Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Ingram , Texas
We spent 3 winters in Alaska in a 69 31’ international. Several of the things I did Have been mentioned. We didn’t have an issues with frozen water hoses, I hauled water from town in 5 gallon jugs. Pouring water in below zero temps is a challenge, you gotta pour it fast and furious and still keep your feet dry. At times we kept the jugs inside and poured water as we needed it, it was just too cold to use the fill spout outside.

I had a grumpy old sourdough as a neighbor and he told me how to keep things from freezing up. At his suggestion, I lowered the trailer as close to the ground as I could by removing the wheels. Before I lowered it I ran a string of 100 watt bulbs under the trailer from stem to stern. Next I skirted it with 2’x8’x2” styrofoam sheets. I carved each sheet to fit the contour of the trailer. I secured the foam with duct tape, ugly but it worked. When the snow fell I shoveled it up against the foam, It looked like we lived in a snow bank or maybe an igloo. I also put 100 bulbs in the utility compartment at rear of the trailer, that made for an eerie night light, none of the water lines or The dump valve ever froze up.

Leave the cabinet doors open Particularly in the bath and under the kitchen sink that will help circulate the air and keep the water lines warmer. As several have already said leave the bath exhaust fan running as much as possible That’s hard to do when it’s really cold outside but do your best. I can say we never froze up even in minus -30 degree weather, thanks mostly to my ornery neighbor Old Tom.

Your biggest problem other than freezing up maybe condensation. Keep an eye on the areas under the windows that’s where the condensate will go. And check on the interior walls of the cabinets and closets. We had clothes freeze to the wall in our closets.

Hopefully you won’t see temps that low but it’s easier to get ready for cold weather than to try and find a broken water line under the floor or in the wall of an AS.
ChicknKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #42

2017 27' International
PEMBERTON , British Columbia
We wintered in our Airstream for 3 months 2 years ago on Vancouver Island. It was probably warmer there but we ended using just a small electric heater after warming up unit with furnace. Unless your hooked up to a pipeline running your furnace 24/7 will require your tanks filled every couple of days.
Our biggest problem was moisture. In morning everything was quite damp with windows having to be wiped down every morning. We ended up buying a good size dehumidifier to keep moisture under control.
Great experience though and will definitely do it again.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:06 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
A Full-Time Mountain Winter in The Aluminum Tent 3!

Years ago I would take my Airstream to WV to a CG about 15 miles from Snowshoe Ski Resort. I would park it there from November through March. I had power and access to a bathroom so I didn’t use any of the plumbing in the Airstream. The furnace wouldn’t heat the Airstream adequately and took forever to heat up. I used an electric blanket to keep warm. I don’t know how I would have made it without the electric blanket.

I had a mid week ski pass and would go up there about every other week and ski 2-3 days. That was some great uncrowded skiing for very little money.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #44

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Surrey , British Columbia
Definitely want to know how it works out for you.
Luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #45
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
A Full-Time Mountain Winter in The Aluminum Tent 3!

Well, the first test is coming this weekend with single-digit lows at night, and this is BEFORE I've done any winterizing or insulating. This is because I am switching spots in the RV Resort on November 15, following a 3-day trip to Deadhorse Point State Park on November 12. I don't want to go through the chore of insulating, skirting, using heat tape on the water hydrant and under tanks, etc, only to have to remove it all to hit the road for three nights, and before settling in to my permanent winter site. I thought about canceling that trip to get started on all this, but even then I can't move in to my new spot till the 15th anyway.

So...this weekend, I will experience what will be night-time temps (6 degrees F) that I will experience quite often this winter, but without any winterization steps.

Looking at the weather, it will be dipping in to the 20s at night for the next week and a half, so my plan for this weekend, and until I am able to get in my new spot and winterize everything:

1. Top up fresh tank daily and use that for water each night. Unhook city water to avoid damaging park hydrant, and drain water hose.
2. Use reflectix in windows and ceiling vents/skylight. I have them already for most of the windows that I made this past summer for use on hot sunny days to help keep the trailer cool.
3. I have hypervent on order, that I'll be putting under the mattress to avoid condensation, which is common due to the cold under there from the outside storage compartment. Part of my 'main' winterizing will be to insulate that compartment to help keep it a bit warmer.
4. Make sure propane tanks are full!

This actually will be interesting to experience to see how the Airstream performs in cold weather just using propane as the primary defense, and help discover the major weak links in the chain as OTR mentioned, even BEFORE I've done winterizing, to help identify anything I've overlooked on my master plan that I'll do starting Nov. 15. We often have mild temps return, so getting all that done shouldn't be too unpleasant.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9660.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	381488
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If your lows are going to be single digits, I would expect daytime highs to be quite cold.

Rather than topping off your fresh water each day, perhaps lay in a stock of gallon jugs of drinking water for consumption in whatever form, and go into serious water conservation mode otherwise for awhile.

Maggie
Old 10-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Rather than topping off your fresh water each day, perhaps lay in a stock of gallon jugs of drinking water for consumption in whatever form, and go into serious water conservation mode otherwise for awhile.

Maggie

I believe it is better to keep the fresh water tank full. The more water in the tank, the less affect on it due to cold weather.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay.

I was thinking conservation measures and using jug water would lessen the depletion, thus decreasing the frequency of fillups, not of letting a tank become empty or near empty in single digit temps.

Maggie
Old 10-22-2020, 07:21 PM   #49
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
If your lows are going to be single digits, I would expect daytime highs to be quite cold.
The lowest daytime high will be 42, and then into the 50s and 60s as the week goes on with nightime lows in the low to mid 20s. Should get through this cold snap OK and then in November get the skirting and insulation done before much colder temps arrive long-term.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:04 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Even more important...
Park City Mountain opens in less than a month!!!!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:21 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
The lowest daytime high will be 42, and then into the 50s and 60s as the week goes on with nightime lows in the low to mid 20s. Should get through this cold snap OK and then in November get the skirting and insulation done before much colder temps arrive long-term.
That’s not too bad.

I was thinking wrestling hoses in freezing or sub freezing temps.

I would still use some jug water and be conservative with what’s in my tanks, but that’s me.

Maggie
Old 10-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #52
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Down to 23 degrees last night (according to my electronic thermometer).

No issues with little winterizing done. I did install the Reflectix in the two Fantastic vents and the skylight; in the two oval porthole windows, the two bath oval windows, the rear window over my head in my corner bed, one of the large lounge windows, and one of the curved dinette pano windows. So about half the windows had Reflectix. Other than that I topped up the fresh tank, drained the hose, and removed it from the park connection. Oh, I also use an outdoor water softener between the hydrant and city connection that I unhooked and brought inside for the night. Overnight, I had no interior condensation or any freeze issues. (I do have a dehumidifier ordered.)

I like sleeping in a cool (most would say cold) environment, which likely makes me a little more better adapted for this than others. (One of my neighbors keeps the furnace set to 82 degrees...24/7. I wouldn't be able to sleep at that temp! Plus he has a 38 foot rig, so I can't imagine the propane he goes through.

In my house, I used to turn the heat down to 50 degrees (it wouldn't always get that low but if it did I was fine) and turn it up in the a.m. I just bundle up. In the Airstream, I set the heat to 45 degrees, no other heat source. At bedtime, the temp inside was about 65. I heard the heat kick on very early this morning a few times. When I got up, it was 46 degrees inside. I bumped the heat and as you all know, it got nice and toasty very quickly. I also turned on my little cube heater that I have near the dinette where I'm working, and all is well and the furnace is no longer cycling. The outside temp is up to 45, the temp here at the dinette is a balmy 76! Way warm for me. The temp back by the vanity is 65.

Saturday night will be down to 5 degrees. I might bump the thermostat to 50 to keep the belly and interior plumbing a bit safer. I have on order an electronic thermometer with three remote senders and a readout that shows all three, that will help with my temperature management. I can put one down in the belly, and a couple in different places near interior plumbing, such as the water pump area and deep under the kitchen sink. That way I can track what temperatures these areas maintain as a function of exterior temperature and my furnace setting, and adjust as needed to prevent any plumbing freeze-ups.

I was trying to decide about skirting vs just insulating the undercarriage. I have definitely decided to do a vinyl skirt when I move to my new spot on Nov. 15, and will likely also insulate the exterior of the belly with batt insulation. I also will get the park hydrant and my water hose heated and insulated, including the water softer that I'll also wrap and insulate. The water is really hard here so I am hoping to be able to keep the softener hooked up. Until I move into the new permanent winter spot, I'll just be keeping the fresh tank filled and use that. (I woke up to a neighbor who had a healthy leak from his hose at the city connection this morning, no heated hose and he obviously didn't heed the request from management to disconnect water last night if not using a heated hose and protection the hydrant. He just came home with a new hose. They are just visiting so I think that's why they haven't gotten a heated hose and winterized their hydrant, but hopefully they'll be smart enough to unhook their water tonight.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
We had an early snow yesterday (@ 5-6 inches) and it's going to get down to 16 degrees tonight (it's 27 degrees right now). The "roof" makes a ton of difference.

The deer and turkeys are here for breakfast, as usual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC1393_DxO.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	381655   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1394_DxO.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	591.5 KB
ID:	381656  

andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #54
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post
We had an early snow yesterday (@ 5-6 inches) and it's going to get down to 16 degrees tonight (it's 27 degrees right now). The "roof" makes a ton of difference.
Awesome pics and location Andy! I'm jealous being in an RV Resort as opposed to a spot like yours!
Old 10-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post

Great pics! Love that spot!
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #56
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
24 hours till the big dip, 4 degrees is now forecast for Sunday night. I tried to think of anything I should definitely do before then, prior to the major prep in November after one last quick trip. I found two things that could definitely have caused issues.

I remembered poking around behind the steel plate on the belly under the shower in the past and recalled — that is a major weak link. The entire Airstream wood floor has a layer of Reflectix under it. That’s it. But—under the shower there is a square hole in the floor, with the shower floor exposed, and the drain trap hanging down in open air completely exposed to the belly. I can't imagine the furnace heat keeping that from freezing in a severe cold snap, with just the cover plate between it and the outside; especially since there is a frame cross member forward of this area, that really prevents much belly heat from migrating back here, the duct mainly heats the area where the fresh and grey tanks are. Also, a hot and cold water line is back up in there, above the floor, but still exposed to that big opening in the floor. Major problem for freezing. The bit of insulation you can see in the pic was put there by me before I took the photo.

Name:	IMG_9681.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	381701
I bought a small roll of R13 household insulation, and stuffed as much as I could in the void between the base of the shower and the floor, then another layer to cover it all up before replacing the cover plate. There still should be some room for belly heat to migrate in to that area when the furnace is on.

Name:	IMG_9683.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	451.7 KB
ID:	381702
Then I thought about the exterior shower. With the valves behind the back of the plastic enclosure, there is only that and the lid protecting them from the cold—essentially nothing. So I removed the hose and faucet knobs for the winter, and cut a piece of the R13 to fill the box. Hopefully that will eliminate waking up to a broken valve in the wall on a cold winter night.

Name:	IMG_9685.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	381703

Name:	IMG_9687.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	381704
Old 10-24-2020, 10:40 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Glad you are having fun.....I must be old, I would not be enjoying your experience as you are. Best of luck!!!!
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:14 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Both are Great Ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
24 hours till the big dip, 4 degrees is now forecast for Sunday night. I tried to think of anything I should definitely do before then, prior to the major prep in November after one last quick trip. I found two things that could definitely have caused issues.

I remembered poking around behind the steel plate on the belly under the shower in the past and recalled — that is a major weak link. The entire Airstream wood floor has a layer of Reflectix under it. That’s it. But—under the shower there is a square hole in the floor, with the shower floor exposed, and the drain trap hanging down in open air completely exposed to the belly. I can't imagine the furnace heat keeping that from freezing in a severe cold snap, with just the cover plate between it and the outside; especially since there is a frame cross member forward of this area, that really prevents much belly heat from migrating back here, the duct mainly heats the area where the fresh and grey tanks are. Also, a hot and cold water line is back up in there, above the floor, but still exposed to that big opening in the floor. Major problem for freezing. The bit of insulation you can see in the pic was put there by me before I took the photo.
Attachment 381701
I bought a small roll of R13 household insulation, and stuffed as much as I could in the void between the base of the shower and the floor, then another layer to cover it all up before replacing the cover plate. There still should be some room for belly heat to migrate in to that area when the furnace is on.
Attachment 381702
Then I thought about the exterior shower. With the valves behind the back of the plastic enclosure, there is only that and the lid protecting them from the cold—essentially nothing. So I removed the hose and faucet knobs for the winter, and cut a piece of the R13 to fill the box. Hopefully that will eliminate waking up to a broken valve in the wall on a cold winter night.
Attachment 381703
Attachment 381704
Way to stay ahead of problems.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:16 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I keep a pair of fleece-lined wool socks in my Interstate, and if it were me I’d be pulling them out and having them ready.

Maggie
Old 10-25-2020, 06:20 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
My trick for the shower drain has been to pour some rv antifreeze down it after showering in the morning.

Good luck!