Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Post Falls , Idaho
Lisa,
I once left the snow on my truck topper and drove 25 miles to town. It melted enough that when I came to the first stop light all the snow came crashing down over my windshield. They give tickets for having snow on your car for that reason. It sounded like everything in my truck bed was moving forward and going to come through the truck. It's dangerous as you can't see after it's on your front window and your wipers may not be able to clear it quick enough to avoid an accident. It really shocked me when it happened. I heard all this noise coming from the back of my truck then all of a sudden and avalanche of snow and water covered my windshield. Learning through experience.
CEDRICWARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Post Falls , Idaho
Shacksman,
I went to the thread this pic came from. What a sad thing to happen after all the restoration work he did. I haven't finished reading the entire thread yet. I've done some interior restoration on my Silver Streak when I took off the front room paneling to re-insulate. That was plenty of work for me, especially while living in the trailer while doing it. My underside skin had rotted out in the rear and needs to be repaired as it got damages when I pulled the trailer into a large hole in a campground years ago and damaged the skin and the brace that the dump tank attaches to and put a crack in the tank. It's all rusty down there and very hard to work on due to very limited clearance between ground and trailer bottom. I can't imagine what Chris has done with his damaged Airstream. I know winter was very bad everywhere, but that is a strange failure of the roof on his restored trailer, especially as he didn't seem to have done anything to his main body. His repairs were on his frame and floor. It seems wise to clear snow when winter gets severe. It's not even safe to park your stuff under a less than safe shelter that could also collapse and damage whatever is under it. Thanks for the pic.
Cedric Ward
Athol, ID
Old 08-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Post Falls , Idaho
Caryl,

It's always nice to see folks that have had a disaster happen to their homes still have their trailer to live in. People in Washington state just lost about 300 homes to the record state fire here. One mobile park just got mangled by falling trees after our recent severe thunderstorm that roared through here last week.Trees down everywhere both uprooted and snapped off mid trunk. Lots of people with need of a new place to live. Some disaster happening all the time. Makes you wonder if having a permanent home is worth it. Even insurance doesn't alway help soon enough. It's a must to be sure what your insurance covers and trailer full timers need to really check out their coverage before the disaster arises. Most policies have some type of exception in the small print that you don't want to discover after the fact.
Cedric Ward
Athol, ID
Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDRICWARD View Post
Skater,
Just wanted to be clear...the pins that failed weren't the pins that are used to secure the legs after extending them, it was the tiny pins near the electric motors that keep the legs from being able to fall into the main jack leg tube. I forget what it looks like...have some pics in some back up files somewhere, but when it let go, it gashed the steel box that my propane tanks were in.
Fair enough - I'm not familiar with 5th wheels at all. My main point was that the roof wasn't the weak point.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Post Falls , Idaho
Skater

There isn't anything really different about 5th wheels and pull trailers except the way you hook them up and back them up due to the pivot point.
The roof on my 5th wheel was flat and felt very strong compared to either my Airstream or my Silver streak which will dent easily if you don't walk on the braces.
I know how those are braced. I have no idea how the flat roof on 5th wheels are braced. They are rubberized and feel very solid.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I am not 100% on this, but I am pretty sure that the Airstream that collapsed under the weight of snow was gutted to the exterior skin.

This makes a big difference with regard to shell strength.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Spangle , Washington
Weight of water

26 inches of water is only 135.2 lbs per square foot. If a 200 pound person can safely walk on your roof stepping on the structural ribs, I do not see a problem with 26 inches of wet snow.
polevault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Edmonds , Washington
One pound of snow is equal to one pound of hammers or 2 half pounds of feathers. The more important question is....What's a Hen weigh?
loriinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Google tells me 15-20 lbs per cubic foot for snow. Doesn't sound like much but if you had an area that was 7' x 25' covered with 2 feet of snow it would weigh between 5,250 lbs and 7,000 lbs!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #50
ToyHouse

2014 27' FB Classic
Quesnel , British Columbia
For many years my RV's stayed out in the cold and snow. I learned the hard way not to brush snow off . It is quite easy to damage vent caps etc. mind you I live in Northern BC and don't usually see deep wet snow falls. Mostly drier snow accumulations to total maximums of 2 ft. Today my toys ,AS included, are under cover. Tom
ThomasHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
One pound of snow is equal to one pound of hammers or 2 half pounds of feathers. The more important question is....What's a Hen weigh?
I don't know, but you have some updoc on your shoulder.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Spangle , Washington
Angry snow weight

2 feet of snow weighing 40 lbs per cu ft on a 7 foot rib spaced @12 inches is 280 lbs on that rib, if spaced @ 18 inches it has a load of 420 lbs etc. If you have a 5000 lb trailer and add 7000 lbs of snow, what pressure do you need in the tires for that added load?
polevault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
The problem is when the snow melts or compresses and there are more dumps.
I use a leaf blower to remove it while still fluffy ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote