Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2002, 11:11 AM   #41
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Photo help

Quote:
Still trying to figure out how to post a photo...!
Hi again Rubyslipper. Thanks for keeping us updated on your winter living experience. The following link should be helpful to you in posting photos. The main 2 things to remember are that if the photos are too large, they must be resized to a smaller
resolution. 400x300 works well for me. The 2nd thing is that the photos must be in either .jpg or.gif format. Best of luck to you.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ing+and+photos
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:42 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Many Thanks!

At night when going to bed, I close the hallways doors and run a ceramic space heater in the bathroom/bedroom area. I don't have any windows in this area cracked open and I don't get any condensation.

But the living room does since it's not being heated at night. So when I get up, I'll turn on the furnace and then crack the living windows and they dry up quickly.

The small windows below the larger ones, also have condensation and I wipe those with a towel.

Good Luck and thanks for the infor- John

p.s. cold to us down here is 40 degrees
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 03:01 PM   #43
Rivet Master

RS,

We had a couple of cold nights down here and when using the furnace, I left the windows unlatched with the curtains closed and had no condensation on any of the windows.

Now we didn't have any wind and it only got to 32 at my trailer, I thought I'd just past this alone to you both.

Happy New Year-John
Old 12-31-2002, 12:33 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Living

YIPPPPEEE!!! I FINALLY got a couple photos posted.One is of the trailer with the black skirting...cant really see very good cause of all the stuff setting around. I will get out there and try to take a better one. Also got the sofa shot in too. It was over 60 here yesterday...now its 38.Man is the weather nuts or what?Will also get a photo of the water spiket set up too. HAPPY NEW YEAR! PRAY for WORLD PEACE.
Rubyslipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 10:09 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Living

Greetings everyone! Still here in the middle of Missouri.Dont know for how much longer but looks like we will do the winter here.One thing we have both agreed on is our F350 DRW should have been 4x4.The snows that have plagued us have left us kinda stranded a few times.Even the "shed"93 Areostar we use to beat around in got stuck.The skirting is working out good.Use a 100 lb bottle of propane every 2 weeks at a cost of $38.Have to say that the RV resort we live in is great.The fishin is good and fulltimers very friendly.Take a look at wildwoodassociation.com.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:16 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Living

One more thing....we bought one of those heated mattress pads!One of the best buys. Coupled with a big old down comforter,we sleep nice and cozy.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:41 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Question

Rubyslipper

Just saw that your location is off I-70. How far are you from Hermann, MO.? Have you ever taken the tour for the winery located in town?
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:44 PM   #48
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Rubyslipper,

Just a piece of info to tuck away for the summer. Don't take the heated bed pad off the bed when the weather warms up. If you are camping in any kind of humid climate it works GREAT to keep the bedding dry. I didn't matter how hot I got during the day, a cool shower and really dry sheets let me fall asleep even on a damp night without AC.

Glad to hear you are staying warm!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 06:20 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Living

Thanks for info on matress pad.We will try it. As for the Hermann winery.....yes! What a neat place. There is a week long festival in October that is a good time.Missouri wineries are going to give California a run for the money.Another place worth visiting is right on I-70 in a spot in the road,Williamsburg. There is a little old,1920's general store,Cranes.It is packed full of Carharts and other brands of outdoor wear at prices that made me smile.Plus they will "build" you a sandwich for $.85 cents and have some really good rootbeer to wash it down.My hubby loved setting in an old rusty metal chair on the front porch while he stuffed his face. You can even fill up your gas tank right in front while you are there.They have a huge,7' tall wood stove where everyone sets and warms their toes.Lunch time gets pretty busy since all the UPS drivers seem to find Cranes around that time as well as all the locals. Oh and if you ever venture thru Kansas...I-35 west of Kansas City, Williamsburg,KS. There you will find a little old "beer-joint",Guy and Mayes that makes some of the best BBQ ribs.They serve them to you in cardboard beer flats wrapped in newspaper.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:39 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Living

Ok....tomorrow we are getting more of what we are beginning to refere to as the "white-s__t".I can not believe the amount of the stuff we have had to date.The storm last week we both awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of the "Fan-tastic" Fan OPENING.Wait this is Not supposed to happen. Its snowing!!!The sensor should know this!!A quick check of the bed yielded a small pile of the "white-s__t" beginning to accumulate.After an hour of cussing and looking for a screw driver to get the thing apart so HE could disconnect the motor and then another hour of looking for the pliers to turn the gear to close the cover.We both sat there laughing at the whole scene.It appears we are in line for a new "Fan-tastic" Fan soon. Looked like all the snow somehow found its way in and shorted the unit out.Did check the caulking in the fall but who knows???
Old 01-21-2003, 11:35 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Smile Priceless

Rubyslipper,

I can only imagine the look on your faces when you saw the snow coming in!!

Never a dull moment while living fulltime, especially when facing those kinds of conditions.

Sleep warm-John
Old 01-21-2003, 11:55 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Jeez don't I feel dumb. My Airstream had those heated mattress pads when I got it, and i threw them away as I don't like all that extra heat. The dampness removal would have been nice though.

As for the thermal blanket, I plan to do a similiar job on the outside of my front driver's area, to keep the summer engine heat out. The product is also a thermal blanket but ok for the outside use.

Keep warm y'all!!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:50 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Living

We are laughing about it all now but man oh man the cussing that went on that night was....oh well.As soon as we are able to go to the dealer we will have it fixed. Cant live without it.I did put together an emergency tool kit and put it where we both know where it is. We are up to a bottle of propane a week now..$38.The hubby is still turning the furnance thermo all the way down at night.I dont much care but Spike the dog is beginning to get serious about trying to sneak under the covers.We are opening the cabinet doors to help with the heat. Seems to get really cold inside when we keep them shut.I have turned the shower into a coat closet and a place to put a laundry bag and winter boots.Just have to remember to keep gray water tank drained so it doesnt come back in and float the shoes around.I have ben cracking the windows during the day to let the condensation dry off.We are learning.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:34 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Living

The big test comes tonight....minus 20 below wind chills here in the middle of the woods.Plugged the heater block to the truck in so that puppy wont give us the cold shoulder.We are now spending $38 a week for a 100 lb bottle of propane.The guy keeps telling me that we are doing far better than the other folks who are out here.But then they are lots older and I think they keep their RV's warmer than we do.Woke up this morning with ice on the inside of the windows.Some nasty air leaks around the windows even with the plastic on.I wonder if A/S has ever thought of storm windows????AND its SNOWNING AGAIN!!!Yippee!
Old 01-22-2003, 10:42 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

Rubyslipper,
I have read that at one timne Airstream made a "Polar" version which included additional insulation and dual-pane windows. I wasn't aware of this option when I purchased mine or I would have asked for it. Not only would it be warmer in winter but also cooler in summer.
Do you have full hookups where you are? If so you might want to get an electric heater and run it during the day to save some propane.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:51 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Living

Yes we have full hookups and I do have a little electric heater that I should be using.Just makes too much noise and the dog thinks its his buddy and gets too close sometimes.More insullation would be a good thing in these A/S.I am setting at the table and feel cold air coming in under the curtain tracks.If the weather continus to be this cold,I will have to go for more insullating materials.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:03 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Share a thought?

Rubyslipper,

From my experience in being in prolong zero temps is to bite the bullet and pay for the LPG because this will majorly help to reduce the condersation within the trailer.

By keeping the air at a constant temp, you prevent condensation from building within the trailer. Heat dries the inside of the trailer, thats why people buy humidifiers up north, the dry furnace air dries out the house. In the owners manual, it's states that it's important to maintain a constant temp/heat. Also you should have ALL cabinets doors, storage bin, closet doors and the shower door cracked to allow warm air to circulate in these areas. Also, if it's freezing inside, how about your plumbing?

I believe the avg person exhales 1 pint of water per night and that by preventing the mositure to evaporate into the heated air, the moisture is becoming heavy and wicking to all surfaces.

So I'm suggesting that you maintain at least a min of 65 degrees and your moisture problems should majorly reduce over three days to stabilze and let us know how this works.

Good Luck, John
Old 01-23-2003, 07:15 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
FROZEN!!!

Woke up to -15 below,a 1/4" of ice on inside of windows and a ever increasing desire to be sunning me tush in a warmer climate.Our little cream puff is a frozen popsicle.Water is not a problem due to a good heat tape job and the skirting we applied.Airstreams are not made for a lot of winter living.The windows are the worst...air leakage is way too much.Even windows we applied plastic to the inside have a thick coating of ice as well as the latches.I will be spending a large portion of my day with a hair dryer and a bunch of towels.Conversation over dinner last night centerd around the whether or not to tuff it out with the A/S or to consider the New Horizon 5th wheel with the thermal package.Our profession can take us into Canada and other points north at any time.....so here we set.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:23 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Living

And to try and make light of it,my hubby reminded me on his way out this morning to not stick my tongue to the trailer..... ...
Rubyslipper w/wool socks
Old 01-23-2003, 08:03 AM   #60
Rivet Master

windows

Ruby,

Have you guys tried adjusting your windows?

While in Buffalo,WY(5 degrees) we had steady winds blowing at 40mph & gusting to 60mph and the only area within my trailer that I felt any cold air coming in was from my ceiling fans. I removed the screen and added foam rubber around the outside perimeter and that really helped to cut down on the cold air getting in.

Adjusting the windows isn't hard and can be accomplished from the inside. Just remove your screens and the adjustment is right there. You can adjust the windows so they draw tighter when closing, but be careful not to over adjust and/or over tighten as the extra pressure may cause the window to break.

How about keeping your furnace running to maintain 65 degrees? Have you talked about this or is it that you can't even maintain this temp while furnace is running?

God that's cold-John