Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Woodland Park , Colorado
Puttin a skirt on her...

Despite the controversy re: puttin a skirt on in the winter, I have decided to pull out all of the stops. Any easy, somewhat astheticly pleasing skirtin options? Prefab stuff for AS? I would rather not have to drill holes in the perimeter of the tin can. Adhesive velcro? Pictures? Thank you all so much.
movin-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
_

. , .
didn't u ask this question last week?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...can-68360.html

not a LOT new to add but searching the S word will find other threads besides those linked a few days ago...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
I used 1 inch rigid styrofoam (pink) comes in sheet 2 ft wide by 8 ft long. I covered in foil bubble wrap like the wrap for water heaters in your house. The foil matched the aluminum of the trailer. I just made a box around it and for the front and back I made horizontal lid for the box that were cut to match the curve of the trailer. I used aluminum foil tape to secure it to the sides of the trailer. I put two halogen 150 watt work lights under the trailer and left them on all winter. One was under the floor in the living room and the other was under the bedroom. My floor was toasty warm all winter. The water and sewer line were wrapped with pipe insulation and had electric line heat under the pipe insulation. My water and sewer never froze. I had to cut a little access door in order to reach my dump valves so I could empty the holding tanks when needed. Sorry I do not have any pictures as this was several years ago I did that. I hope this helps you.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Wyoming , Ohio
This sounds like a great solution with the with the skirting and the halogen lamps.

What part of the country were you in?

Did you have to use propane furnace heat? I'm thinking I may get through an Ohio winter using the halogens and skirting and ceramic heaters in the trailer. Avoid some of the moisture from the propane heat.
AirStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
I used 1 inch rigid styrofoam (pink) comes in sheet 2 ft wide by 8 ft long. I covered in foil bubble wrap like the wrap for water heaters in your house. The foil matched the aluminum of the trailer. I just made a box around it and for the front and back I made horizontal lid for the box that were cut to match the curve of the trailer. I used aluminum foil tape to secure it to the sides of the trailer. I put two halogen 150 watt work lights under the trailer and left them on all winter. One was under the floor in the living room and the other was under the bedroom. My floor was toasty warm all winter. The water and sewer line were wrapped with pipe insulation and had electric line heat under the pipe insulation. My water and sewer never froze. I had to cut a little access door in order to reach my dump valves so I could empty the holding tanks when needed. Sorry I do not have any pictures as this was several years ago I did that. I hope this helps you.

Excellent, practical, cost effective specification for latitudes North of the Mason-Dixon Line. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Installed temporarily

I put a skirt on mine every winter. I live in it full time and it makes a huge difference in retaining heat. Mine is made of plywood. I have full sheets cut in thirds at the hardware store. I have a heat lamp underneath that I turn on at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KINDLE_CAMERA_1415118924000.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	226430  
terrencecolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Moscow , Idaho
I'm just using hay bails currently. Do think that's a silly idea? I think it's working...
Cody Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Madison View Post
I'm just using hay bails currently. Do think that's a silly idea?
Sounds environmentally friendly and fiscally responsible, just make sure the cows are in another pasture!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote