Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2022, 03:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Anyone have a way they monitor their temperature while away?

Hi!

We are camped and set up full time at an RV resort with full hookups. We can catch a little bit of the WiFi from the park. Does anyone have a way they monitor the inside temps?

Our furnace is set to 40f with two backup electric heaters.

I know I could get fancy and change the thermostat to a smart device, but anyone have any simpler ideas just to monitor the temp?

Maybe I should upgrade the therm because I could then control the temp while away?
Old 12-06-2022, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
Hi!

We are camped and set up full time at an RV resort with full hookups. We can catch a little bit of the WiFi from the park. Does anyone have a way they monitor the inside temps?

I know I could get fancy and change the thermostat to a smart device, but anyone have any simpler ideas just to monitor the temp?

Maybe I should upgrade the therm because I could then control the temp while away?
This is for pet monitoring when we are away, but I use a cheap webcam and a cheap indoor / outdoor thermometer. I have a Visible phone (Verizon's low end service) to use as a hotspot to support it and my other hotspot needs.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Search up some of the bluetooth temperature monitors. Seem pretty inexpensive and will hook up with wifi, Amazon shows lots of choices.

Steve
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Here is a thread talking about it.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...gs-239682.html
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Hi!

I will be installing ruuvi temp sensors in fridge+freezer along with additional sensors (one each for lounge area, bedroom, and outside). These will interface with my victron cerbo gx via a Bluetooth dongle on the cerbo to enable remote monitoring.

As for remote control of the trailer hvac system, I swapped out the dometic thermostat for a micro-air easytouch thermostat. The thermostat connects to my pepwave trailer wifi access point to enable remote control via my pepwave br1 pro 5g router. The thermostat app on my cell phone can connect to the pepwave router via starlink or 5G cellular.

There are multiple choices for temperature monitoring. For control, the micro-air easytouch upgrade is needed.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The micro air thermostat does a better job of holding a comfortable temperature than the oem model. It also connects to a local WiFi network. Get something like the Slate GL-AR750S-EXT router and use it to connect to the thermostat and the local RV park wifi. With that you can monitor via your phone and control the trailers inside temperature.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I also use Ruuvi sensors with the Cerbo GX connected to the Victron portal.

The unstated problem is the availability of wifi.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #8
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I've been using Waggle. It does several things actually in addition to what you are looking to do.

1. It monitors the temperature via cell service, so you don't even have to worry about WiFi.

2. If you plug it in the outlet, and if you lose power, the unit will inform you that it is on battery power, which then tells you that power has been lost. This feature has saved me! Luckily we were just around the corner. The pedestal was old and it tripped.

3. It is also a gps/cellular tracker, a great added feature as security for your rig.

I have a promo code to save some $$$ http://waggle.refr.cc/chitopono

Another thing you can use is MicroAir, however, this requires WiFi.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Lake Jackson , Texas
Temp monitoring

I left my Airsteam in Stonewall, Texas a couple of months and live about 230 miles away. I had good wifi at Peach Country RV Park so I did the following. I pointed by Alexa Echo Show at my Weather Radio that monitors inside and outside Temp as well as humidity. Pretty simple solution. Plus I could play music for the neighbors if I had wanted to do so.

Taroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:42 PM   #10
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
I use the Micro Air Thermostat to monitor temps and adjust the furnace or heat pump. I use smart plugs and the Kasa App to turn on electric heaters as needed. I use Govee temperature sensors to monitor temps in several key places inside the trailer.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:45 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
Pasadena , California
I use a travel router (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBXMBQF) and all of the smart devices connect to this including a temperature monitor.

The advantage is that the network name stays static and it accepts multiple inputs for the outside network - wifi, hotspot or even a cellphone tether. This makes it super easy in the event the wifi is bad and you don't have to connect each device to a new network all the time (it is also great for hotels and wifi systems that are gated with a sign-in page)
fraslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Blink cameras

Quote:
Hi!

I use Amazon Blink cameras. The outdoor version includes temp sensors and the app includes alarm settings for high and low temp alerts.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:41 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Just me?

I would NEVER leave stand alone electric heaters unattended.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Poulsbo , Washington
For remote monitoring of temperature, we are using a GOVEE device.
This connects to our wifi, and allows us to check the temp when we've left the pets behind.

No monthly fees!

https://us.govee.com/products/wi-fi-...iABEgJ8YPD_BwE
DougFelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:30 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
DFW Airport , Texas
This is what I have been using for the last 4 years:
https://www.isocket.us/best/

Does not depend on someone's Wifi link
Does multiple functions including allowing power control as well as temperature, alarms and power outages
Reliable
WiFi is still a hobby business. Servers have to be reset, software updated and networks configured.
Vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Just me?

I would NEVER leave stand alone electric heaters unattended.

Bob
🇺🇸
Not just you...but to each their own.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Not just you...but to each their own.
They are ceramic with tip over protection, overheat shutoff, and they are on a thermostat setting that is purely back up to the furnace. I lose more sleep over freezing up.

The iSocket looks super intriguing. Their website is awful, if I hadn’t had a direct user recommendation, I would assume the were a scam. “We give you happy feelings” not sure if that is funny or creepy and just show me the product.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:20 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Another Micro-Air Thermostat user here. Its probably too expensive for what it is but it does work very well. You get the added bonus of being able to run the furnace and the AC fan at the same time which you can't do with the Dometic T-stat. We run the fan at night for the white noise and the moving air.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:30 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
They are ceramic with tip over protection, overheat shutoff, and they are on a thermostat setting that is purely back up to the furnace. I lose more sleep over freezing up.

The iSocket looks super intriguing. Their website is awful, if I hadn’t had a direct user recommendation, I would assume the were a scam. “We give you happy feelings” not sure if that is funny or creepy and just show me the product.
The little red U is where our boat was 4yrs ago. The building caught fire because of pooping 'lektricity"
Several AS's plus at least 100 other units were lost.

TETO it is.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66370645-5B1B-411A-90FC-84944DB07B49_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	426022  
Old 12-08-2022, 07:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB