Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
le mars , Iowa
Extended stay in Florida

We are seriously considering purchasing an AS TT this summer.

Since we live in the mid west, we would expect to winter in Florida. We currently rent homes or condos for a couple of months each winter. Our question is: can someone please suggest a park somewhere around the Ft Myers area that we could take a look at. We are presently in the Bradenton area and have driven by several campgrounds that do not look like any place I would like to stay for a week, let alone a couple of months. Guess we are looking for something with a little space in between TTs......I am afraid if this is not possible, it may be a deal breaker for the AS.

Thanks,
a
iowaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I've been using the Good Sam web site to check out various places. They have a very good rating system for the park infrastructure / bathrooms / appeal.

I don't think you'll find much space between trailers, at least I haven't, except in the state parks, but they have a 14 day limit, then you have to leave for a day. Private parks in major cities (if they're good) are full up until April. They want the long term renters, 3-months+. They'll take a reservation for November for less, if they have room.

That's been my experience thus far
We are getting ready to leave and head down there. We've managed to cobble together a month of parking in 2 different state parks. It means a lot of moving around. We have 2 5-day spots a 2-day spot and a 14-day spot. Since I didn't even start until 2 weeks ago I think I did OK. At least we'll be warmer than where we are now. We'll get to visit relatives and see some sites.

Good luck, don't give up
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Good Sam and Woodals rate rv parks in their directories and describe the size of their camp sites.
Land is expensive in Florida and even very nice rv parks there tend to have smaller sites. Sometimes pretty landscaping can gave you a bit of privacy.
Lets face it everybody in the rust belt and snow belt wants to be someplace warm for the winter and Florida tends to be crowded with rvs from after Christmas through March. Other states that are not quite as warm like Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi are not as crowded and the rural areas may have rv parks with bigger sites.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote