Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Frozen shower drain trap

It's the 1st winter for the Mrs. & I fulltiming. I thought I had it all figuered out. Heat strip on the water supply hose wrapped in foam pipe insulaters. propane in the tank for the furnaces. Leaving the cupbaord doors & drawers open slightly over night to help airflow around pipes. Household fiberglass insulation around dump valves to prevent freezing down there.

Then it got down to 15 degrees here in Northern Georgia. BRRR.. Got up the next morn, started the coffee brewing, Then hit the showers. It didn't take long for my feet to be swiming in water. Didn't realize that the drain trap is below the floor level in a Classic MH. MH's don't have a belly pan to help the furnace keep the pipes thawed.

The 1st bright idea I had was to use a cup to scoop out the cold water out. After letting the water get hot, I ran all 6 gals. into the shower. Did'nt work. Drank coffe & pondered a while. Hmmm.

2nd idea worked so well, I had to share it. I let the hot water tank heat up again. Only this time I let the 6 gals. run down the kitchen drain into the holding tank. I figured the heat would rise into the trap to thaw it out. Darn, I was thinking about it so much I forgot that the dump valve was open & lost all that hot water. Let it heat up another 6 gals. while I closed the dump valve. Let that hot water run down the kitchen sink into the grey tank now closed. The shower drain trap thawed in less than an hour enough to let the water in the shower flow out.

Now when it's going to get cold I pour a small amount of pink antifreeze into the drian. Just use about a coffee cup amount to fill the trap.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Good thinking!

Also very lucky you didn't flush the terlet while you had left the dump open!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
This one goes under "Print & Save", Thanks!
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
A hair dryer to the exposed trap on the underside of the trailer works quickly too. Don't ask me how I know this.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Good problem solving. I bet you don't need that much antifreeze in the trap at Georgia temps. And probably a Tbsp. or so of salt would also work.

Actually, you could test this for us all: try putting less and less in each night until it freezes solid again - then we'll know how little one can get away with!!!!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote