Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
A Full-Time Mountain Winter in The Aluminum Tent 3!

Well, I'm committed! After selling my home in April just in time for the Covid-19 quarantine, it's been six months of full-time living, both on the road, as well as 'in-place' for the summer (still have to work!) in the Park City, Utah area. So far so good, but here comes the true test of my hardiness and resilience--spending the winter with Parley, my sheltie, in my 2014 23d/cb Flying Cloud!

I'll be in an RV Resort near Park City, Utah, with full-hookups, and am in the planning stages for the various projects needed to get through a long cold winter as comfortably as possible, including skirting/insulating, protection of water supply and dump hoses/valves, interior temperature and humidity management, etc.

I'll be updating this thread fairly often with updates on how I prepare, how I am making out, and what expected or unexpected challenges I encounter.

Wish me luck!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9606.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	380387

Name:	IMG_9607.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	380388
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Good luck with it. How cold are the temps there in January and February? I'm anxious to see the updates. Nice rig by the way!
tbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, good luck!

Stock up on microfleece tops, bottoms, and socks.

They will keep you toasty warm.

Maggie
Old 10-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Temps throughout the season will vary from below zero at times, to lots of single digits and teens at night, and days in the 20s, 30s and (hopefully and abundance of!) 40s. I do have one thing in my favor right up front...I like a cooler living environment and even in my sticks and bricks home, kept the heat down to near 50 at night, and 65 if home during the day. I know some people who like to sleep in 75 degree bedrooms, which I wouldn't be able to breath in. I'm fine lounging around at 60sh degrees with the suggested fleece and warm socks!
Old 10-10-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
It’s going to be very valuable for us all to hear what you come up with. Someone with your experience will have a lot to offer.

I, for one, would love someone creative to figure out a good way to avoid burring gallons of propane keeping the tanks thawed while being mobile. In a fixed use case I assume you are skirting the unit and maybe even putting a heater under there?
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Jefferson City , Missouri
Winter plans

You may want to have a second set of propane tanks that you can rotate in as needed. May allow you to avoid any emergency runs! Just a thought.
Jsailmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Good luck! I've done two winters in northern Indiana now in my '83 310, seen temps as low as -20F. What worked for me was insulating the sewer hose, and running those little frost king heat wire things along the sewer hose, and along any spots inside where the pipes are going to get cold and risk freezing.

I have a composting toilet, and left the grey tank open all the time, just took a long hot shower every day to make sure any icicles got melted.

Cutting down the draft on the windows is good, though I found the plastic wrap over the windows to be psychologically not worth it.

Humidity was only an issue for me in the swing season, and I recommend leaving the shower exhaust fan running all day so you're slowly bringing in dry air. (Have a spare motor)
This makes you run the heat more, but I've had no problems with excess humidity this way, usually when it's real cold things are much too dry and I wanted a humidifier more than a dehumidifier

The first winter we were exposed, the second we were sheltered from the wind, no skirt either year but it will help they are a good idea, especially with a 100W light under there.

The first we used I think $100ish in propane every month plus two space heaters, the second we used just two space heaters and never used the propane. One oil filled one ceramic. Our electric bill was about 300/mo

I don't actually recommend keeping it real cold like you say, keeping the thermostat high helps keep the nooks and crannies where the pipes are at from freezing.

There are also 12v pads I've seen that work well for keeping tanks and dump valves warm.

Have fun and enjoy your skiing!!
Old 10-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
An Adventure

My AS is home, in one place, year round, in milder Washington. Like many others I will look forward to knowing your experiences, so thank you in advance. As you are already taking all the better actions, I only add one item not yet mentioned: I have an electric heat lamp ready should it help. Good wishes.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
COLLEGE GROVE , TN
You have my respect and admiration!! I’m not sure I could do it. I’ll be interested to read your progress posts! Good luck!
mnicholson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
Electric Water heater option

Hopefully you have the option to use 115 volt AC for your water heater. That will save on your winter consumption of propane. (On an earlier Airstream I had to add an immersion heater element in the water heater drain fitting).
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyJim View Post
Hopefully you have the option to use 115 volt AC for your water heater. That will save on your winter consumption of propane. (On an earlier Airstream I had to add an immersion heater element in the water heater drain fitting).
^
Only run it when you need HW and rent a residential LP tank.

Stay warm...how many 'Union Suits' have you ordered?🥴

BTW you are two dogs short for a really warm '3 Dog Night'.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I wish you'd luck and I think for the most part any hardy dedicated person can do it for "a winter" maybe not successive.

You'll have lots of good tips in this thread for the next person that asks.

The nice things about airstreams is on sunny day it will heat up nicely.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Cool

I've been full-timing in my 27FB for 3 years now in far NE WA state (just south of the Canadian border).

First year was more iffy as the AS was out in the open. I bought a metal carport the second year and that's made a ton of difference. I have 2" foam insulation as skirting and some Rockwool stuffed in the cracks and crannies.

Originally, I was looking at renting a 120 gallon propane tank but none of the vendors would oblige. At first one said they would at a very reasonable cost, then when I told them where I lived they said they would only provide a 250 gallon tank - they didn't want to have to deliver up here in the winter. Another one would do it if I bought and paid for the tank and installation at a little over $1,100 for the tank and installation (did not include any propane).

I'm on a well with power so on the really cold days I have to disconnect the water to keep the hose from freezing (AS is @ 75' from the hydrant). Also have a Honda 3000 generator as the power goes out all the time up here - snow load on trees in the winter and wind blown trees downed in the summer.

I have 2 - 40# aluminum propane tanks and refill them @ every 2-3 weeks in the winter and a dehumidifier in both the BR and lounge. Only use both of them in the winter. A local service provider empties my black tank.

This area has a lot of summer recreational visitors. Many of those people buy property up here, then after a couple of winters decide this area isn't for them - too cold and too much snow.

I cant imagine living anywhere else.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #14
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
It’s going to be very valuable for us all to hear what you come up with. Someone with your experience will have a lot to offer.

I, for one, would love someone creative to figure out a good way to avoid burring gallons of propane keeping the tanks thawed while being mobile. In a fixed use case I assume you are skirting the unit and maybe even putting a heater under there?
My plan is to install skirting, but also going to attach household batt insulation to the underbelly. Still mulling over the ways to attach it, and probably cover it, likely with housewrap or something similar. Keeping the underbelly and floors warm will be my major focus. If needed I'll add heat under there but hoping with insulation and a skirt, that will be enough. I am going to put an electronic thermometer sending unit down in to the belly so I can monitor the temps in there, and then see how I make out.

Obviously, once I do this I won't be moving until spring. Other than burning propane, can't think of any other way to keep the tanks warm while traveling/mobile.

I am going to hook up a 100# propane cylinder to one of my pigtails, leaving a 30# on the other, that will get auto-switched to when the 100# runs out and needs refilling. Then I'll also have the other 30# as my emergency backup.

With the skirt and insulation, hoping I'll burn through much less propane. I am also working on my solutions to insulate the windows without having to use reflectix which would make it too dark for me. I'll use some, but on a few windows I am planning on fabricating 'storm windows' using acrylic plexiglass, that will match the footprint of the screens. I'll remove the screens, and install the plexiglass using the same screws, with some weatherstrip of some sort against the window frame. This will provide a nice air-tight barrier that should keep a lot of heat in, while minimizing condensation, but giving me lots of lights and a view outside.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #15
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Good luck! I've done two winters in northern Indiana now in my '83 310, seen temps as low as -20F. What worked for me was insulating the sewer hose, and running those little frost king heat wire things along the sewer hose, and along any spots inside where the pipes are going to get cold and risk freezing.

I have a composting toilet, and left the grey tank open all the time, just took a long hot shower every day to make sure any icicles got melted.

Cutting down the draft on the windows is good, though I found the plastic wrap over the windows to be psychologically not worth it.

Humidity was only an issue for me in the swing season, and I recommend leaving the shower exhaust fan running all day so you're slowly bringing in dry air. (Have a spare motor)
This makes you run the heat more, but I've had no problems with excess humidity this way, usually when it's real cold things are much too dry and I wanted a humidifier more than a dehumidifier

The first winter we were exposed, the second we were sheltered from the wind, no skirt either year but it will help they are a good idea, especially with a 100W light under there.

The first we used I think $100ish in propane every month plus two space heaters, the second we used just two space heaters and never used the propane. One oil filled one ceramic. Our electric bill was about 300/mo

I don't actually recommend keeping it real cold like you say, keeping the thermostat high helps keep the nooks and crannies where the pipes are at from freezing.

There are also 12v pads I've seen that work well for keeping tanks and dump valves warm.

Have fun and enjoy your skiing!!
Thanks for the tips. I am looking in to heat pads I might attach to the belly under the tanks. Dump valves will be heat-taped, then insulated. Also plan on using a combination of an oil-filled radiator type heater and a ceramic, for supplemental heat depending on how much I need to run the on-board furnace to keep the underside warm. Planning on insulating and skirting under there to help with that. There are nice facilities where I'm staying with private bathrooms/showers, so I might be using those often to avoid that humidity add. Lots to think about!
Old 10-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #16
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post
I've been full-timing in my 27FB for 3 years now in far NE WA state (just south of the Canadian border).
Andy you are on top of it. Living in an RV Resort with full hookups (where I'll be) is luxurious and much easier by comparison! Awesome job!
Old 10-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I just stumbled across this inflatable skirting system which I hadn’t seen before. An interesting idea especially for those not in a long-term situation. https://www.airskirts.com/

Has anyone tried this?

Which got me thinking about, again for a mobile application, using a tall air mattresses under the tanks. Maybe something like this.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:44 PM   #18
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
A Full-Time Mountain Winter in The Aluminum Tent 3!

How ironic. First snow on the mountain tops this a.m.

Name:	A394598D-A130-4833-B8AB-C02600B37214.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	380622
Old 10-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Best of luck. We'll be looking forward to your progress and updates.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
I don't know why, but the Endurance came to mind. Tighten up those stabilizers!

Have fun on those days full of pow at Deer Valley!
Attached Images

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote