Old 12-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Why do all the "airstreams are 3 season trailers" people come to the winter living section

I just wanted to say preach! I honestly think it’s because they can’t do it and are jaded, I ignore all the overly confident “airstreams are 3 season” people. I have a group of backpacking buddies and we only do winter camping in 2lb tents. Worst case scenario is winterize and use the AS as a tent...on the other hand see my later post, issue resolved!!

Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
Was able to get away from work this am, unskirted today, went to friendly RV store, bugs stuck in furnace exhaust and needed a new motherboard inside the furnace, all is well and working again, we are warm, I am familiar with Northern Indiana temps having lived and worked here before. I can’t just “go south” for the winter... #okboomer

Old 12-12-2019, 10:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
Was able to get away from work this am, unskirted today, went to friendly RV store, bugs stuck in furnace exhaust and needed a new motherboard inside the furnace, all is well and working again, we are warm, I am familiar with Northern Indiana temps having lived and worked here before. I can’t just “go south” for the winter... #okboomer
Glad all worked out for you.
Sorry we didn't read about your issue sooner and could have responded.
We had the same experience and had to replace the motherboard as well as the high limit switch ... a non AS dealer was kind enough to replace the parts under warranty!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 2-dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:54 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Glad all worked out for you.

Sorry we didn't read about your issue sooner and could have responded.

We had the same experience and had to replace the motherboard as well as the high limit switch ... a non AS dealer was kind enough to replace the parts under warranty!

Nice and lucky you all. Simple fix after all
Old 12-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
19 degrees, no furnace 😊

Nope, still have the problem. Nothing fixes it, a new Dometic thermostat doesn’t fix it, a new circuit board doesn’t fix it, paying $300 to an Atwood certified mechanic doesn’t fix it, getting mad and posting on here doesn’t fix it, emailing Airstream certainly doesn’t fix it (no response). The 32 degree problem is incurable I’ve decided. What a shame that this board and Airstream are going to make me an unhappy customer...I have tons of followers on social media that follow my lifestyle and hear me laud on and on about Airstreams and literally not even a response to my email, come on. THOR I live literally 40 miles from your headquarters, HELP ME!!!
Old 12-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post

Unfortunately, incorrect dx...the 32 degree problem continues
Old 12-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
Just thought I’d share what I’ve learned today. Dometic and Atwood are the same company and pressing FAN PROGRAM and F/C at the same time while the unit is turned off puts the Dometic “thermostat” into diagnostic mode, under diagnostic mode if you up to the number 11, it’ll display the outside temp...kinda cool. Furnace still has the 32 degree problem, but at least I can turn it on or off, it just won’t shut off automatically when set temp is reached, displays only 32. Airstream customer service answered the phone today, local RV mechanic reached Dometic and learned of the FAN/PROGRAM/F/C move, but none of the standard error codes displayed. I came home removed the panels and all is dry behind the shower. Airstream and local RV mechanic now seem to be leaning towards the “roof” thermostat, will see what tomorrow brings!
Old 12-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Can you not hot wire it and short the thermostat wires together so it runs all the time?
Bypass that comfort control center BS and just use a cheap bi metal thermostat.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Can you not hot wire it and short the thermostat wires together so it runs all the time?
Bypass that comfort control center BS and just use a cheap bi metal thermostat.

Perry
@spartanguy - see my post 11, above. Furnace control by the dometic thermostat is overly complicated. When it works it's great. When it doesn't it's a PITA.

Edit: It is hard for me to understand how the furnace could be involved in the 32 degree problem. The interface between the furnace and the Dometic thermostat is through the AC unit. The furnace sends 12V to the AC unit. IF the AC unit sends the 12V back on the second wire, the furnace runs. There is no direct connection between the furnace and the thermostat.

The interface between the thermostat and the AC unit is more complex. If changing the thermostat did not fix the 32 degree problem that leaves only the interconnecting wiring and the control board in the AC unit. My first response would be to clean the connections on the telephone wire interface at the thermostat and the AC unit. While you have the AC unit open, move each of the DIP switches back and forth several times to clean off any corrosion on the contacts. Be sure to return them to their original configuration. Then reset the system as described in the thermostat manual.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
@spartanguy - see my post 11, above. Furnace control by the dometic thermostat is overly complicated. When it works it's great. When it doesn't it's a PITA.

Edit: It is hard for me to understand how the furnace could be involved in the 32 degree problem. The interface between the furnace and the Dometic thermostat is through the AC unit. The furnace sends 12V to the AC unit. IF the AC unit sends the 12V back on the second wire, the furnace runs. There is no direct connection between the furnace and the thermostat.

The interface between the thermostat and the AC unit is more complex. If changing the thermostat did not fix the 32 degree problem that leaves only the interconnecting wiring and the control board in the AC unit. My first response would be to clean the connections on the telephone wire interface at the thermostat and the AC unit. While you have the AC unit open, move each of the DIP switches back and forth several times to clean off any corrosion on the contacts. Be sure to return them to their original configuration. Then reset the system as described in the thermostat manual.

Al

Al, I just removed the vents under the AC and can see some wiring and the dreaded telephone chord (how long is that dang thing, lol). No corrosion on the thermostat end, looks brand new. I can’t quite see where it connects into the AC from the inside (mine is ducted). It’s sunny and above freezing today, going to let this snow melt off the roof and climb up there tomorrow I guess. I can see a little moisture up in and around the AC, not sure if that means anything. I am exhausted by this all though. Took the afternoon off for a nap and then plan to proceed with trying to do what I can from the inside, here’s a couple pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7338.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	357810Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7339.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	357811
Old 12-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Don't you need to be working on the furnace end not the AC end? There should be 2 wires going to the Thermostat (comfort control) whatever you call it. Short those and it should run till you pull the wires apart. The AC probably has a similar wire. Dig into the furnace area not the AC.

Perry
Old 12-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
19 degrees, no furnace 😊

Quote:
Don't you need to be working on the furnace end not the AC end? There should be 2 wires going to the Thermostat (comfort control) whatever you call it. Short those and it should run till you pull the wires apart. The AC probably has a similar wire. Dig into the furnace area not the AC.

Perry

Was trying to follow Al and Missy’s lead.

The other end has a new thermostat and looks good.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7214.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	357834Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7238.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	357835
Old 12-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
Apologies, my post somehow turned into two and I’m jumping back and forth (moderators removed post then put it back, idk). Either way kinda double posting now, here is the latest:

Will look the video over, appreciate everyone’s input. I am, very sadly, going home to Louisville to leave my Airstream garaged in my family’s shop and to grab SOB camper laying around (loving family of car/camper hoarders) and going to live in SOB🤢 until....so sad. Local RV mechanic has given up. Airstream, to be honest, gave me the nice we don’t give a **** tone bring it to Jackson Center. No time for that now, off to live in a Coachman I guess At this point posting my SOB adventure ALL OVER my social media #airstreamfailwedontcare
Old 12-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What is the exact model furnace you have. We can find a schematic and hot wire it. Most are just a simple on/off line but it sounds like technology has just made a simple thing hard. I think there is a different control board for the one with the fancy thermostat but everything can be hacked. All my stuff is separate so I don't have the single point of failure problem.

Perry
Old 12-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
To be clear, my furnace now “works”, but only stays on or off. Not a viable solution for sleeping working hours. Will read proper temperature inside the coach on off setting, while on, only reads 32. Same scenario on two different thermostats. Board in furnace replaced and furnace all around serviced. Airstream and others saying there’s a thermostat under the AC. This is a lot for a guy who sees vets back to back all day for therapy, can’t take any more time off so moving into SOB.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
Quote:
What is the exact model furnace you have. We can find a schematic and hot wire it. Most are just a simple on/off line but it sounds like technology has just made a simple thing hard. I think there is a different control board for the one with the fancy thermostat but everything can be hacked. All my stuff is separate so I don't have the single point of failure problem.

Perry

Atwood AFMD25
Old 12-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Reidsville , Georgia
Its 19degrees tonight in West Virginia and I am very comfortable with a working Atwood furnace and small heater on floor between front seats.....but it was not always that good!!

After replacing almost every part on my furnace we finally disconnected it from the Dometic tstat and installed a basic furnace tstat from Honeywell. Works perfect......so much for the digital stuff from Dometic!!

Also added an adapter for my big propane tank and now have 2 smaller 5 gallon tanks that can be rotated. So far they last about a week per tank.

Hope Spartanguy got his working!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here is a manual with the schematic. Two wires going in for 12V power and two coming out for the thermostat. If shorting the two thermostat wires turns it on you can just get a simple bimetal thermostat and that will get you by.

See page 8

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...wood%20AFM.PDF

https://www.amazon.com/Rodgers-1C20-...6764014&sr=8-6

Perry
Old 12-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
On my way to pick up my SOB and get my AS into a heated garage. Just thought I’d share a new piece of info, the tanks ran out of propane last night (continuous on) and after the tanks ran out the thermostat stopped having the 32 degree problem showed proper temp but blew only cool fan air, assuming 32 degree problem will return with propane, just another little oddity to add that might spark someone’s mind who has more experience than me.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
Quote:
Here is a manual with the schematic. Two wires going in for 12V power and two coming out for the thermostat. If shorting the two thermostat wires turns it on you can just get a simple bimetal thermostat and that will get you by.

See page 8

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...wood%20AFM.PDF

https://www.amazon.com/Rodgers-1C20-...6764014&sr=8-6

Perry

Thanks Perry, should have let you know I already had the manual, the service one too. Unclear and uneasy about shorting wires, will discuss further with people in the family shop.