Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Electric heaters, recommendations

we would like to find an electric heater that we could take with us to supplement our furnace/heat pump. Safety features, reliability/quality, compact size are desirable. Is there a brand or mfg. that is better than average, most seem to have some issues?
thanks
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi there. We went with a Dyson which was later subject to recall and the way they handled that - combined with the effectiveness of the product - earns my recommendation. Lots of choices and I would guess a few threads on this topic to search (I haven't figured it out yet on the new app :-) ). Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
A number of people we know swear by this Dyson:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B04Z3NO/...E0WK6JUX&psc=1

We don't like the little ceramic heater we now have because it doesn't project the heat out very far from the unit and will be buying the above Dyson as soon as we get to a fixed address for a couple of weeks (for shipping.)
Old 01-03-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

What has worked well for us since our first Stream in 1988....

Polonis Disc 1500w, automatic variable speed fan, tip switch. All metal, (not sure on the new models.)

Outside

Inside

Outlet temp

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We bought a DualFlame electric heater that looks like a fireplace (if you don't look too closely) for our MH. That provides most of the heat for the front of the coach when we're parked, and the rear furnace provides the heat for the back half and the wet bay. I have a small electric heater there, too, more as a belt and suspenders thing.

Since an Airstream doesn't have a wet bay like a MH does, how DO you keep that area warm?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Lasko ceramic tower

We use the Lasko ceramic tower in the AS and the house. It has a thermostat, oscillator, auto shut-off and hi-lo features. We've had 2 for a couple seasons now and have been very pleased with performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0103150933.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	229709  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Lasko

I have supplemental heaters in my vintage. I even used the Lasso inside the Safari during my restoration. It did everything as advertised and the price was cheap.
In a pinch, a few years ago, I bought a small heater at Wall Mart. It had a thermostat, rotated, had a timer, did it all. It was cheap and I planned on it being a throw away. Turns out it is still with me and I use it all the time. The Lasko is seemingly no better. By the way, both heaters were recommended in Consumer Reports for efficiency and safety. I see no reason to go with a many hundred dollar heater.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

We have had several electric heaters over the years. They all are limited to 1500 watts and 5000 btus and seem to work similarly regardless of brand. We paid about triple for one time for a Pelonis ceramic heater and took it back because the plastic smelled when the heat was on and it didn't work any better than the regular heaters.
We like small ones for ease of storage and those with metal housings as they don't smell and are more durable.
We listen to what they have in the store and pick the one with the quietest fan.
Usually they have two settings, one at 750 watts and the other at 1500. The one we have now has one setting at 1200 and the other at 1500. We like the 1200 watt setting as the 750 watt setting puts out very little heat.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This is mine, I have never seen such a small heater put out so much heat,
Amazon.com - Pelonis Classic Ceramic Heater -

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We like the Pelonis also. Had one on my boat for many years and liked it there.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I just got one of the Broan Nutone 6201 heaters. Im still testing it out and comparing it with my Walmart cheapie heater. I like that the Broan is really small, light and blows really hot...has gotten good reviews from other rv'ers.
Amazon.com - Broan-NuTone (6201) Big Heat Heater -
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Dyson's advantage vs. price seems to be the way it effectively and evenly distributes warmth to every "corner" of my 30' AS. Although BTUs are BTUs, everything else seemed to be hot in the area of the heater placement and cold elsewhere. My recommendation is Dyson Hot/Cold.

BTW, it stores nicely in the "unusable" space at the rear of my bedside shirt wardrobe.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
They're heavy and slow, but I like my oil-filled radiator. Why? Because it's silent and does not wake me up as night.

Is the Dyson quiet?
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
There are many good quality space heaters available. Units with fans are the most efficient in moving the heat around. Insure that your heater has UL approval, a tip-over sensor and shutoff, and a case that protects young fingers.

The Dyson heaters are excellent, but there's no compelling need to spend those kind of dollars on a space heater.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use a portable electric heater in our Airstream (see Avatar) in the Southwest all winter, every winter for the last five years. Tried a simple fan/electric coil heater and the heat was not well regulated nor distributed throughout the Airstream. Tried a liquid radiator heater, is was very hot to the touch and the heat was concentrated near the heater.

Tried the Dyson Hot (often sale coupons or great prices on refurbished), it is quiet, the heat is near perfectly regulated throughout the trailer right where you adjust it, and is mixes the air so it is not hot but a large quantity of warm air moving through it and being pushed throughout the trailer.

Good on its own in our Airstream down to near freezing outside, then needs furnace assist. That is also good because the furnace can then circulate warm air into the plumbing under the floor. We use them together in freezing temps, with the Dyson set at a desirable room temperature and the furnace thermostat set quite low while we sleep, maybe 60 F.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #16
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Dyson

Prices range from $200 - $400, bargain being refurbished. I like the evenly distributed heat, but some reviewers claim the unit to be "noisy". Anyone know what the recall was for, purchased a refurbished model, and do you consider them noisy?? I do like the size of the unit and the features.
Thanks
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Dyson. I've had the other types as well. I keep a quite ordinary one in the TT as supplement. I bought my first Pelonis Disc in 1990.

The Dyson was recalled, refurbished and has a new two year warranty (I've had it two years). It is excellent for moving warmth around a large area vis-a-vis TT sizes. Quietly though not silently. Certainly more quiet than the furnace stopping and starting though.

My TT is 35'. Rear bedroom. A long ways from the front lounge. If I want to just heat a local area versus running the furnace (or just reducing its run time) the Dyson has proven ideal for keeping me comfortable at either end of the TT. As to heat provided it is far better than the heat strip in some A/C units where airflow is directed.

Local area in the above use is 15-20'. Not 5-10' as with an ordinary space heater. It will keep my entire bedroom warm and not run constantly on 40F nights. It is best at 50F and up as a single heat source for one half of the TT.

So, for electricity consumed and relative area warmed I find it very good and am happy to recommend it.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
This is a pretty good list of some quality space heaters: 6 Energy-Saving Portable Electric Space Heaters : TreeHugger

I have number 2, the DeLonghi. I particularly like the options for high and low settings, the eco mode, and the minimum 45 setting to keep the trailer thawed when I'm not staying in it.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Cave Creek , Arizona
http://www.costco.com/.product.100137154.html

I love the Dyson, it's about 24" high. I chose it do to the reviews on Airstream forums. I was very happy to find it from Costco, barely any risk to trying it out as you can return it.0
Wiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

The government did a study

All electric heaters are very close in efficiency. The heaters with fans use more, but I don't like the wind or the noise.

The study said $70 heaters do as good of job as the $300 Edenpures. We had two Edenpures and elements didn't last but a few years. Edenpure says that they are safer

I have used my $70 oil filled for over ten years, and liked them, but they do weigh more
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote