Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #41

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM View Post
Thank you Btowntincan -- I asked my hubby to respond to your question since he is the one who tows. Here is his response:

No it does not perform like towing on a dry street.
I have been driving in all different snow conditions for over 40 years.
All different types of snow conditions can create different challenges.
In slushy snow you are inconsistently hydroplaning. Drop your speed appropriately for those conditions.
There are some kinds of icy conditions where you have little or no control. Do not drive in those conditions. Stop at the nearest rest stop or parking lot and wait it out.
Deep fresh lighter snow is manageable and is better snow to drive in than the former two types of snow conditions. Drop your speed appropriately.
If you have to drive in snow, compact snow is preferable. Drop your speed appropriately.
It is a benefit if the department of transportation is plowing and sanding the roads. Do not let this give you over confidence.
If you are approaching a mountain pass or hill with little or no shoulder to pull off onto, chain up well before entering the steeper grade.
Avoid driving at night in snow and ice conditions.
When driving an RV or towing a coach in severe winter conditions drive slower, leave lots of room between you and other vehicles, travel in the right hand lane, don't lock up your breaks even if they are ABS, never spin your tires, and carry chains.

Think Snow,

Jeff
My wife and I love your Blog, as well, and just recently bought a 2008 Safari 25FB SE similar to your former 2006. We have been inspired to go to Container store to get organized, as well as to use our Airstream in the cold weather. Although we are not in the cold now (we live in Austin, but spend a great deal of time in Colorado and would like to use it at ski resorts) and I am very curious how you keep your water tanks from freezing during the commute to the ski resort (I understand running the heater when parked to keep them from freezing, but do you leave the thermostat on during the commute, too)? Just curious how you avoid antifreeze (or do you?)...and any more detail as to how you manage your water in the winter months would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the newbie question, but you guys really seem to be setting an example for how to live comfortably in the Airstream in cold weather...

Jason
jgreager is offline   Reply With Quote