Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
Journeyman Lineman

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
South Fork Long Island , New York
Wood Burning Stove

Seriously considering installing a wood burning stove in our 27í Eddie Bauer. Iíve done a little research and have heard nothing but good things about the Cubic Mini Grizzly wood burning stove. I was planning on shortening the bench seat in order to achieve the clearance I would need. I just need to figure out an alternative of where or how to mount the TV so it isnít taking all the heat and is still tucked away, if not, I donít have a problem removing it all together. I would like to hear if anybody has done this and how practical it really is. I hear when traveling you have to remove the chimney top and cap it, which I donít mind doing as it would be in a reachable place with the collapsable ladder I keep on my rig. Thoughts and opinions welcome! We live in the north east and would love to take it on snowboarding trips.
kjadams16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I have a 4kw stove (a Hobbit) in my 27' Overlander. It's really fantastic to be able to heat with wood off grid, and we use it all the time. I go back and forth about whether a 4kw stove is the right size or if I should have used a 3kw stove. If I had to do it again, I'd probably do a 4kW again. But it's our sole off-grid heat source, and we occasionally find ourselves in single digit temps.

Don't cheat on clearances. Wood stoves get really hot, but with adequate clearances and shielding, I'm much more concerned about my propane fridge burning my rig down than my stove. Don't forget the requirements in front of the stove. Hot coals will fall out of the front of the stove from time to time when you open the door and mess with the fire. Make sure coals won't land on anything flammable.

The Cubic Mini Grizzly is in the 3kw range, which is probably good for supplemental heat and milder Winter weather. Don't expect it to keep up by itself in the low teens or below, and don't expect more than about 2 hour burn times if you really slow it down. For moderate heat while you're actively tending it, it should work great. You're not going to want to depend on it for overnight heat.

Plan on having your flue system go straight up through the ceiling. Cubic Mini doesn't offer elbows, and third party elbows are all single-wall so they require too large of clearances to be used with the wall mount. That means you want to locate the stove somewhere relatively inboard that the slope of the roof isn't too severe.

Tinywoodstove.com sells a 3" driving cap (5" OD) that will fit on top of Cubic's insulated pipe to block it off for driving and storage. Pick up the rotary cleaning kit while you're at it -- you're going to need the tools to sweep your chimney regularly, and the rotary brush does a great job in one or two passes.

Don't forget to order enough pipe for the inner wall of your insulated pipe. Cubic's roof exit kit only comes with the outer wall and insulation that you're meant to pass one of their double-wall pipes through.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just a word on using a wood stove as supplemental heat...

I have a wood stove in my house, and I love it, but I can use it or the furnace, not both.

The furnace draw pulls the smoke down the chimney, which is not what you want.

Don’t know if the same would be true in a trailer, but it might.

I use my wood stove during the day, turning the furnace off, turning it back on at night and letting the wood stove cool off.

If I could have a tiny wood stove in my Interstate, I would in a heartbeat.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:44 AM   #4
Journeyman Lineman

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
I have a 4kw stove (a Hobbit) in my 27' Overlander. It's really fantastic to be able to heat with wood off grid, and we use it all the time. I go back and forth about whether a 4kw stove is the right size or if I should have used a 3kw stove. If I had to do it again, I'd probably do a 4kW again. But it's our sole off-grid heat source, and we occasionally find ourselves in single digit temps.

Don't cheat on clearances. Wood stoves get really hot, but with adequate clearances and shielding, I'm much more concerned about my propane fridge burning my rig down than my stove. Don't forget the requirements in front of the stove. Hot coals will fall out of the front of the stove from time to time when you open the door and mess with the fire. Make sure coals won't land on anything flammable.

The Cubic Mini Grizzly is in the 3kw range, which is probably good for supplemental heat and milder Winter weather. Don't expect it to keep up by itself in the low teens or below, and don't expect more than about 2 hour burn times if you really slow it down. For moderate heat while you're actively tending it, it should work great. You're not going to want to depend on it for overnight heat.

Plan on having your flue system go straight up through the ceiling. Cubic Mini doesn't offer elbows, and third party elbows are all single-wall so they require too large of clearances to be used with the wall mount. That means you want to locate the stove somewhere relatively inboard that the slope of the roof isn't too severe.

Tinywoodstove.com sells a 3" driving cap (5" OD) that will fit on top of Cubic's insulated pipe to block it off for driving and storage. Pick up the rotary cleaning kit while you're at it -- you're going to need the tools to sweep your chimney regularly, and the rotary brush does a great job in one or two passes.

Don't forget to order enough pipe for the inner wall of your insulated pipe. Cubic's roof exit kit only comes with the outer wall and insulation that you're meant to pass one of their double-wall pipes through.
I’m going to have to do some more research and see if the hobbit will be a better fit for us. I am concerned about where I’m putting it because it will be next to the fridge all though I plan on heat shielding the entire wall next to it. One of the biggest reasons I was leaning towards the cubic mini is because of the heat shielding kits and accessories that are available for the stove. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjadams16 View Post
Iím going to have to do some more research and see if the hobbit will be a better fit for us. I am concerned about where Iím putting it because it will be next to the fridge all though I plan on heat shielding the entire wall next to it. One of the biggest reasons I was leaning towards the cubic mini is because of the heat shielding kits and accessories that are available for the stove. Thank you!
Check out my blog, instagram or post history to see how I did my shield. My stove is also next to my fridge. I used a sheet of 0.032 allclad aluminum (same stuff as the exterior skin) on my wall between my stove and my fridge with 1" spacers to create the air space behind the shield. It works fantastically well. The shield barely gets warm with the stove running as hot as it goes.

If you're considering a 4kw, look at the Dwarf line. If I did another stove in the same size, I'd go with the Dwarf instead of the Hobbit. The Dwarf has better air controls. I can barely get 4 hours out of my Hobbit with a full firebox and the air controls shut down. Cody, @roamingwrens in IG, swapped his Hobbit in his tiny house for a Dwarf 4kw and he's getting 8+ hour burns.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have 2 wood burners 1 is grandpa Fisher largest of Fisher brand but FISHER brand longer manf. VERY HEAVY welded steel plate w/fire brick liner not made from cast iron, will heat over 2000 sq ft home 2 levels even throttled, 1 Vermont castings 1 down from largest use when gets very cold [house hot even throttled. 2 fire places 1 wood other converted to nat. gas furnace does not bother stove ie smoke etc. Fisher no longer use as too dif. to bring wood to fire. I would never have wood burner in AS first no camping in winter any more plus wood hassle. Wood burners get very hot, IMO not safe in AS. I use wood burners over 40 yrs. home is enough for me. We some times cook on Vermont castings very useful. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Check out my blog . . .
. . .
Thanks for the photo and details:

https://thegreatleys.com/journal/cat...iny+Wood+Stove

As noted in the text, the wall heat shielding is not yet installed in this photo.

Looks great!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Sorry, clearly I'm further behind my blog posting than I thought!Click image for larger version

Name:	1763831078.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	385826Click image for larger version

Name:	2035811730.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	385827
Old 12-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
There's also a pretty good photo of the stove setup on my renovation thread.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179352
Old 12-30-2020, 06:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thatís a gorgeous little stove!

Whatís in the tray on top?

This is mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D1FAE98-CC6B-4FCB-963C-90D401D87535.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	385829  

Old 12-30-2020, 08:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thatís a gorgeous little stove!

Whatís in the tray on top?

This is mine...
Thanks! It's granola.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:21 AM   #12
Journeyman Lineman

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Check out my blog, instagram or post history to see how I did my shield. My stove is also next to my fridge. I used a sheet of 0.032 allclad aluminum (same stuff as the exterior skin) on my wall between my stove and my fridge with 1" spacers to create the air space behind the shield. It works fantastically well. The shield barely gets warm with the stove running as hot as it goes.

If you're considering a 4kw, look at the Dwarf line. If I did another stove in the same size, I'd go with the Dwarf instead of the Hobbit. The Dwarf has better air controls. I can barely get 4 hours out of my Hobbit with a full firebox and the air controls shut down. Cody, @roamingwrens in IG, swapped his Hobbit in his tiny house for a Dwarf 4kw and he's getting 8+ hour burns.

That is great! Iím going to be doing a lot of measurements this weekend and determine what would be our best option. My Son is 2 and knows not to touch our wood stove at home but weíll be putting it as a focal point basically in the middle of our AS so I want to make sure I have the proper clearances around it and maybe enough room for a removable metal lattice guard as added protection if him or the dogs are near.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjadams16 View Post
My Son is 2 and knows not to touch our wood stove at home but weíll be putting it as a focal point basically in the middle of our AS so I want to make sure I have the proper clearances around it and maybe enough room for a removable metal lattice guard as added protection if him or the dogs are near.
Mine is 20 months, and we have lots of "stove is hot" discussions. He knows it's hot and wouldn't touch it on purpose. (Same goes for the dogs.) However, Leanne still wanted a physical barrier just in case to avoid accidents. So I whipped up the Toddler Guard 9000 (patent pending, of course). Temporary shield so if he falls into anything, he'll hit the shield and not the stove. Just sits freestanding on some rubber feet I got at home depot. Hinged so it folds up into practically nothing.

Also useful to put between the stove and the couch when it's made into a bed to manage the heat. It's far enough away for safety clearances, but the direct radiant heat can make you a tad too warm if you're sleeping right next to it.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210101_155642.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	385959
Old 02-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #14
Journeyman Lineman

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer

Name:	IMG_3933.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	388780

So I decided to go with the Cubic Mini Grizzly due to the shorter wait time and the head shield accessories/ fresh air intake. It fit right into my designated space with some wiggle room and made installation easy. Still need to install some more shielding around the base but so far Itís been working a out great!
Old 02-16-2021, 04:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mmmmm, love it.

This my on-the-road substitute.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7E6D58C9-1170-4E69-8380-A0519D37CF93.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	388799  

Old 02-18-2021, 02:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Mine is currently keeping my butt warm here in Texas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210216_174153_015.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	388961  
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Nashvilleville , Tennessee
Lightbulb

I am a strong believer in the wood stove! Under normal circumstances its a very pleasant form of dryer heat and it is charming to use. Collecting wood makes you feel a little more like a man. There is a reason that when you go camping in the Alaskan bush or the Yaak its almost a given your base camp tent will have a wood stove. As others have mentioned you get find really great miniature models that provide a proper output for a small space and its really easy to have radiant barriers. Having those heat powered fans on tops is also real nice.

Nobody wants to be in a survival situation in a Airstream but I don't think it's crazy anymore to prepare for unforeseen emergencies. If you were to get into a survival mode you were not totally prepared for, having heat is a basic need. Propane eventually runs out. You also need propane for other appliances. If you are in a natural disaster, grid outage, emergency you might find propane impossible to get. Wood always works. And you can cook on it as another backup.
bhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #18

1991 29' Excella
Alexandria , Virginia
Not sure if you have installed, but I would recommend the Hobbit from the UK. I installed in my Airstream and it was perfect. Reach out to Kelly @ Wheely Great Trailer Co., they did the installation.

Martin
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote