Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2023, 09:28 AM   #21
2018. Tommy Bahama 19í

2022 28' International
Hutto , Tx
I had noticed discoloration under the Airstream mat at the door in both my Tommy and my International. I attributed it to temperature gradients and condensation. I just put a silicone nonskid webbing under the airstream mat for air circulation and never had a problem again. Also the vinyl dried out and went back to normal color after I first noticed the issue and corrected it.
BetseyHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:53 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
Our 2022 is showing yellow spots under the Airstream supplied mat and a standard carpet runner we got from Lowes.

We are in the position of having had a 2019 with the exact same runner for two years. No yellow spots.

This is some reaction between the Airstream flooring and the material of the runner.

We just keep the runner in place. It covers the yellow spots. They do not seem to fade even if the camper floor is 100% dry.

Not happy about this but not the end of the world.
ricjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:09 AM   #23
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
We installed a few of these rugs in our Classic. They don't have a backing and so far they have been very stable. No slipping or sliding.

I did have to cut a few of them to size correctly. I simply serged the cut edge and turn it under about an inch and sewed it down. Now we have full coverage. I've attached a phone of the underside showing the results on a small scrape piece I had left over. The top is my modification and the bottom is the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5916.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	428729  
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:38 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Battle Ground , Washington
We had an issue with our bedroom window leaking. The water ran down the inside and wet the linoleum. I noticed black spots on everywhere and freaked out. Spoke with JC and supposedly it’s a dark adhesive that they used (we have a 2019 International Signature). We dried it out, recaulked all around the windows and no further problems. I’ve used rugs in our AS since day one with no issues at all and still do as we are FT. This looks very similar to what we experienced and I’m wondering if the adhesive leeched through on yours as well. JC was going to replace the flooring but we had a tight schedule and couldn’t make the week in a hotel that it would have taken to replace the floor and subfloor.
Supposedly AS has switched floor adhesives and is no longer using a dark/black adhesive any longer. It’s very noticeable on a light floor unfortunately.
forestgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Airstream mat

Get used to it. Airstream quality has deteriorated along with their customer service. We just took delivery of our 2023 FC after a 19 month wait only to discover dents along both window guards. It was next to impossible getting an appointment at JC and had to do everything by email. Airstream doesnít even want to talk to their customers. Of course, we finally got a June appointment and now have to haul it 650 miles to JC at our expense of course. Wish we had never ordered a new Airstream.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 12:18 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
El Prado , NM
I had a small rubber backed mat I put under my dogs bowl to protect my oak hardware floors. When I took it up to clean the are the black rubber material had degraded just enough to stain my new floors with black residue. I lived with that mark for 15 years and finally got rid of it when I had the floors resanded, stained and sealed. Sorry, I hope you find a better solution than I did.
julieannbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:06 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
What you have is a water leek, pooling under the linoleum. Iíd send you my picís but they look exactly like yours. Iíve had the furniture pulled twice by JC. I now also know the cause of the leeks. Itís about a 2 week job. Make sure they completely dry the sub-floor the first time. Or youíll be back for a second visit like me.
Smith1876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 05:34 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
2007 25' International CCD FB
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington

Name:	IMG-8651.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	428885Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-8650.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	428886I have the same problem. I thought it may be a water leak under the floor and saturating the wood floor from the bottom and then causing discoloration of the floor.
Photos attached..... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-8651.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	428885

Name:	IMG-8650.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	428886
DonDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Thanks for the corroboration, Smith1876 and Dondiego.
I finally opened the compartment for the water pump (what a cockamamie setup!) and noticed a water trace on the well well cover. It was directly below an electrical cable penetration in the fridge compartment.
I opened the lower outside fridge compartment door and noticed that
1) the penetration for the wires was only caulked on one side, and
2) the drain hose for the fridge defrost had not bee pulled all the way to the frame of the door compartment, which is notched to allow condensate to drain outside the trailer.
So, depending on how the trailer is sitting (level wise), the melt water can drain into the bottom of the compartment, through the opening for the cable, and then under the linoleum to cause the damage I observed.
I encourage all owners to look inside their fridge compartment and address these shortcomings if you find them. It should only take a few minutes, and may save your flooring.
Now I need to decide whether to pursue this with Airstream. On the one hand, it is still barely under warranty and the discolored floor will greatly reduce resale value. On the other hand, the inconvenience of being without is considerable, and I have little confidence the dealer or factory wonít introduce other problems when removing so many of the cabinets.
I also hate to see them get away with such a halfhearted effort to find the problem (Itís the mats!!!) but expect more infuriating weaseling if I do prursue the warranty.
Thoughts?
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:47 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
2007 25' International CCD FB
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
"Throw out that Airstream mat... NOW!"

Thoughts..... I would pursue warranty, but that's just me.
I hate that we are having this problem. My cause is different than your's. I have checked for leaks from water pump and the frig drain, but they are fine. So I fear a water line that runs under the floor but above the water tanks. And I am out of warranty. The task will be a big one. The floor will have to come up to allow the wood to dry. They the belly pan dropped and thanks removed to reveal the floor and plumbing from the bottom. Repairs made and everything installed.. then new flooring.

I am just at a loss to know what failed.
DonDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:05 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Franklin , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetseyHF View Post
I had noticed discoloration under the Airstream mat at the door in both my Tommy and my International. I attributed it to temperature gradients and condensation. I just put a silicone nonskid webbing under the airstream mat for air circulation and never had a problem again. Also the vinyl dried out and went back to normal color after I first noticed the issue and corrected it.
That Airstream rug is intended for outdoor use only per the ownerís manual.
TNOutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:15 PM   #32
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Thanks for the corroboration, Smith1876 and Dondiego.
I finally opened the compartment for the water pump (what a cockamamie setup!) and noticed a water trace on the well well cover. It was directly below an electrical cable penetration in the fridge compartment.
I opened the lower outside fridge compartment door and noticed that
1) the penetration for the wires was only caulked on one side, and
2) the drain hose for the fridge defrost had not bee pulled all the way to the frame of the door compartment, which is notched to allow condensate to drain outside the trailer.
So, depending on how the trailer is sitting (level wise), the melt water can drain into the bottom of the compartment, through the opening for the cable, and then under the linoleum to cause the damage I observed.
I encourage all owners to look inside their fridge compartment and address these shortcomings if you find them. It should only take a few minutes, and may save your flooring.
Now I need to decide whether to pursue this with Airstream. On the one hand, it is still barely under warranty and the discolored floor will greatly reduce resale value. On the other hand, the inconvenience of being without is considerable, and I have little confidence the dealer or factory wonít introduce other problems when removing so many of the cabinets.
I also hate to see them get away with such a halfhearted effort to find the problem (Itís the mats!!!) but expect more infuriating weaseling if I do prursue the warranty.
Thoughts?
I would pursue the warranty. It is there for a reason. Use it.

I've found AS to be reasonable on warranty issues. The backlog of repairs is so high at JC that it will most likely be well past summer before they would have an open slot to make the repairs.

And they removed and reinstalled cabinets for me with no noticeable difference.

I hope they fix it for you.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:00 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
JC worked with us and discounted some of our cost for both visits. I would try to work with the service writer. They didn’t cover it all, but they listened and were fair.
Smith1876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:52 AM   #34
2018. Tommy Bahama 19í

2022 28' International
Hutto , Tx
Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNOutback View Post
That Airstream rug is intended for outdoor use only per the ownerís manual.
Good to know, thanks. I have never once seen someone put theirs outside the door.
BetseyHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 12:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
So, IMO the dark discoloration has nothing to do with rubber backed matts or anything the owners have done. The vinyl layment that Airstream and many RV manufacturers uses is layered, very fine layers, but layered. Again, after a lot of research, cutting away some of the flooring under a sink area, and looking at it under a microscope I believe it's the glue used to laminate the layers together. I've seen it in large areas and in a very small area of trailers. I've used mold remover among other products - nothing, no impact. So with approval I found some under the sink, cut out a 2'x4" area and looked and separated the layers as best I could, again IMO it's glue. We have two Airstreams, one a 28' 2020 with a very tiny area of this and a 2017 Classic (which by the way is for sale) with nothing. We are going to redo the floor on the 2020 as we don't like it anyway. Best of luck, Problem is if Airstream settles one they can be obligated to settle all and even if I am correct the flooring company will deny any claims.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 04:09 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
So, IMO the dark discoloration has nothing to do with rubber backed matts or anything the owners have done. The vinyl layment that Airstream and many RV manufacturers uses is layered, very fine layers, but layered. .... Best of luck, Problem is if Airstream settles one they can be obligated to settle all and even if I am correct the flooring company will deny any claims.
Thanks for the information. I was scheduled to go by the dealer the first week of July, but physically wasn't up to traveling in the Florida record heat. Currently we are scheduled for November.

If Airstream won't honor the warranty, I will take it somewhere besides the dealer for the replacement and keep the old flooring as evidence in case a legal recourse opens up. I understand that repairs represent a potentially huge liability, but having all these distressed units come up for resale with the owners' accounts of being stuck with a design issue won't be cheap for the corporation either.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetseyHF View Post
Good to know, thanks. I have never once seen someone put theirs outside the door.
When I first saw TNOutback's comment, I checked my manual for that restriction. I could not find it anywhere.

And yes, BetseyHF, in a state park that mat would last about 2 weeks outdoors.

Happy Travels!
Old 07-16-2023, 05:49 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Franklin , Tennessee
Quote:
When I first saw TNOutback's comment, I checked my manual for that restriction. I could not find it anywhere.

And yes, BetseyHF, in a state park that mat would last about 2 weeks outdoors.

Happy Travels!
Itís on Page 5-3 of my Flying Cloud manual
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E34CC650-4156-4150-9E77-CDDB97855DE7.png
Views:	76
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	434328  
TNOutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:08 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
And I doubt that Airstream does either, which is why Iím so upset.
Iíll try to add a photo.
I did root cause analysis in industry for years, and this really looks like water pooled under the linoleum and degraded it from below.
I am not confident in getting any serious consideration without paying to have the dealer pull out all the fittings and lift the linoleum. Perhaps I should contact an inspector?
Thanks for the support and suggestions.
We had similar stains in our 2020 28' FC. Went thru the process, then resigned to it's out problem. So, contacted an old friend who used to run a factory making flooring like in the AS. He said it can come from under the floor, OR from the layers making up the floor covering. OR from the composite floor the covering is laid on, which is my guess. Especially considering I've heard AS changed the composite floor composition.

We pulled our floor coverning out, all of it, took out everything but the shower and refridgerator area and put in MarineVinyl flooring. This flooring as a backing on it, and seems to be much better than the thin cheap covering used by AS. It's the same type flooring put in Classics, lots of choices. Best of luck.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 05:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
TNoutback,
I just now saw your highlighted owner’s manual in post #38. (Thanks for taking the trouble.) My 2020 manual has nothing about the supplied Airstream mat, but warns that “Rubber backing on doormats may result in a yellow discoloration of the floor immediately beneath.” Not the same situation as my stain, which runs continuously along the floor, even where there were no mats.
Paceman,
Thanks for the update in post #39. Could you provide more information on the replacement flooring you used?