Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
George, coming to this thread late.

If you haven't decided yet. The southern piedmont area of Virginia is rolling and lovely. There is a lot of land available and relatively cheap. I would look west of Interstate 95, south of Petersburg, and east of the Blue Ridge. Lots small to medium sized towns. Tons of stuff to do all over the state.

But my personal favorite place is in the Shenandoah Valley of VA. I hope to retire there, or find some land and stay there a lot with an AS. The winters are colder there than the Piedmont though.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Agree, the GSOT is full, no room for any more, please ya'll, go west to CA, OR, WA or HI.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We like interesting places and people, but low populations, where you need little heat or air conditioning. That may mean relocating twice a year, and that makes life better too.
We spend six months in the lake country of Minnesota and six months in the Southwest. There are many, many good choices if you can move about a little (that's the reason for the Airstream).

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If you are able now one thing to do would be to buy the airstream and hit the road. Give you a chance to look at the areas and check the local listings. There are a lot of airstream parks where you can stay fairly inexpensively and get a feel for the area. You must have some specific requirments for the area? or not. Off the top of my head here are some areas we liked. Around Pasco, Washington. Climate is moderated and I think you could do it year round. There is a airstream park in Olympia you could stay at for the west coast thing. I fly fish. probably would be Hamilton, Mt for me but not in the winter. We live in Knoxville. Each time I drive north of Nashville I think how pretty the land is in TN and Kentucky. We have a lot in Travelers Rest in Floriday, near Dade City. Nice rural area. Wythville, Va and Floyd Va. I thought about buying a lot or land somewhere and decided against it. We go on the road for 4 or more months each year and I don't want to be tied down to maintaining property. Whoever said "thas why they have wheels" had got it for me.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Look at south central CO - near Antonito. 40+ acre lots available near the Conejos and Pinos Rivers. Very nice and affordable.

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are looking for a year round place. Antonito is not it. Alamosa is about 30 miles north and it can get to -40F in the winter. There are only about 90 days of frost free weather in the San Louis Valley a year.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #27
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
The Forgotten Coast in North Florida

George,

I am here now on the forgotten coast in the panhandle of North Florida. Everything is for sale, much of it right by the water, and around Carrabelle/Eastpoint/Apalachicola Florida, you can grab five acres and be out in the middle of nowhere, yet 15 minutes to anything you need.

Take a look - St. George Island is just down the road, and it's a gorgeous 22 miles of no-crowd beach.

It's the best of both worlds and it's as cheap as I've ever seen it.
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sorry! I misspelled San Luis.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
We live in Virginia close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and we like it here so I am partial to this area. Taxes are cheap, the weather is good and there are lots of good activities to partake of. I would also look in the mountainous areas of Tennessee and North Carolina. West Virginia is pretty although it is very rural. I would look for a run down farmhouse- This way the value will only be in the land, not the house, but you will have electric, a well and a septic system for the trailer. Winter in the Airstream would be tough, but you also may be able to fix up a bathroom and one room to stay in the old farmhouse during the coldest months. You should not have any zoning problems with this approach.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If you are looking for a year round place. Antonito is not it. Alamosa is about 30 miles north and it can get to -40F in the winter. There are only about 90 days of frost free weather in the San Louis Valley a year.
...definitely not a 4-season location. But I've got neighbors that do. Just south of Mogote on CR-9.

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
This is the best place to start a search for land:
Land for sale, acreage for sale, lots for sale, farms for sale at LandWatch.com
Pick a state, county, size and price range.

Good luck
SoCal Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My wife has a farm with 28 acres in central Alabama and there is even a small house on it. We would probably sell it for about what a new Airstream trailer costs. No one would care if you have trailers on it or not. It is on a dirt road though. It is about an hour from Cheaha State park. It is not a bad drive to Birmingham from there either if you have to have your civilization fix.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
real estate