Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
New Advice for Snow on AS

We de-winterized our 30 foot Classic in hopes of going to NW Arkansas this weekend for a Civil War Re-enactment. We filled the water tank and low and behold are in the midst of a "thunder-snow" storm. Needless to say, we cancelled our trip and I'm worried about the snow and cold affecting the AS. I've got the AS plugged into the house current (30 amp) on heat-pump mode with cabinet doors open. I'm concerned that the snow will accumulate to high on the roof to block the access to the ceiling unit. Any advice? We've never de-winterized before until the snow was long gone. Thanks
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Turn the furnace on, it will protect the tanks and any pipes under the belly. You will be fine.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Yep. Turn the furnace on to protect your tanks. We are in the same situation. We brought the trailer home from storage and it has been snowing ever since. We have camped in snow and cold and have never had any issues other than some condensation inside.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
We de-winterized our 30 foot Classic in hopes of going to NW Arkansas this weekend for a Civil War Re-enactment. We filled the water tank and low and behold are in the midst of a "thunder-snow" storm. Needless to say, we cancelled our trip and I'm worried about the snow and cold affecting the AS. I've got the AS plugged into the house current (30 amp) on heat-pump mode with cabinet doors open. I'm concerned that the snow will accumulate to high on the roof to block the access to the ceiling unit. Any advice? We've never de-winterized before until the snow was long gone. Thanks
Turning the furnace on to a temperature of about 50 to 55 degrees, will protect the trailer. Also open all the cabinet doors that are hiding plumbing.

If you decide not to do that, freeze damages will happen, guaranteed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Looking at forecasts for SW Missouri, and knowing that Wildwood is a bit further north, I would probably go through the tedious, but quick task, if you've done it before, of blowing the lines of all water, and doing all of the above.

We've got nights down in the lower 20's coming for the next couple of days.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
As the others have said, I'd opt for the furnace unless you are low on propane. One of the dangers is that even though the heat pump has a de-ice function, it can be inadequate if enough ice forms on those outside coils. Here's a picture of my Classic on an October camping trip to Branson. Check out the white which is ice on the coils. There was high humidity outside and when we got back to the trailer, it was about 48 inside since the heat pump couldn't extract any heat from the outside coils due to them being encased in a block of ice.

Also consider either lighting the water heater (assuming it also is full), or if you have a gas/electric unit, turn it on electric. That tank is pretty well insulated, but the vent will expose the tank to the cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ice.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	497.3 KB
ID:	181689  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote