Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Winter in an Airstream?

One of the reasons that is prompting us to consider changing from our MH to an Airstream is that our activities have changed. We're working with a church group that helps congregations with their building/remodeling projects. We're currently on our second project, with a third scheduled for April. Those projects are: St. Louis (Oct and Nov), Stillwater, OK (Jan and Feb), and Yuma, CO (April and May).

We're thinking about 30-34' WB coaches from the 90's. How might one of those coaches handle these conditions? We had temps in the teens at the end of the first project, and have been in the 20's for lows so far here in Stillwater. Don't know what Yuma will be like, but maybe some of you have an idea.

Our plan is to work about four months each year with Laborers, volunteer for four months, and "play" the remaining four months. Obviously, we have some control over where we are for some of the year, but some Laborers projects can run much more than the two months that these three are. We could easily find ourselves putting in four months on one project, and temperatures can change during that time.

Is a coach like what I've described above going to handle some winter/summer temperatures? Utilities vary, but generally we should have FHU sites, often with 50A service. If the coach we choose is a 30A coach we'll have it upgraded to 50A service.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
50 amp service is only needed on an Airstream if you have two air conditioner units.

The Airstream will handle freezing temps, but to keep things from freezing (tanks, lines, etc.) you will need to run the furnace, and to do this for long periods of time like you are predicting, it will burn lots of propane. I've seen people staying in RV parks long term with a bulk propane tank, and that would probably be the most practical.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Many years ago Joyce and I went on a snowmobile campout with our Airstream.

We knew we would burn more than a normal amout of propane, so we took extra cylinders with us.

I don't remember how cold it was, but there was lots of snow. Everything worked out fine. We had a ball!

Afterwards we took it to the dealer, and had it re-winterized. All was well.

As I think back to those days when we were young and dumb, we sure had a lot of fun.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Steve, 50A service provides 12,000W of electricity (50A x 120V x2) whereas 30A provides only 3600W (30A x 120V). The reason for doubling on the 50A equation is that there are actually two 50A legs. Right now I'm plugged into a 50A outlet, which lets me run three electric heaters (a larger one in the living area, a smaller one in the bathroom, and another small one in the wet bay. In addition the television is on, as are a couple of small lights. The microwave can also be used now. Couldn't do that on 30A.

I mentioned the wet bay above. An Airstream doesn't have one, so where are the tanks? How is that space heated? Is there more than one such space (fresh water in one place, black tank in another, gray tank in another)?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I understand what 50 amp service gives you, my trailer is 50 amp. However, you cannot keep an Airstream from freezing the tanks and water inlet lines with electric heat. The tanks are under the floor between the floor and the belly pan, and the furnace heats those areas. Electric heat will keep the interior of the trailer just fine, but it won't heat the water lines or the tanks.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Winter in an Airstream?

So far as winter warmth goes an Avion 34' from 1978-1990 will be the largest size (also a tridem axle) and features spray foam insulation for better heat retention. A far more heavy duty frame. Great cabinetry. Anodized skin. Semi or fully independent suspension.

Avoid the late XB model is about the only caveat. The lower area takes in water. See Dr Gradeless site. Several owners at this site.

It will cost less as well as need less. Now and in the future. See also TXIceman posts here and threads with pics in IRV2.

Silver Streak does not have spray foam insulation, but both it and Avion have become hard to find due to quality. A/S was the Chevrolet of the era, these others were a real step up in design, build quality plus fit & finish.

Both are much better for cold weather camping. Avion has the edge. There are adaptations needed for any of them for cold weather living.

Yes, you need to run the furnace to keep tanks from freezing. Any brand of these trailers. Propane is cheap. Rent or buy a 100-250lb tank.

The last is the most rare. The spray foam Streamline with aluminum cabinetry. An offshoot of SS. Pick 1972 thru 1974 for grey water tank inclusion.

On these three an option was interior gasketed storm windows held on with rotating clips. DIY, today. Custom vinyl trailer skirting plus the storms is good for far colder than OK in winter.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
When I was in High School my dad bought a 9.6 meter Avion. Amazing build quality, it was solid as heck...but seriously heavy! It was essentially 31ft long and my Safari 30 Bunkhouse i have now feels "lightwieght" compared to the ol Avion. Those Avions had heavy duty frames, over 1k ton wieght. I wish they still made RVs like those
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Winter in an Airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
When I was in High School my dad bought a 9.6 meter Avion. Amazing build quality, it was solid as heck...but seriously heavy! It was essentially 31ft long and my Safari 30 Bunkhouse i have now feels "lightwieght" compared to the ol Avion. Those Avions had heavy duty frames, over 1k ton wieght. I wish they still made RVs like those

They were heavier in the 70s and only part way into the 80s. Airstream really pigged out. An '87 34V weighed 7k and grossed 9500. I'd bet few went down the road much above 8500.

Any A/S today from 25 on up weighs that much or more. And have more than the 750-lb TW of that vintage kin tridem axle.

We need to get JimGolden on here with scale tickets.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
In the about '90 I had a 24' Argosy, don't remember the year model, but it was just a few years old, and a fairly nice trailer.

I found a few year later model Avion 23', bought it and sold the Argosy. (Yea, I've been doing it for a long time).

Anyway, my tow vehicle at that time was an '88 1/2 ton Suburban with a 350 engine, automatic, 3.73 rear end gears. The Suburban easily towed the Argosy, but boy did I get a surprise when I hooked it up to the Avion. I thought the brakes were dragging or something. That thing was HEAVY, and almost square compared to the Argosy. It was, however, a well built trailer.

If I were to want to full time in a travel trailer today, the only thing that would stop me from doing it in a Avion would be the fact there are some parts that are no longer available because they have been out of production so long.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The interior of an Avion or S/S is ordinary as to repairs. And the Avion founding family, Cayo, is still in business with some exterior parts.

Exterior condition is key as repairs to same is harder than the norm hereabout. How to clean anodized is subject of a long thread. One looks to make the shell a consistent matte appearance.

The Silver Avion Fellowship is the place to look for problem solving that is brand specific. Everything else is here. One can ignore filiform concerns as well as roof leaks for the most part. Same for shell separation and loosing rivets over hard riding lashup. Etc.

OP, I've pulled up some threads on Avion for you to look at if interested. See new threads or in vintage kin.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks, slowmover. We're interested in a WB and something that is still in production.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Winter in an Airstream?

Have a look if you ever get a chance.

I can't seem to post links using phone so pulled up three threads with either winter, wintering or skirting in title. Pics and links within.

Building interior gasketed storm windows is in a couple of threads on Woodalls.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I owned a 23' avion, it was a 1973 and was purchased new in fargo then towed to billings, sat In their front yard until 1984 and I bought it and used it until 2009, I was working in wyoming oil fields ,highway construction in montana ,wyoming, North Dakota and it was used in the winters also ,it never froze up,most of the times it was parked on the job sites with no hookups except for a generator. It was a good trailer, loaded it weighed 6600 on the axles with 225/75/15 passenger car tires,never did have a any go bad..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote