Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1974 20' Argosy 20
Loomis , California
Forget filling up your propane tanks...fill that gas tank and head to where you can use your air conditioner instead! It is a record year for the whales in Ojo de Libre!
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Y'all must have know this was coming...you set yourselve's up......It was so cold in San Diego today, I had to wear shoes and sox.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Ayup well low of -24 here last night and it maybe got up to -15 today.

Airstream parked inside although I know from experience that, after an hour with the furnace on, it would be a balmy 70 degrees in there. I will have the furnace going later this week when I am out at my storage location completing some truck repairs. Gives me someplace warm to retreat into

Two fully charged group 27 batteries in good condition will easily run the furnace overnight. A fact to consider is that the stock converter is not temperature compensated and will not fully charge the batteries at low temperatures. A higher charge voltage is required

The furnace does a great job. If your batteries aren't up to running it well maybe some more batteries are a better choice than a portable furnace. On grounds of safety and comfort

Stay warm
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #24
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Thank you all for sharing the weather with us in NJ. I just hope my winterizing holds and my pipes dont turn into sprinklers. Our snow totAls not too high, it is just extreme weather, couple of ice storms.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Heat tapes suggested for BOTH the water AND sewer (if hooked up) lines.
Otherwise, it sounds like you are well prepared. We usually dry camp after the first hard freezes in November...but are back out in February.

If you have shore power ... suggest several electric space heaters. Water bottles, heated mattress pad, or electric blanket are nice as well if you have power. Watch out for the condensation all over the interior, but especially the window frames. We just recently saw some heavy duty interior window coverings that worked like the clingy "Saran-wrap" of yesteryear.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st. ann , Missouri
Freezing Water lines

Greetings fellow winter full-timers.

Been really cold here in the Missouri Ozarks.
Weather reports predict that the worst is over. Should be in the mid 40s low 50s by weeks end.

I thought I had my frozen external water issues licked. This morning I awoke with no running water. My external water lines are heavily insulated, heat wires
on frost free rv pump and water line to my Airstream. My Excella is skirted with 1/2 inch insulation boards, I also placed a light underneath my rig for extra warmth. I also have two bales of straw covering my external water lines and around the base of the frost free pump.

I think my water line is freezing where the line connects to the Airtream.
Knowing this could be the weak point in my line I added extra insulation around this area.

I will be full-timing the entire winter. Any thoughts on how to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Stay warm out there!!

Mark
Softshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Here is another cheerful thought resulting from the cold weather....

There are probably over a 100 customer Airstreams covered in snow outside at the factory awaiting service. If any of the batteries were low on charge, they will probably have frozen last night and will be cracked with the acid chewing on the battery box until it's turn in the shop comes.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:09 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I know this doesn't sound like anything at all to you guys up North, but I just checked the temp here and it's 20 degrees, and will probably go lower before the sun comes up.

I've lived here all my live and have only seen it a few degrees colder, and that's usually in early February. Too darn cold for this Southern boy!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
26 at my house here in Gainesville. We were lucky, it did not get as cold as expected. Please be careful wherever you are. Hope things get better for those up north. I ere Top Of Georgia is at or about zero degrees. Can't imagine below zero temps. Be well. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Looks like 18 is the low here this morning. Awful cold for South Texas! I don't like it.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #31
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
26 at my house here in Gainesville. We were lucky, it did not get as cold as expected. Please be careful wherever you are. Hope things get better for those up north. I ere Top Of Georgia is at or about zero degrees. Can't imagine below zero temps. Be well. Jim
Zero sounds about right for last night. We were at 10 degrees here in Possum Holler when I got up to go to work this mornin' about a hundred miles south as the crow flies. It were jes' plain cold, as Granddaddy used to say. And this is Georgia, not one of those Northern Provinces.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I walked ten minutes to work this morning, in -25ºC (-13ºF). When I arrived, I couldn't feel my fingertips, despite wearing insulated gloves.

I went home at lunchtime and picked up my Snowgoose, the heavy arctic model I used to wear up in Nunavut - it's supposed to keep you alive down to -40º. I hadn't worn that jacket in years, but today I was glad I had kept it.

Iqaluit Airport. Also -40º that day.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Copied from First Alert's website:

"Carbon monoxide is not heavier than air. The diffusion of carbon monoxide in air is relatively even, meaning that a source of carbon monoxide can distribute the gas evenly throughout the room and house. When installing a carbon monoxide alarm, choose a location where the alarm will stay clean, and out of the way of children or pets. See User's Manual for specific installation requirements."

Propane is heavier than air and will pool near the floor.
You're sure? CO generally comes into your vehicle from some leak in the undercarriage. The boys that are sleeping on the floor of your car will get it first, then the girls that are in the back seat. You'll be last because you are higher and driving. Go ahead and quote the "experts", or look up the news.
Today there were two teens found in a car in Fernely, NV. not found in time. You won't feel CO poisoning, just maybe you can't think through something, it goes in circles, Maybe you'll notice faces flushing, maybe sweating for no reason, maybe hard to breath,
Your turn. yes, that is a flame. "but it diffuses equally in air"

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Carbon monoxide has a RMM (relative molecular mass) of 28, which is slightly lighter than air - it weighs about 97% of air (on average).

As a result, carbon monoxide will not pool on the ground, but will be distributed more or less evenly, depending on airflow and air movement.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just an FYI. For the last several decades, FMVSS requires that 15% of auto interior air be exchanged per minute. Even if you have the climate control off, the blower is running very slowly (can't even hear it). It is much more difficult to get CO inside the modern cars. It can happen, but an unlikely set of circumstances must occur.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark910234 View Post
Greetings fellow winter full-timers.

Been really cold here in the Missouri Ozarks.

Weather reports predict that the worst is over. Should be in the mid 40s low 50s by weeks end.

I thought I had my frozen external water issues licked. This morning I awoke with no running water. My external water lines are heavily insulated, heat wires

on frost free rv pump and water line to my Airstream. My Excella is skirted with 1/2 inch insulation boards, I also placed a light underneath my rig for extra warmth. I also have two bales of straw covering my external water lines and around the base of the frost free pump.

I think my water line is freezing where the line connects to the Airtream.

Knowing this could be the weak point in my line I added extra insulation around this area.

I will be full-timing the entire winter. Any thoughts on how to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Stay warm out there!!

Mark

Mark, if you are hooked up to services, a short term fix to minor freezing is to leave a cold water tap running just fast enough to prevent the inlet or discharge from freezing. Works in a pinch. Jim
Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Carbon monoxide has a RMM (relative molecular mass) of 28, which is slightly lighter than air - it weighs about 97% of air (on average).

As a result, carbon monoxide will not pool on the ground, but will be distributed more or less evenly, depending on airflow and air movement.
What happens when you have poor incomplete combustion of gasoline in a cold gas engine, so the CO might be attached to a bunch of heavy C8 octane, Wouldn't that be heavier than air? I can understand burning clean C4 propane just gives a clean light weight CO and HOH, but seems that a dirty burn with gasoline could come out heavy. The instance I was referencing was a lady put her kids in the car in Wichita, drove to Salina and found the boys on the floor didn't make it, but the girls in the seat didn't die. That was late 1987 or '88, maybe '82 I think, cant' find it by google. Clean lab chemistry doesn't usually represent real (or dead) situations.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote