Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2022, 06:56 AM   #1

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
Atlanta , Georgia
Cool What temperature do y'all set your themostat to?

Hey'all, there's so much info on this forum, but I cannot find a single mention of what temperature people like to set their thermostats to during the winter.

I know the user manual says "room temperature" is recommended for winter and it seems that unofficially that temperature may be 68.

However! We are crazy Husky owners and we like to keep cold and bundled up! Sooooo, the real question is, how cold do y'all set your thermostat to during the winter months?

P.S. as an added bonus I presume keeping it colder saves on propane too
Bordemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
At night 60
Daytime 68ish
Never turn your furnace off in freezing temps, and keep it above 55. Get a good dehumidifier. I have camped in temps as low as 9. Enjoy!
Old 11-23-2022, 07:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Lacey , Washington
First, welcome to the forum. This site is a valuable resource for information on a variety of topics.
Now to your question. What temperature do you keep your residence? I would start there then adjust the thermostat accordingly. The AS design may feel cooler to you with all the metal inside the rig. Yes, lower t-stat settings equates to less propane use. You'll also find that using an electric space heater when connected to shore power will be satisfactory.
Again, welcome and enjoy your new rig. Don't be afraid to explore you rig's systems and how they work. Read all the manuals within the factory provided bag, ask your dealer and consult the forum.
WBACI #16885
Gary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I use feather duvets and hot water bottles at night. So 56 is just fine. Heck I grew up in a house where bedroom was 48 most of winter. In the day I can bundle up in a blanket if I'm not outside. So it might be be 62 or so.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Same as home.

56 night. Beddys bed linen. Weighted blanket on top. Queen bed. Two warm bodies. We warm up the bed with a big heating pad at the foot. Me in just my skivvies. DW in long pjs. I’d let it go lower except for the tanks needing the heat in freezing temps…and the bed partner would freeze. Bluetooth to the thermostat to warm the trailer before rising.

64 day.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Smile

Whatever temp my wife (boss) tells me. Happy wife, happy camping life.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:31 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
With no mention of a number of questions .
Have to limit to just what is in your post - if you can put some temp / thermometers near waste drains & water pipes --- to monitor keeping from freezing .
I've camped out as low a -65 F , and still full time in MN as low as around -25 , but average 40 to -15 these days .
I do not use water lines during the winter --- keep 5 gal jugs in shower & heat water on stove - in order to not use water lines / repair etc. in winter .
I have electric space heaters / beside the furnace .
Still have issues with waste / drains freezing [ I think because of using electric space heaters - not warming waste pipes ] , but trying to not use lots of propane - using combination of elec. & furnace - with temps near 58 .

Main thing to get from this is - do not use water lines [ blow out any standing water in lines -- you do not want to have to drop the belly pan for repairs ] .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Would like advice on how long the propane will last at different temperature levels. I have 30 pound tanks. The outside temperatures where I will be all winter will go as low as 15°
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cope View Post
Would like advice on how long the propane will last at different temperature levels. I have 30 pound tanks. The outside temperatures where I will be all winter will go as low as 15°
I have used up a 30 pound tank in as little as six days. That was with lows in the twenties and highs in the thirties or low forties. In a 2013 25FB with thermostat set to 68-70 during the days when occupied, 55-57 at night.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
We set thermostat at 56 for night time. In addition to the furnace we use a small electric heater that helps offset the use of propane. But we keep the electric heater setting low to make sure the furnace runs to protect the underbelly water lines.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #11
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
What temperature do y'all set your themostat to?

3rd full-time winter here in the Mountains of Utah. -10 to 40s. I am a cold sleeper like your huskies. I keep the thermostat set to 45F at night. I have a heated mattress pad that I turn on before bed and that is a game changer. Like slipping in to a warm bath. I then turn it to low for the night.

Have never had any freeze issues even below zero with furnace at 45. In am I crank the heat to warm up the rig, then leave it around 55 all day if I’m home, relying on a small electric heater for the day, till bedtime.

I’m in a 23’, and 30# of propane lasts 3-4 weeks. Bigger rigs will be more obviously. I also do have a vinyl skirt all the way around which keeps under the rig 10-15 degrees warmer than ambient, which helps.

Keep in mind that on most rigs, all the water lines are above the floor (despite the comment that repairs mean ‘dropping the belly pan’. Not true.)

In cold weather the weak point are the dump valves. I have full hookups and leave grey open and of course black closed. In severe cold weather it will be necessary to heat the black dump with a hair dryer or cube heater when it’s time to dump. With the black vinyl skirt and some sun, mine tends to be thawed often if I get a sunny day in the 30s (happens a lot here).

But to your main question—45 on the furnace has been fine. With the water lines above the floor, in general, if you aren’t freezing, neither are they. Depending on rig layout.

I also highly recommend a dessicant type dehumidifier. My windows stay dry and frost free. I use an Ivation 13 pint model. The countertop types are not very effective.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0358.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	425678
pcskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cope View Post
Years ago when my parents would visit friends near the Poconos with highs under 20f they would go through a tank in under 3 days. I'm not sure of the thermostat setting, believe it was somewhere between 60 & 65 with a 31' Airstream, plugged into 15 amp circuit so just furnace for heat.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Tallahassee , FL
We love to bundle up with down comforter at night so we run low 50's with the furnace so we can keep the belly warm and yes saves a bit on propane.
Kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 03:44 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
You do whatever makes you comfortable! Like it cooler, keep it cooler...like it warm, go for it. We often take it up for early morning, down later in the day and off when we are cooking, then low overnight. A ditto for warm summer temps -more air when we are really hot, less when we are not and usually leave it off over night (it's a noisy bugger). Our Airstream responds quite quickly to changes in temperature.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:47 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Rancho Santa Margarita , CA
Unfortunately, I have sinus issues and need to keep it at 69° at night.... below 68° I can't breathe through nose.... PITA
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:53 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
When i am on shore power, an electric heater will keep it wArm until temps get below about 35…..i keep cabinet doors open down in the 20’s but never drain my wAter lines…..if it gets that cold, then camping stops being fun, and i find something else to do……but to your question, i keep my camper 65-70….
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
I like the idea of a skirt to insulate and save on propane. Are inflatable better than vinyl?
DutchB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:27 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
" Keep in mind that on most rigs, all the water lines are above the floor (despite the comment that repairs mean ‘dropping the belly pan’. Not true.) "

In just one [ besides other statements here by this poster ] the line above is condraticing them self .

So this means I did not have multiple repairs over 25 yrs. of waters line THAT WERE BELOW THE FLOOR ,
Must have been a dream / nightmare
How do the above the floor water lines get from one side of the trailer to the other ?
Water from shore entrance on the port side - bath on port side , kitchen sink & tank fill on starboard side ?
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #19
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
What temperature do y'all set your themostat to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTF View Post

How do the above the floor water lines get from one side of the trailer to the other ?
Most often under furniture/cabinetry, through a storage hatch, etc.

And note that I did say ‘most’ rigs not ‘all’. And I’ll amend that to say most modern era rigs.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:05 AM   #20
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchB View Post
I like the idea of a skirt to insulate and save on propane. Are inflatable better than vinyl?

The Airskirts are ridiculous. Cumbersome, very expensive, don’t fully enclose the undersides, and look silly. All you want is to stop airflow. Vinyl skirts can completely seal the underside up with no gaps. Here are some hapless ones that it appears the owner has given up on lol. A couple rows over from me.

Name:	IMG_4653.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	685.5 KB
ID:	425708

Name:	IMG_4654.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	425709