Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Resident Home and Part-Time Summer/Winter Airstreaming

Those that camp part-time or for a season away from their home, what, in your opinion, is the best type of home to have for the part-time lifestyle.

I've been contemplating this for some time and thought I would get some opinions on what and why for the type of home that best suits a part-time Airstreamer. I've read a lot on full-timing but those that maintain a home and travel off for part of the year, What type of home works well for that lifestyle?

I ask because of my upcoming move and considering trailer storage, leaving my home unattended for months, and overall costs. Off the top, a condo seems great but the fees are astronomical and then there's the trailer storage too. Ideas? I plan on relocating in FL to the counties of either Clay, Duval, Nassau or St Johns- Jacksonville region.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome to what drives many to full time

One way to impact the costs is to rent out your "full time" home 6 months out of the year. That involves some planning and compromise. You will at least have wear and tear issues when renting. Having somebody to keep an eye on things (and how good they are at it) is normally the biggest concern.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yes, I understand that too. I've thought about that the only thing is that for several years I lived with my "first home" furnishings and since 2005 bought nice furnishings that were substantial to finally outfit a home nicely. Though I cannot take them with me on the road or obviously when I die, I hate to dump everything so costly as I would not be able to rebuy in retirement. Budgeting is tuff!
Old 07-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
We thought we would do apt living, thereby giving us most flex with least upkeep. We hated apt living so we bought a cabin in the woods.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Yes, I understand that too. I've thought about that the only thing is that for several years I lived with my "first home" furnishings and since 2005 bought nice furnishings that were substantial to finally outfit a home nicely. Though I cannot take them with me on the road or obviously when I die, I hate to dump everything so costly as I would not be able to rebuy in retirement. Budgeting is tuff!
Hi

Since you are moving, move the best of the "good stuff" into storage. Replace it with something you can barely live with.

The bigger question is - what's the ultimate objective? If a down size is part of it, that's one thing. If full time is the goal, that's different.

One compromise is a "house sitter". You get no net income. Somebody looks after things. You have some level of control over who it is and what they are supposed to do. The local neighbor kids make good money off of us that way ...

Bob
Old 07-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Thanks Uncle Bob. Basically I am talking five rooms or about 1200 square feet of space outfitted so there is not a lot but storage it seems is one of few options. I am currently a recent retiree of about three weeks and am in the process of purging the little things- trinkets, files, books, unused appliances, etc. The downsizing is not much more than that. Most of the furniture I would want to keep- Theodore Alex, Maitland Smith, Ethan Allen, Ekornes etc. I waited for years to buy, to buy nice and never thought of this travel aspect until now. It has me rethinking everything. The goal is more to prepare a dual habitation of winter - home in FL and summer Airstream anywhere.

@Goal15- apt is an option like condo but, it might be cheaper.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A "gated community" might be an option. You still own a stand alone home. You are not responsible for the outdoor part of the upkeep. You do pay "dues" to get that all done. They may / may not be worse than contracting for everything. In some parts of Florida roughly half the residents of these places are snow birds. Some even come *with* a storage area for trailers

Bob
Old 07-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Not exactly what you are asking but might be relevant.

Both my Brother and I have been full time in our streams for 5 and 3 years respectively. He has been mostly volunteering in Fla state parks in N Fla.
I've been exploring the South west and west coast.

We just bought a place about 25 miles inland from Panama City Beach.
With the plan to build pole house structures to park in and to have some storage/ shop space in as well as a screened porch living area tied directly to our rigs when they are parked in the structure.

The place we got is just under 2 acres and if things go to plan we are thinking to create a few other sites to rent to others that want to have a base camp set up.
We are hoping to establish a little community of like minded folks that will allow some flexibility for all of us to be able to continue to travel part time with a comfortable secure place to come back to.

This a bit different from what you are describing, but may be another option to consider. We are aiming to use the livability of our coaches year around and just build enough to enhance that capability they offer at our base camp.
Thus saving the need to store when not traveling, and not needing to completely duplicate the livability in having a complete house too.

Two friends of my Brother, both longtime vollunteers at parks, have expressed interest in renting and also building similar pole barn structures for themselves.

This seem a niche in the RV world that is not being addressed by the RV industry. Unless you are happy in typical close spaced sites.
And is hard to fill in most brick and mortar neighborhoods with their zoning guidelines.

We are in the process of persuing a variance for our place that will allow our planned use, fingers crossed.

I wish you the best in finding a situation that fits your needs.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
We just bought a place about 25 miles inland from Panama City Beach.
Interesting Tevake. Something like a port home situation. Panama City is pretty far but your idea is nice, more full-time but with a home barn per se.

After digging today looking at real estate options I can say that a condo AND trailer storage are major expenses. The only way a condo type home would work is to have on-site RV and boat storage as an amenity. My relatives mentioned a patio home.!? Sounds like a house aminium.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Stay with the trailer full time?

After the past 15 years in Australia, when returning I didn't have a lot of baggage, so have decided the 2016, 25, FC would do it all, year around. Then decided to simply park the AS as a permanent residence for myself, taking trips with a motorhome. Next I add a removable deck, and have a garden shed for extra stuff. This simplicity avoids having another property to worry about when away. My AS is safe when away due to parking on a daughter's property. So each case will be a little different. Good collection of issues you have brought out. Good wishes.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote