Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Question Questions - Re-insulating for Cold Weather

Hello,

I want to get the highest value insulation I can in my vintage Airstream so that it can withstand longterm living in a colder climate (western Pennsylvania). I've been told that Blue Dow has the highest R-value per inch, followed by Polystyrene, then pink fiberglass. I've also been told that Blue Dow presents a fire hazard and should not be used for RV insulation by someone who restores Airstreams for a living, and that they recommend the polycyanurate panels. But I also know HitchHikers use Blue Dow to insulate..

What is the difference between Polycyanurate and Polystyrene insulation?

What is the safest & best insulation to put in an RV?

What other things should I be asking in regards to keeping the Airstream temperate inside (I'm a total newbie)?

Thanks in advance! I've learned so much from these forums over the last few weeks lurking - very helpful with my dream!

Brock
BrockLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Brock -- Welcome to the Forums! My dad was from Clarion -- you've got a beautiful state!

This is a tall subject that has occupied a lot of time here at the Forums. Have you checked out the Winter Living subforum, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462/?

Issues cover topics like insulation (conductive aluminum ribs!), water, waste, condensation, and on and on. How you answer these can vary between whether you want a mobile Airstream vs. a stationery one.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Question Crosspost: Re-insulation Questions

Hello,

Crossposting this from General Repairs -

I want to get the highest value insulation I can in my vintage Airstream so that it can withstand longterm living (but still remain mobile) in a colder climate (western Pennsylvania). I want to reinsulate the entire trailer between the walls with the most punch possible and am exploring my options.

I've been told that Blue Dow has the highest R-value per inch, followed by Polystyrene, then pink fiberglass. I've also been told that Blue Dow presents a fire hazard and should not be used for RV insulation by someone who restores Airstreams for a living, and that they recommend the polycyanurate panels. But I also know HitchHikers use Blue Dow to insulate their 5ers..

What is the difference between Polycyanurate and Polystyrene insulation?

What is the safest & best insulation to put in an RV?

What other things should I be asking in regards to keeping the Airstream temperate inside (I'm a total newbie)?

Thanks in advance! I've learned so much from these forums over the last few weeks lurking - very helpful with my dream!

Brock
Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Thanks Bob! We sure do, especially here in the Laurel Highlands

I crossposted with a little more information there. I also checked out a lot of threads and made extensive notes (I'm back to doing that after this post)!

Brock
Old 07-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Say Brock, it is neither necessary nor desirable to crosspost threads here. Moderators act to put them back together. I did merge them and kept the product in the Winter Living subforum. Your question will probably stay higher on the list in that subforum anyway. Summer weekends see participation drop off around here -- I'll look in on this later Sunday and make sure you're getting some views.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Brock,

I think I would use fiberglas because of the ease of insulation. If doing mine over again I would also use rubber tape for a thermal break at the ribs.

Under the floor where you can use flat pieces I would certainly use polyisocyanurate with foil backing. It has a high R-value, is readily available, and is fairly inexpensive.

Here is a list of R-values. I believe the Blue Dow would be extruded polystyrene. The Hitch Hiker claims that Blue Dow is better than the white bead insulation (expanded polystyrene). I would stay away from the white stuff as it falls apart.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #7

Balto. , Maryland
water system question

Hello. Not only am I interested in freeze prevention issues, but I would also like to post a question about the water system in general. I am hoping to purchase an Airstream to use as a lont-term temporary residence and want to know if a water hook-up from a well would provide too much pressure. Can the Airstream water system tolerate a water pressure from a well water source? Thank you.

Bob
rdorrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorrett
Hello. Not only am I interested in freeze prevention issues, but I would also like to post a question about the water system in general. I am hoping to purchase an Airstream to use as a lont-term temporary residence and want to know if a water hook-up from a well would provide too much pressure. Can the Airstream water system tolerate a water pressure from a well water source? Thank you.

Bob
The Airstream will come with an internal water regulator. If the trailer is an older model, I would have the regulator checked or purchase an inline model from any RV supply house. They also sell them (cheap ones in plastic) at Walmart.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote