Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Heat Tape - Dumb Question

I'm fulltiming in my 22' CCD. It's eastern Virginia so while we do get winter it's usually short.

I went to Home Depot last night to buy some heat tape for my water line and Sewer Solution line. There right on the wrapper was a warning that it should NOT be used for RV hoses, only for home plumbing (copper, PVC, etc.)

So... should I just ignore the warning or is there a different type of heat tape for RV's and if so, where do I buy it. I suppose I could use the bath house and dry camp from Mid December to March 1, but the plastic bag in the potty idea is somehthing I'd rather not have to do. (Of course I suppose I could set the bag outside had have an icicle to dispose of... uh, no.)

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Paula,
I have used heat tape with my sewer solution when camping for short periods at temps below freezing. I found that running the tape parallel with the solution drain hose and using tie wraps to hold it against the hose worked and would not over heat the drain hose like wrapping the heat tape around it would. In addition, I ran the drain hose in a piece of 11/2" PVC pipe to provide some insulation against wind and to establish to correct slope on the sewer solution hose to allow it to drain without holding water. Use your on-board water and pump rather than trying to keep a hose from freezing. You just use your faucet and hose to refill your water tank as needed. Drain the hose and keep inside between fills.
This seemed to work for me.
Mark