Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2022, 05:01 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
The Airskirts are ridiculous. Cumbersome, very expensive, don’t fully enclose the undersides, and look silly. All you want is to stop airflow. Vinyl skirts can completely seal the underside up with no gaps. Here are some hapless ones that it appears the owner has given up on lol. A couple rows over from me.
I agree PCSkier, totally ridiculous.

These have been really good for laughs when I have seen them at parks. Maybe I am missing something but all around they seem to just be a super fail.
JetstreamAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:24 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetstreamAS View Post
I agree PCSkier, totally ridiculous.

These have been really good for laughs when I have seen them at parks. Maybe I am missing something but all around they seem to just be a super fail.

To each his/her own. I have the Airskirts and have been quite happy with them. This is my second winter using them and they have worked great for me; very effective in helping to prevent freeze and to keep the underbelly warm.
I have not had people “laugh” at them. In fact I’ve had quite a few folks inquire about them so they can purchase them. Don’t knock it til you try it!
StreaminNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:28 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminnp View Post
to each his/her own. I have the airskirts and have been quite happy with them. This is my second winter using them and they have worked great for me; very effective in helping to prevent freeze and to keep the underbelly warm.
I have not had people “laugh” at them. In fact i’ve had quite a few folks inquire about them so they can purchase them. Don’t knock it til you try it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	425717
StreaminNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:41 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminNP View Post
To each his/her own. I have the Airskirts and have been quite happy with them. This is my second winter using them and they have worked great for me; very effective in helping to prevent freeze and to keep the underbelly warm.
I have not had people “laugh” at them. In fact I’ve had quite a few folks inquire about them so they can purchase them. Don’t knock it til you try it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminNP View Post

Yours look more squared away than almost any I have seen, but with those gaps I just don’t see how the efficacy as to heat retention/cold air intrusion pays dividends vs. the hassle of the weight, setup and cost.

Glad it works for you though!
JetstreamAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
55 is the usual number for us.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:40 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
mastic beach , New York
50 Degrees

We turn the thermostat switch on and the temperature control down as low as it will go, about 50 degrees, crawl into sleeping bags and are fine all night. We've done this many times visiting the kids so we don't have to stay inside the trailer all day.

This past weekend in MA one tank emptied and by morning it was 35' in the trailer and 23' outside. We didn't know much of a difference until we exited the sleeping bags.

The trailer was winterized.

Mike
Old 11-27-2022, 07:05 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
Frankly, we cheat.

We don't boondock much so we are almost always plugged in at a state or national park. Since we have a 30 amp line we turn our propane furnace down to 60 or so and then use electric space heaters in what ever space we're using. The 7x10 bedroom is heated quite nicely with a $50 heater from Ace, and we move it to the living room area when we get up. It's surprising how well it will heat the trailer. 34' Classic stays warm where we need it.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:03 PM   #28
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
What We Do

We keep our thermostat set at 43 when below freezing. Furnace will come on in the middle of the night to keep tanks warm.

If we're plugged in, our electric mattress pads keep us toasty warm so 43 is never problematic.

If boondocking, we sleep in our merino wool, down jackets, wool hats and cuddle a little more which works pretty well with a minimum of discomfort.

In the morning, we turn the thermostat up to 55 and we're comfortable by the time our coffee is ready.

Works great for us and we save a ton on propane without sacrificing comfort or having to deal with frozen tanks and pipes.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote