Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Question What to do about floor lam glue?

So i'm laying floating pergo this weekend, and i learned quickly that a/s originally glued the kitchen laminate. now i've got that mountain scape of glue to contend with.

as far as i know, i need a smooth surface on which to lay my vapor barrier before laying the panels. trying to chip away the glue is a royal pain, and sanding just gums up my sandpaper.

what to do? should i just sand it down until it's smooth and not get perfection, or should i literally get all that glue up to avoid headaches?

it seems to me that there's no way i'm going to be able to get a perfectly smooth surface out of this because the fiberboard chips, leaving little indentations, and the glue is the glue of the lord, virtually indestructible.

do i need to really sand to a rut-less perfect subfloor? my plan now is to just sand off the rough edges and not worry too much about the chips and extra few micrometers of glue.

what do you all think?
MichaelMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I would sand to a smooth surface, not perfect. I think you are correct in planning to get rid of the sharp edges and bumps

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
You could also use a floor leveler compound, it will smooth out the floor and is easy to use and light weight. "Level-Best" is what I have used, and works fine. I know there is also one made by DAP (you should be able to find it at the "Big Box" home stores. It will cost about $20.00 per box, you may need 2 boxes for the entire job....

Good Luck! Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Leveling compound

The leveling compound is good stuff in a stationary house, but it is heavy.

Can you knock off the high spots with a shurform shaper or a plane? Any small high spots that can be knocked off will save a lot of weight that will be towed for years.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Los Angeles , California
i sanded down as best i could and decided not to get too crazy. a dude i know who does floors said the vapor barrier would take care of any minor imperfections. i'm almost done with the living room and my knees are killing me i'm a tad concerned though, where the gap at the edges should be roughly a quarter inch, mine are well over a half. i could salvage these pieces and start over and get more flush. should i?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
When I laid my laminate flooring, I used the heavier underpad made of rag fiber I think which also had a vapour barrier rather than the white styrofoam which was thinner and I was told it might result in 'squeeking' when one walked on the laminate.

I had a bit more than 1/4 inch gap around the edges and covered that by nailing one quarter round resulting in a good finish.

My job was my first flooring and was about 3 years ago - still good although when a knife or can drops on the floor it can chip the laminate. Also, make sure all your joints are as tight as possible.

I am sure you will love the finished job, and it makes sweeping out the trailer a real simple job.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Put luan down for a subfloor over your vapour barrier. This will provide a smooth surface.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Well, I went for it. Here's what I've got so far:

Now to tackle the rear bed and center bath where rot and leaks have me tied up. You may be wondering why I didn't just do it all at once. I'm full-timing, so my chi can't handle a fully torn apart stream. Here's my progress on that front.

Tags
floor, glue, kitchen, laminate, sanding