Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Denver Meadows does not look much better than where I am at. Dakota Ridge looks better, but their rates are higher. I guess I'm stuck in what amounts to a gravel parking lot.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Poor Furnace Performance

Frank

You posted on 12/1 that your furnace may need to be replaced as it is a 1993 model and you hope a new one works better. There may be nothing wrong with your furnace. My furnace was performing very poorly when I was camping in WV in the middle of winter (I was skiing). The outlet temp was only about 70 degrees as I recall. I was told to pour hot water on the propane gas distribution valve. I did this and the furnace started cooking properly. So there may be nothing wrong with your furnace, the problem may be low propane pressure to the furnace. Furnaces usually either work or they don't work. Make sure that yours is putting out high temperature air, probably at least 130 degrees. If it is not you may need to replace the propane distribution valve.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 AM   #123
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
Dan, Thanks for advise on furnace, already bought new suburban, 30,000 btu unit, I may have new installed or just hold if have trouble, old one works but real loud & some fan motor moans sometimes. I have a 250 gallon gas tank connected direct to AS, so doubt any problem with pressure.

Frank
frankfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #124
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedar Lake , Indiana
what kind of insulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOgletree View Post
There's a gap, kind of a slot, at the bottom of the trim that runs around my trailer that holds my insulation sheeting in place nicely. I put more of the wrap around the front of the trailer yesterday that pretty much seals it up all the way around. I like your idea about the light bulbs rather than the space heater. I ran the heater about 5 hours last night while the temp was below freezing and when I went in to check on the trialer this morning the floor was warm. I think this will work fine for me here and the roll-up insulation will be easier to handle and store than rigid styrofoam. Thanks everyone for your input!
Hi What type of soft insulation did you use? what kind of tape adheres to the Airstream? Is this a simple task that could be done frequently?
thank you for the info in advance....hoosiergypsy it is nice here but getting too cold at night...
somedaysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #125
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Louisville , Kentucky
i just made it through 4 sub freezing days. lows mid teens- highs mid twentys. no freeze and the cabin never below 65 at the coldest spot. how confident can i be with my pipes ?
70s guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #126
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Niceville , Florida
HoosierGypsy- The insulation I used is called Reflectix, Double Reflective Foil Insulation, and I got it at Lowe's. I got the 2' wide X 25' roll and it fit pretty well without much trimming. I read all 8 pages of this blog and thought through wood, styrofoam, even bales of hay, but decided to wander through Home Depot and Lowes to see what I could find. There's actually a comment in one of the messages about reflective or foil insulation but I didn't really understand what they were talking about. My first thought for using this Reflectix was to tape it to the chrome strip that runs along the bottom of the side of my trailer and I read somewhere in this blog that Gorilla Tape would stick, but it sure wouldn't stick to my strip....although the strip might have been damp when I tried it. I didn't actually notice the little gap under the botttom of the strip until I tried to wedge the insulation against it and damn if it didn't slip right in. I've still got a few little gaps around the bumpers and wheelwells, but it's keeping everything toasty, so "What Me Worry?" I even noticed that an armadillo has moved in under there.....
BobOgletree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #127
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
On DIY "This New House" today, they reviewed wood pellet heat systems, one of which sits outside, pipes heated air into an indoor heat exchanger, then heat is distributed throughout the building using whatever system is available (forced air, radiant, etc). No idea on price, but the concept was nice. Pellets were processed with heat, made from salvaged timber, from blight or insect falls.

Have you seen those RV "condos" online? A house built around a coach, with extra room for visitors, laundry, full size kitchen.
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #128
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Here is the link to the vacation house/RV cabana concept. Iphone does not do flash, so I can't tell if the coaches are to be parked indoors. If not, that would do nothing to add to the conversation here:-) Looks like the coach is the sleeping quarters, but in winter in Montana?!

http://www.rvoasismontana.com/cabanas.html
Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #129
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOgletree
HoosierGypsy- The insulation I used is called Reflectix, Double Reflective Foil Insulation, and I got it at Lowe's. I got the 2' wide X 25' roll and it fit pretty well without much trimming. I read all 8 pages of this blog and thought through wood, styrofoam, even bales of hay, but decided to wander through Home Depot and Lowes to see what I could find. There's actually a comment in one of the messages about reflective or foil insulation but I didn't really understand what they were talking about. My first thought for using this Reflectix was to tape it to the chrome strip that runs along the bottom of the side of my trailer and I read somewhere in this blog that Gorilla Tape would stick, but it sure wouldn't stick to my strip....although the strip might have been damp when I tried it. I didn't actually notice the little gap under the botttom of the strip until I tried to wedge the insulation against it and damn if it didn't slip right in. I've still got a few little gaps around the bumpers and wheelwells, but it's keeping everything toasty, so "What Me Worry?" I even noticed that an armadillo has moved in under there.....
Might have to use some heat, maybe a blow dryer. What about the 'real' duct tape? The silver stuff, the 600mph tape somebody said they use on jet window repairs? I've had to improvise with that tape on the Trade Wind, and it goes on well, and stays on in rain and freezing.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #130
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGypsy

Hi What type of soft insulation did you use? what kind of tape adheres to the Airstream? Is this a simple task that could be done frequently?
thank you for the info in advance....hoosiergypsy it is nice here but getting too cold at night...
Yes, too cold to get window repairs done this week. Almost too cold to work inside, too.

I'm in Indy, Southside. Where are you?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #131
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm
Somehow I'm having a hard time justifying putting antifreeze in my tanks and lines and trusting that I can flush it all out so my water will be safe to drink or even brush my teeth. Hopefully this will work for the few days we get below freezing down here......
RV antifreeze will not hurt you. Thats why they sell it as RV ANTIFREEZE.
When you flush it out in the spring, usually the second flush removes any trace. It does not appear to spoil the filter ability, but does take a full flush to run clear.
I usually run the bleach on the second flush, which I think is always a good idea after the trailer sits for any length of time. (info on this is available on this site)
Dave[/QUOTE]

About the anti-freeze -- I had a bad cold last month, picked up some of that night-time cold medicine. I read labels of store brands vs big name brands, and in the list I ran across the chemical, propylene glycol.

That's the antifreeze that will hurt you and must be kept away from those who can't read.

And it's in an over the counter syrup.

Pass the brandy for a good ol' toddy next time :-)
Old 12-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #132
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Whittier , California
oh my.... i'm heading south with the birds.... I was thinking of Colorado, but I'll wait. Too much for me as a first timer....plus, I will look forward to stories (survival stories) on the road from you winter bird survivors. I'll learn then! Keep up the posts... so much information to store for future.
OneXOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #133
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne View Post
About the anti-freeze -- I had a bad cold last month, picked up some of that night-time cold medicine. I read labels of store brands vs big name brands, and in the list I ran across the chemical, propylene glycol.

That's the antifreeze that will hurt you and must be kept away from those who can't read.

And it's in an over the counter syrup.

Pass the brandy for a good ol' toddy next time :-)
Car/Automobile antifreeze is either Ethylene glycol (i.e. the sweet cat/dog killing stuff) or some of the "newer" organic concoctions emerging on the market today.

Propylene glycol (i.e. RV antifreeze, ala the pink stuff) is much less toxic, is on the "Generally Regarded as Safe" list, and is actually used in meat products (look at the bacon in your freezer/fridge) as well as in cosmetics (i.e. deodorants, etc).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #134
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Niceville , Florida
I checked out the RVOASIS website and they state that all you have to do is park your RV next to the structure, pull your boat out of the garage and start playing....or something like that. The key is that you park your RV outside......
Old 12-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #135
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedar Lake , Indiana
I presently am in Grove OK. summer in Cedar Lake, In da region..... also part time around Columbus, IN...
will return to Indiana around mid April.....
take care and keep the fires burning
Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #136
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedar Lake , Indiana
also just poured 1/2 gallon of vodka in my fresh water.... it took me quite a bit of flushing to remove the rv anti freeze....I do not intend on being below freezing for long periods of time..or being without heat.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #137
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOgletree View Post
My first thought for using this Reflectix was to tape it to the chrome strip that runs along the bottom of the side of my trailer and I read somewhere in this blog that Gorilla Tape would stick, but it sure wouldn't stick to my strip....although the strip might have been damp when I tried it.
I would not tape anything to the chrome like band in the trim (technically, "extrusion") running around the bottom of the aluminum panels. It's also used along the beltline on many Airstreams. That fake chrome is actually a plastic insert with a sticky backing. Any silver sided tape might pull it out when removed or take the finish off.

There are several types of silver tape on the market. One is called aluminum tape and another has a similar finish and is marketed to seal leaks in pipes. Both stick very well. Duct tape might work, but some brands can be very difficult to remove in one piece and then you have to remove the glue—WD-40 works for that.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #138
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Niceville , Florida
Thanks, Gene. That's good to know. I worried some about getting the tape glue off. So far the reflectix is staying up well just wedged under the trim.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #139

1969 31' Sovereign
Topeka , Kansas
Finally got my actual furnace running. Slowly transitioning to full time. had a oil radiator up to this point to keep the pipes from freezin. also leasing a 500 gal. propane tank for at least the winter for heat. If nothing else it's a learning experience!
farmerfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #140
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thanks for helping me with the facts.

Better living through chemistry, I guess.

Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
Car/Automobile antifreeze is either Ethylene glycol ...

Propylene glycol (i.e. RV antifreeze, ala the pink stuff) ... used in meat products (look at the bacon in your freezer/fridge) as well as in cosmetics (i.e. deodorants, etc).