue weight (note that this is not disclosed in your documentation above, but it is documented elsewhere in the 2006 RRS vehicle specifications). Check your trailer specs - if it's a newer unit and larger than 22' you will likely exceed what the RR hitch receiver is rated for. There have been reports of land rover hitch failures when overloaded, specifically the LR3 which is also rated at 550lbs.

All bets are off safety-wise if you are pulling something 23' or longer with a stock range rover hitch reciever. Don't get me wrong, people do it, but some are ignorant to the risks and others simply accept the risks. as of this moment you can no longer claim ignorance

If you choose to pull something longer than 23' with a tongue weight greater than 550lbs at a minimum you should have the hitch receiver assembly re-inforced. Also run away from the "receiver extension" that LR sell for the LR4 and I believe the RRS... on some land rovers the hitch receiver is hidden up behind the bumper and you need to install a "flip=down" extension to attach your hitch to... and these are notoriously weak. Call Andy @ Can AM in Ontario and get his advice, he has modified at least one range rover (full-size, newer 2013+) that I am aware of to make it safe.

BTW the truck itself is fine for towing - Engine and transmission are have enough power / robustness, again the focus should be on the physical hitch receiver, tongue weight and of course gross vehicle weight rating (IE don't jam the truck full of passengers and cargo AND THEN add trailer tongue weight - you'll quickly exceed your gross vehicle weight rating...)

BTW - regarding weight distribution, there are many opinions there... if you are hauling for short distances any of the major brands will likely work out just fine. Personally I have had good experience with my equalizer 4-way system (8 years / 20k towing miles)

Good luck and be safe.
If all wulfraat says is right, then, wow, I would not tow your 27' with the RRSport. I'd be so worried of a catastrophe.

FWIW, I have a 2012 Armada. It would tow your rig easily. They're also quite cheap, used. So cheap, you might be able to justify buying it with your company dollars and not selling the RR.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
All,
i appreciate your input. Just got off the phone with Can-Am; Andy was not available, so i talked to Philip, who was very helpful. Of course the main concern was the hitch and he wanted to see pictures of it to see if it would need to be reinforced. But yes.. would definitely need a WD hitch.
I have spent the past week looking at QX56's. I like the 2011 and up models, but reality check.. just cant afford right now.
So i then started looking at the Armada.. MUCH friendlier in price and i have seem several in the dallas area.. so i think this is the route i will go.
THank you all so much for your advice.