Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Its all good, your trailer propane tank regulator does have the automatic switch. The flip arm is just as mentioned above, the way to flip to the second tank when the first tank is empty,,,,when removing it to have filled. If there is propane in both tanks you get a all green showing in the little sight glass. When one tank is empty it will automaticly flip to the full tank and half the sight glass will turn red. Some of the new airstream units have a tank heater switch located in the bathroom, to be used in freezing weather,,,,if you dont have one then the tanks are heated by a duct that goes from the furnace to the tank compartment. Thats why Airstream always says if furnace is working your safe for water and tank freezing. Just remember that when you use a plug in electric heater and not your furnace the inside of the trailer may be warm but the tank compartmets are not getting heat,,,,,Happy Trails

wasteer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
. A good test for burst pipes is to turn on the pump(with water in the fresh tank). If it pressurizes and shuts off you're ok. If it continues to run you likely have a problem. I'm bettin' you're OK.
John
Don't count on that pump cyle and stop test. When water pipes freeze, the water expands inside (10%) and increases the water pressure. So you check the pump, it cyles and stops. Or you even check a faucet, there's water pressure. But if you let it run another moment, it dies, because you have just bled off the increased pressure from the freezing water. It's good to have bled off the pressure some, but the pipes are still freezing with other zones with frozen in pressure. Now you only have minutes to get that zone thawed out before things burst, unless it is a material that will take 10% increase in size, and again for each time the water freezes.
Cold wind will find the unprotected section of the lines and cause a freeze where you wouldn't expect it. Aluminum is a very good conductor of cold.
The best way I've found to thaw pipes is a 2 liter bottle of hot water with a hole pierced in the lid, and maybe massage the pipe with a rag with the hot water. So far I haven't had the joy of thawing out pipes in the airstream, yet.
A trick from the snowmaking crew on the ski area, when they blow the water out of the snow making lines, they blow until there's no more fog coming out. I wouldn't use that much airpressure blowing out my lines in the airstream though.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen pipes