Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I survived the winter storm in Houston!

Full timing in my FC and did fine.
Started with the waste tanks at least half full, full fresh water, propane lasted fine with conserative use, I did need extra juice from my neighbor's genny once the power stayed out though.
I just didn't foresee hard freezes and power outages for days this close to the Gulf when not camping heheh .....like most people.. Looks like a Honda genny is on my shopping list.
Can't stand knowing it could happen again and I wouldn't be ready. ..
The Airstream weathered it like a champ though with the furnace running...and I am happy...
I hope anyone else in similar circumstances had similar good fortune.. best wishes to all affected adversely by the storm..
Brian, in Tx.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Hi opinionated Newb!
Welcome to the Airstream rodeo!
Good move on the generator.Champion makes some nice gas + dual fuel generators ( inverter and the dreaded open frame, like I run)
Half the price of a Honda, more power for the $$, and reliable.Then, you can have a backup for the backup, same price, more power probably...
Good job making it thru the chilly Texas weather!
Old 02-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #3
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
generator capability..?

Thanks B.Cole!

As a full timer still employed full time space is the obstacle at the moment, where to put that dang genny all the time that I don't use it?

Which makes me look at that Honda, but is that sufficient to run the furnace fan plus the basic electronics around the Airstream? FC25 here...

Does anybody know? I kinda assumed because it's draw isn't much but I'm not too hip yet with the electrical needs/draws equivalences and stuff...

I'd appreciate some yays or nays...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 02-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
Thanks B.Cole!

As a full timer still employed full time space is the obstacle at the moment, where to put that dang genny all the time that I don't use it?

Which makes me look at that Honda, but is that sufficient to run the furnace fan plus the basic electronics around the Airstream? FC25 here...

Does anybody know? I kinda assumed because it's draw isn't much but I'm not too hip yet with the electrical needs/draws equivalences and stuff...

I'd appreciate some yays or nays...
A honda 2200 would easily do it. It wouldn’t run the heat pumps (maybe with easy start), but you could run the furnace and the lights. The question is do you have a gas or LP for fuel, and for that there are pros and cons. The nice thing about the Honda is they are light and quiet. I have two so that I can run an AC unit when I need it. You can run them in parallel with the right configuration. But just one will take care of most things. Run as much other stuff on LP.

They are also very reliable, and you can get them fixed about anywhere. They are spendy, but they are the gold standard. A 3500watt is pretty heavy to lug around. I think the Honda 2200 weighs about 45 lbs.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Furnace fan draws very little. You could probably set up your TV to use its power to keep things charged without a generator, of that's really your only use for a generator.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thumbs up good to hear

Thank you for the confirmation Daquenzer, great to hear that!

Can I ask you though... Will those E2200s fit in the main storage compartment? I noticed the width is close to what my compartment opening is, will measure to be sure of course..just thinking ahead... until I get a cover for the p/u bed or a topper ... Do ya just trow them in yer TV bed when you're out?

Magnet18 At first I actually ran it attached to the TV for a few hours having read enough hear to know it was something to try, only issue I thought of was that with the power out everywhere locally fuel was hard to get (very..) ideally I wanted to conserve the TV gas for when I needed it to go for food etc, or work should they call and say... "Yer up!"
As a side note the battery didn't gain any charge hooked to the TV, but it did seem to maintain. I had power for 12 hrs from Mon a.m.-Wed p.m.

Thx for the feedback, it is appreciated