Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #61
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
A Full-Time Mountain Winter in The Aluminum Tent 3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I keep a pair of fleece-lined wool socks in my Interstate, and if it were me I’d be pulling them out and having them ready.
Maggie
Maggie I stocked up with several thick pairs of Merino wools socks!!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #62
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
My trick for the shower drain has been to pour some rv antifreeze down it after showering in the morning.
Good luck!
I was going to do that instead but decided to do...Both! At least until
I skirt and insulate underneath.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Following!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #64
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
A small QUIET dehumidifier is a must. I have one of these units and it works extremely well to keep the moisture off the interior skin and windows:

https://www.eva-dry.com/product/edv-...-dehumidifier/

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #65
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah

OK, temps dropped to 8 degrees Sunday night according to my electronic thermometer.

A few observations:

--The front pano windows didn't collect interior condensation that froze. I was very surprised, as the curved ones I know are hardly sealed at all by the rock guards, as they collect leaves and debris. The center flat rock guard does seal pretty tightly. Maybe the dinette curtains do a pretty good job of insulating the windows?

--On the windows that I placed Reflectix tightly against the glass on the inside, it helped keep heat in the trailer, and also there was barely any frozen condensate on the glass underneath in the morning. Just a couple tiny spots on a couple of them.

--Windows with screens, I covered the screens and frames with Reflectix held in place with Velcro. It definitely felt warmer next to them, but it was absolutely useless in creating an air barrier to prevent condensation and ice build up on the windows. Every single one was completely covered with interior frost in the a.m. when I took the reflectix down. In this first pic, the top window had reflectix over the screens and frames. The lower porthole window had reflectix installed tightly against the glass. You can see the difference. The other pics were windows also with Reflectix over the screens. Useless in terms of controlling condensation.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9723.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	631.9 KB
ID:	382056

Name:	IMG_9724.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	486.4 KB
ID:	382054

Name:	IMG_9726.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	382055

When I get my dehumidier, that should hopefully minimize that problem, as there will be less moisture in the air to condense and freeze on the glass. However, I am going to rethink my plan of attack for the windows that have screens to better get an air gap in them. Stand by for that.

Other observations: I like to sleep cool/cold, and when it was in the 20s outside last week, I kept the furnace set to 45 at night with no supplemental heat source. Nothing froze up. With single digits this weekend, I was worried about the belly with having the furnace set that low, so I left it at 57 degrees, with no other heat source. I slept well, but didn't need my second comforter.

In the a.m. nothing was frozen up, and I measured the temperature of the cold water coming from both sink faucets after letting the run a moment. It was 39 degrees. So that tells me the plumbing and tanks stayed at around 39 degrees with heat set to 57 and outside temp of 8 degrees. I can confirm when I get my remote thermometer that has three separate wireless sensors this week that I'll place one in the belly and a couple others back in the recesses where plumbing is located so I can accurately monitor what's actually going on down there.

Overall, a cozy night watching Netflix, grilling a delicious slab of beef (outside) and a comfortable sleep. (Though I want to experiment some more; I'd rather keep heat set to 50 degrees max at night for sleeping.) And once I install a skirt, things should improve further.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:18 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
That sounds pretty darn livable to me, so far. Great reporting. Thanks!

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina

I live full time in my rig in temps that get below freezing, but nowhere near what you are/will experience.

I found this dehumidifier (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8SCPZ4) after several iterations with other types and brands. Top reasons this one is my fav: it is almost silent, and it blows warm air as part of its normal operation (which helps heat the rig).

If you can, try to get a spot where you can take full advantage of the sun. Ideally you will have no shade at all on your rig. And if you can keep your plumbing side (water/sewer hookups) in the sun, it will help them thaw faster in the event they happen to freeze overnight.

You mentioned an external water softener. I have an external water filter that I use year round. I got a large heavy duty storage tote (similar to this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-5...Lid/1000976084). I drilled 2 holes in the lid for my water hose to go in and come back out. Now I can keep my filter and hose (hooked up and coiled around filter) inside the box with the extra length of heat tape without worrying about it freezing. I added pipe insulation on all the exposed hose as well as some foam board inside the box. These pictures aren’t great and don’t show everything I mentioned above, but will hopefully give you and idea of what I tried to describe.

Good luck, I’m looking forward to reading about your adventure and learning more tips on winter living!

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	603.5 KB
ID:	382119Attachment 1 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8165.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	382120
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:37 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Monterey , California
Saraed - what kind of water filter is that that you use? I’ve never seen one like it. Looks like you also have a pressure gauge on your filter setup with a pressure reduction device. Would you please explain your filter setup thoroughly. Thanks.
RosenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosenBob View Post
Saraed - what kind of water filter is that that you use? I’ve never seen one like it. Looks like you also have a pressure gauge on your filter setup with a pressure reduction device. Would you please explain your filter setup thoroughly. Thanks.

I have a 3 canister Clearsource (https://www.clearsourcerv.com/) water filter. The pressure regulator is probably not necessary, but I already had it, so I used it.

The setup is as follows:
One hose from water hydrant to pressure regulator attached to input of water filter. The three filters go in a certain order (filters from largest to smallest particles). Then I have a second hose that connects the output of the filter to the Airstream city water inlet.

I drilled 2 large holes in the lid of the heavy duty storage tote (https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-146.../dp/B00V87CQYM) for the input hose and for the output hose. I also drilled a few smaller holes on the bottom and sides to allow water to leak out (rain water will get in through hose holes on lid) as well as to thread a cable lock through the filter housing (it’s steel) to deter thieves. In the winter, I line the inside of the box with foam board (or styrofoam) and keep the excess heat tape coiled inside the box to prevent the whole thing from freezing. I also put pipe insulation around the exposed hose (not pictured). I tried to label the pictures below with as much of this information as possible.

The box works well year round because it’s easy to disconnect and put the entire assembly in the back of my truck when it’s time to move. The wheels and handle make the entire thing almost effortless to move on the ground. It can be pretty heavy when it’s time to lift it (especially with water in the filter) but I’ve always been able to manage it by myself.

Views:	63
Size:	627.2 KB
ID:	382169Attachment 1

Views:	81
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	382170
Old 10-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #70
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraed View Post
I live full time in my rig in temps that get below freezing, but nowhere near what you are/will experience.
You just made my day! I had ordered and received yesterday a Frigidaire compressor style dehumidifier that I thought would be the absolute best, as compressor styles do the best job, and this one said it was rated to work down to 41 degrees...important because I sleep with the temp at 50 degrees max. However I did further research an learned that while it would "work", it would be at an extremely lower efficiency, and spend most of the time defrosting the coil, rather than dehumidifying. So I didn't even open it and it's going back. I instead decided on a dessicant type, I didn't want to spend the $300 on the Ecoseb that so many talk about but doesn't have inspiring reviews. I instead order the exact Ivation unit that you have! So I'm relieved to get a good review from someone who has the same model, and has been through several other types. Sounds like I made the right decision!

I will be in a spot with full sun, and we get plenty of that here in Utah, all winter long! My trailer gets super toasty from solar gain during the day, especially with the reflectix removed from the windows for the day.

For the water softener...mine is narrow and tall and needs to stay upright, it's about the size of a large fire extinguisher. But some kind of box like you did is a great idea, I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 11-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
You just made my day! I had ordered and received yesterday a Frigidaire compressor style dehumidifier that I thought would be the absolute best, as compressor styles do the best job, and this one said it was rated to work down to 41 degrees...important because I sleep with the temp at 50 degrees max. However I did further research an learned that while it would "work", it would be at an extremely lower efficiency, and spend most of the time defrosting the coil, rather than dehumidifying. So I didn't even open it and it's going back. I instead decided on a dessicant type, I didn't want to spend the $300 on the Ecoseb that so many talk about but doesn't have inspiring reviews. I instead order the exact Ivation unit that you have! So I'm relieved to get a good review from someone who has the same model, and has been through several other types. Sounds like I made the right decision!

I will be in a spot with full sun, and we get plenty of that here in Utah, all winter long! My trailer gets super toasty from solar gain during the day, especially with the reflectix removed from the windows for the day.

For the water softener...mine is narrow and tall and needs to stay upright, it's about the size of a large fire extinguisher. But some kind of box like you did is a great idea, I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Nice!! I hope you like the dehumidifier as much as I have. Like I’m sure you saw in some of the reviews, if you use the hose (instead of the tank) it can be difficult to get it just right so that it drains in the hose. But, I’ve only ever used the hose when I’ve had to put my trailer in storage, so it’s rarely something I have to deal with.

I’m sure you’ll be fine with all the preparation you’ve done, but if you need ideas to help insulate/protect the water softener, feel free to send me a message!
Old 11-05-2020, 09:37 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I use window film to create an air pocket/barrier for the single pane glass.

The max strength (extra thick) is strong enough to stretch across the inside of the corner pano windows.

For the screened windows I found it easier to apply the film from the outside through the open window.
posty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Guelph , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by posty View Post
I use window film to create an air pocket/barrier for the single pane glass.

The max strength (extra thick) is strong enough to stretch across the inside of the corner pano windows.

For the screened windows I found it easier to apply the film from the outside through the open window.
Very interesting, looks like a good product. So I assume you applied it along the edge of the window frame leaving a gap between the glass and film? And have you actually used it during winter (what temp?), and did it reduce any condensation or does it just reduce cold drafts? Thanks!
rich.dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.dev View Post
Very interesting, looks like a good product. So I assume you applied it along the edge of the window frame leaving a gap between the glass and film? And have you actually used it during winter (what temp?), and did it reduce any condensation or does it just reduce cold drafts? Thanks!

Yes you’re correct on the application.

I used it all last winter. The coldest temp I experienced was -17F, with sustained temps under -10F for several days. Some of my plumbing froze but I never had condensation on the glass.
posty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:48 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Guelph , Ontario
Quote:
Yes you’re correct on the application.

I used it all last winter. The coldest temp I experienced was -17F, with sustained temps under -10F for several days. Some of my plumbing froze but I never had condensation on the glass.
Itchy Caramba, some very cold temperatures you camped in there, I definitely have to get myself some of that stuff! Thanks!
rich.dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:33 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
pcskier: I was just reading another post (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2430513) about a product called "Airskirts" https://www.airskirts.com/. I thought of your situation.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . .
How's it going since your 10/29 post above?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
a city in west GA , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraed View Post

I found this dehumidifier (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8SCPZ4) after several iterations with other types and brands. Top reasons this one is my fav: it is almost silent, and it blows warm air as part of its normal operation (which helps heat the rig).

If you can, try to get a spot where you can take full advantage of the sun. Ideally you will have no shade at all on your rig. And if you can keep your plumbing side (water/sewer hookups) in the sun, it will help them thaw faster in the event they happen to freeze overnight.

You mentioned an external water softener. I have an external water filter that I use year round. I got a large heavy duty storage tote (similar to this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-5...Lid/1000976084). I drilled 2 holes in the lid for my water hose to go in and come back out. Now I can keep my filter and hose (hooked up and coiled around filter) inside the box with the extra length of heat tape without worrying about it freezing. I added pipe insulation on all the exposed hose as well as some foam board inside the box. These pictures aren’t great and don’t show everything I mentioned above, but will hopefully give you and idea of what I tried to describe.

Good luck, I’m looking forward to reading about your adventure and learning more tips on winter living!

Attachment 382119Attachment 1 Attachment 382120
I got that dehumidifier, I really like it, although it quit on me after 1 month, company sent me a new one and told me to dispose of the old one, no need to send it back. 2nd one still running.......
Joyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:13 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . .
With Park City's projected low temps of about 10 degrees Fahrenheit for December [see line graphs at the bottom]:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pa...1178?year=2020

. . . curious to know how you are managing in the aluminum tent?

Thanks,
Old 11-30-2020, 03:29 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . all last winter. The coldest temp I experienced was -17F, with sustained temps under -10F for several days. Some of my plumbing froze . . .
. . .
Could you please detail what damage if any occurred from the freeze-ups, in your 20' with ducted heat? Our similar FC20 has the old non-ducted heat.

Thanks,