Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Buffalo Grove , Illinois
Anyone been to BlueWater Key RV Resort in the Keys? We are looking to find reasonable rates for the winter, Dec. through Jan.

Thanks
Airhaus
airhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i think it will be very difficult to find an opening during those months at this late date. don't delay making your plans!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhaus View Post
Anyone been to BlueWater Key RV Resort in the Keys? We are looking to find reasonable rates for the winter, Dec. through Jan.

Thanks
Airhaus
You surely won't find 'reasonable' rates at BlueWater Key at that time of year!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
I would try the state parks the first year. Florida has some of the best and most economical state parks you can find. This will give you an over view of the state and then you can choose next winter where you would like to stay. My favorites are Myakka and Hillsborough rive state parks.
DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cape Coral , Florida
Destination SW Florida

We have a few things in common . . . Airstreams, boats and Florida. We have canal waterfront homes in both Marathon and in Cape Coral (we can boat from one house to the other). There are far more destiations for sailing in the keys than on the SW coast.

Included (but not limited to) are all of the Bahamas. Key West and literally hundreds of other islands await you in the keys. We sail them extensively and still only have a taste!

There are many RV parks in the keys that front the water, but as mentioned earlier, you need much advance notice and $ to secure what you want. As a sailor, you are probably used to being on the hook, so anchoring anywhere next to the RV park is easy and free.

There are also private homes on the water that will rent a spot for your Airstream. That would be alot cheaper than a park . . especially full time or many months per year.

If you havn't checked the keys . . .

craig
cmreumund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Bowling Green , Kentucky
Craig, How does one locate private homes that will rent a spot for airstreams? That sounds so much better than any RV park to me. Thanks.
Stephen Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cape Coral , Florida
Stephen

Not sure since I've never had to look for one. But maybe try the local rental agencies that rent out vacation homes (realtors). The owners would be subject to local restrictions for parking trailers/campers/RVs, but the realtors may know of the rules and which of their owners need the money and would rent their lots or driveways.

I have neighbors in Marathon that keep their big RV in their drive for 6 months at a time, so I think Marathon may be one place to begin looking. I doubt there are local ordinances in most of Marathon. Bahia Honda has dumping station at the state park, only 10 miles from Marathon.

You can search realtors in Marathon to begin.

Craig
cmreumund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Inver Grove Heights , Minnesota
SW Florida

We are new to this forum.

We have just returned to Minnesota from SW Florida. For the past three years we have spent two weeks (in January) at Oscar Scherer State Park in Osprey, which is immediately south of Sarasota. We love this campground, although we did make our reservations 11 months in advance. We have spent the months of February and March at Camp Venice Retreat in Venice. We are very comfortable there and will return next year for three months. We are taking ownership of our new 2010 International 27FB in about two weeks, so we are very excited! So, if you find yourself there next winter, stop by and say hello!

We have also stayed in parks on the Panhandle, St. Augustine, near Tampa and Homosassa and will share any information you would like.
rt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
rt08,
We live on the east coast of FL and all of our AS camping experiences have been outside the state. Now recovering from back surgery, we are looking for some local (anything in FL) places to visit and the places you derscribe are right up our alley! Our AS is in for some warranty work, should get her back in a week and then I think I can travel for several hours in the car at a time. Scherer State Park...full hook ups? I'll bring it up online, but always enjoy someones elses opinion! Anyplace else that you highly recommend?
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
rt08,
We live on the east coast of FL and all of our AS camping experiences have been outside the state. Now recovering from back surgery, we are looking for some local (anything in FL) places to visit and the places you derscribe are right up our alley! Our AS is in for some warranty work, should get her back in a week and then I think I can travel for several hours in the car at a time. Scherer State Park...full hook ups? I'll bring it up online, but always enjoy someones elses opinion! Anyplace else that you highly recommend?
Andi
Collier-Seminole State Park in Naples on RT 41. Top of the Everglades.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Inver Grove Heights , Minnesota
Oscar Scherer State Park has water and electric but no sewer hookups. I believe that is the case in most Florida State Parks. Myacka River also has a campground, but in our opinion, not as nice as Oscar. All other places we have stayed in that region of Florida have been private campgrounds. Other state parks in Florida we have visited and really liked are St. George Island off the panhandle, Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine and Three Rivers State Park on the Georgia border. Hope you mend quickly from your back surgery. We love your Florida state parks. We take delivery of our Airstream on Thursday!!!!
rt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Group : This is an old thread, but the wife & I just returned from a month in Sarasota Florida & we had a blast !!

When I started this thread we had a Safari 25 & have since upgraded to a Classic 34. I'm glad to report that because we had the couch removed & put two recliners in it's place (thanks again to Andy & the staff at Can Am..) it was as comfortable as a cottage.

We're still 5yrs away from retiring, but we're both quite thankful to be part-time, full-timer's, even if it's only for a month during the year...& the Gulf Coast is an excellent place to be !!

Cheers, P.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
rt08,
Andi
No trip to Gulf Coast of Florida, wouldn't be complete without a trip to Fort DeSoto Park, in southern Pinellas county (right next to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge). Hookups, no idea about sewer, great views, in fact Fort DeSoto has been listed on Top Ten Beaches in the World for several years. No buildings, just natural coastline.
Hope you get a chance to come see it one day, warning though, it does book up quickly over holiday weekends as well as during the winter!
Walk-ups on the day of your trip are allowed though, as they keep a certain number of sites available for walk-ups.
Good luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If you do not need to be right on the coast, Travelers Rest is a a truly nice place and economical. (as LIPets said) about $2900 a year for a yearly leased site with storage building, pad, internet, cable tv, water, grounds upkeep all furnished. you can get sites by the day, week, month, or forever.check the TR website.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Thanks Bill...I'll keep that in mind & perhaps we'll stop by to see it !!

Cheers, P.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Ok, I will be the first post for 2013 on the "old" thread about FL. I've lived down here for 34 years in SW Florida. Where to go all depends on what "to do" stuff you like. If water sports, then the whole state is great with particulars to each activity. As a sailor, I learned that the Gulf coast has quite shallow coastal runs while the east coast is less so; however, the fishing on the southwest coast is excellent. The entire west coast is more natural environmentally with more chance of "creature" encounters- gators, stingrays, horseshoe crabs, etc,. The east coast offers more urban activity- at least in the south. The center of the state is less expensive with many interesting pockets of adventure. A few years back I counseled a 4H camp that was set in a beautiful wooded area with a swimming lake, and lots of fun for kids. There are some great lake/wooded in central FL. The gulf beaches and bright white sand are best, in my opinion, in the winter/cooler months as the Gulf is warmer. In the summer, the water is pretty warm and less refreshing whereas the Atlantic side always has cooler water. Population density is another factor. Some like crowds and lots of people-that is more descriptive of the east coast. The west coast is much more sparse with the exception of the urban Tampa, St. Pete area and beaches.

Sanibel and Captiva Island are listed as the best shelling in our hemisphere. Naples and Bonita Beach are nice areas too. Camping there is not on the beach but beach camping is available in Fort Myers, just up the road. I remember Orlando as a smaller city in 1972 when we visited. Now I personally avoid it or urban sprawl whenever possible.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote