Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Indianapolis , Indiana
Skirting

I'm going to skirt my AS with rigid styrofoam insulation. Is there a special tape to use to attach it to the trailer, and is it best to tape to trim molding or directly to skin of trailer?
mama tarrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How about hay bales? Takes care of a lot of the fit and bonding issues.

Standard tape for foam blocks in most cases is the 3M aluminum stuff. Nothing really sticks very well. The foam it's self has a "dusty" surface that isn't very tape friendly.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:08 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hay bales collect moisture and mice.

Older threads, OP. Not many people use in winter. Search.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama tarrh View Post
I'm going to skirt my AS with rigid styrofoam insulation. Is there a special tape to use to attach it to the trailer, and is it best to tape to trim molding or directly to skin of trailer?
If this is going to be an "every winter" thing for you in the future, here's an idea: Set snaps along the bottom edge of the trailer, and along the top edge of a piece of fabric. Then set grommets along the bottom edge of the fabric so you can stake it down to the ground. Then glue the Styrofoam to the fabric, either to the inside or to the outside, though Styrofoam on the inside of the skirt makes for a neater appearance. If on the inside, you can leave off the Styrofoam at the wheelwells, so the fabric hangs better over the tires.

For ease of handling, you can make the skirt in multiple pieces, held together at the vertical seams with Velcro.

You can use Sunbrella or other awning-type material with good UV and moisture resistance for the skirt, and select a color or pattern that suits your preference.

Setup then consists of simply snapping the foam-padded skirt to the trailer and staking it to the ground to keep it from flapping in the wind. And takedown is easy, too, just pull up stakes and unsnap from the trailer.

Your Airstream skirt will then be a real skirt!
Old 09-14-2017, 06:57 AM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Trailer Skirting for Winter

I was planning on using our trailer this winter (but plans have changed.) I looked into having a canvas shop make a skirting with pockets to hold the styrofoam insulation and that would attach with dome fasteners around the top of the black belly wrap. It wasn't too expensive, but would look good, avoid tape and be reusable. It could also be used for winter camping without taking the styrofoam panels. The skirting has two functions: 1. Insulate the underfloor space and 2. stop the wind from taking the heat out from the floor.

If you use styrofoam by itself you can avoid using tape and also prevent the panels from flying away by rigging a taut rope between opposing panels with a small plywood plate on each panel so the knotted rope won't pull through the styrofoam.

Also, make a wooden curb around the ground following the outline of the trailer and use long eaves trough nails to fasten it into the ground to secure the curb. This is so the panel won't pull in at the bottom when you tighten the ropes. The top of the panel will rest agains the AS. Use house wrap tap to cover the seams of the styrofoam. The hardest part will be around the corners, but you could just make them square and put a triangular gusset in the top (carved to fit the gap.)

You could also use some foam weather strips adhered to the panels top and bottom to make an even tighter seal.

If you have electric power a couple of 100 watt incandescent light bulbs will help to keep the temperature under the trailer above freezing.

Humidity will be a major concern inside so you might want to invest in a dehumidifier too.

In anticipation of winter camping I also added a Dickinson Newport propane fireplace. This unit draws in combustion air from outside and the double walled chimney. This is better than the catalytic type propane heaters which add a large amount of water vapour (and deplete the oxygen) in the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dickinson Marine Fireplace 4.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	294810

Good luck - it will be a good adventure.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Re the added heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
<< snip >>
This unit draws in combustion air from outside and the double walled chimney. This is better than the catalytic type propane heaters which add a large amount of water vapour (and deplete the oxygen) in the trailer.
<< snip>>
I considered this heater too, but read some people have had issues. I contacted the manufacturer regarding problems with the heater being used at high elevations. The rep I corresponded with told me the heater is designed for marine use at sea level, but RV use is ok except at high elevations. I camp often at 4,000'+.

My question to you: what has your experience with this heater been at higher elevations?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I considered this heater too, but read some people have had issues. I contacted the manufacturer regarding problems with the heater being used at high elevations. The rep I corresponded with told me the heater is designed for marine use at sea level, but RV use is ok except at high elevations. I camp often at 4,000'+.

My question to you: what has your experience with this heater been at higher elevations?
We have used it at about 2,000' (565m) in NH, but are generally at less than 600' (176m). Works great. Not sure why it wouldn't work OK at higher elevation at lower heat output. Dickinson also makes a wood burning stove.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Escondido , CA
Just a thought on SKIRTING

Has anyone ever tried using an air mattress as a skirting device? I have a 20' Argosy and I'm thinking of getting a several twin sized air mattresses and placing them under the belly of my rig. I'm curious if anyone has tried this method of skirting.
Workbench is offline   Reply With Quote