Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Aurora , Colorado
Is an Airstream right for me?

I'm in the research/planning stages of determining if a full time RV lifestyle is for me. I do not expect to "save money" by living in an RV, I want to do it to be an air-conditioned gypsy. Call it my mid-life crisis. I've read on this forum that cold and Airstreams don't really mix well.

My requirements:

- Travel trailer as opposed to a 5th wheel, to be towed with a full size van. I own a half-ton right now, am looking around for 4x4 1-ton.

- Snow and cold. Lots of snow and lots of cold. Part of my expectations are that I could choose to work seasonally at whatever ski area in North America I wanted. I love to ski and snowboard and this is non-negotiable in my little list of pros and cons.

- Quality construction and durability, the properties that attracted me to the Airstream brand in the first place.

- Ability to be customized. I don't want to live in an "RV" with room for 5 to sleep, I want to create a "home" that can be towed at will. Myself and two dogs.

- A wood stove. This is also non-negotiable in my eyes. I think one designed for boat living would be perfect.

- Boondocking. Must be able to boondock.

My abilities:

- I can buck and gun rivets plus I can form simple aluminum shapes, another reason A/S appeals to me.

- I've built cars and 4x4s down to the bolt.

- I've worked residential and commercial construction my whole life.

- I'm as good with electrical and mechanical systems as any other "handyman".

My reservations:

- Those aluminum ribs. With such a good conductor of heat I worry that even with severe customization I would not be able to get the interior as heat efficient as, say, an Arctic Fox.

- If I don't use an A/S would I be able to achieve the level of customization I desire? (these two play off of each other: Do I burn more fuel or live with a trailer I don't really like?)

- The plumbing and such. I really don't know anything about A/S construction but from what I've gathered reading this forum they have a full belly pan. Can the plumbing be adequately insulated (discounting any shore connections) if the interior is maintained at 55 degrees F? What if I redo the plumbing from scratch?

So:

Could a motivated individual turn an old shell of an Airstream into a viable 4 season platform or should I be looking at the "true" 4 season trailers? I am not afraid of fabrication work if there is some known way to create a dead air space between the skins.
Sean Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
IMO, Airstreams are really just 3 season trailers...

Sounds like if you haven't already, you might want to read this oldie-but-goodie.

Winter Living

I always get a kick out of it with each read...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Oh my God, I love that one. I was just about to ask 2air if he knew where it was......
It needs to go in the Hall of Fame.

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
Maybe something like this is more up your alley....

Popomo
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
I suggest a Bigfoot. Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer - 2500 Series Travel Trailers They have dual pane windows and enclosed, heated tanks, etc. They are 4-season campers, but not stick-built, so they will outlast others. Extremely good quality.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
There is also a thread somewhere (can't find it) about how the writer passed his winter in his AS. The notable thing was IMHO that he DID install a very small wood stove.

Anyone remember that thread...?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Sounds like if you haven't already, you might want to read this oldie-but-goodie.

Winter Living

I always get a kick out of it with each read...

Shari
Hol-eeeee crap. OK, so that's pretty much off the table, thanks. Can you make these things conform to your will though? If the answer is no, that's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRoffe View Post
Maybe something like this is more up your alley....

Popomo
Just... no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
I suggest a Bigfoot.
Well, then. Thanks for that, another brand I hadn't seen yet.
Sean Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I am looking for an Airstream to stay in while I follow the Rodeo Circuit. I got a dodge 2500 diesel for pulling a horse trailer. There are quite of few Rodeo People that have them. They are real nice to live in.

Billy
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote