Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
St. Petersburg , Florida
Suggestions please for new Flooring without removal of orig cabinets

Hi there, trying to find a new flooring material to install in my 62 TW that will not impede with any drawers or cabinet doors opening (like the front gaucho drawers). I loved the idea of the wood look laminate "floating" floors and no glue, etc. but I think they are all too thick and more appropriate for an install that includes removal of the original cabinets (and replacing them). I really want to be able to work with the existing cabinets and so I need a flooring that will be installed up to the cabinets. Suggestions please? Thank you!!
Mary in Beautiful Sunny St. Petersburg, FL
Mary Burris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
There are many vinyl plank products out there. Other than paint, they're the thinnest products available. We used Karndean flooring with professional installation. Glue down and did not require the removal of the cabinets (although we did have the upholstery out at the time).
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You could use Marmoleum tiles (linoleum). They would be correct for the age of your trailer. You could also use VCT (vinyl composite tile), which is a little more institutional looking but very durable. The linoleum is all natural, which is appealing for some. Home Depot sells Traffic Master which is a vinyl plank floor that comes in different 'wood' finishes. It is easy to install. Do a search for any of these options and you'll get loads of information for them here.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Many of us have used Allure by Trafficmaster from home depot-- it's a solid vinyl plank. Our is fantastic, we have never had any issues with it at all, and it looks great and functions beautifully!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The time to remove the cabinets is so small it is not worth consider. Took lees than an hour to remove all but the kitchen sink from my 34. That makes installing the floor so much easier that it is a no brainer. NO cutting. No molding. Lot of room to work. A good helper is a good investment, she watched for the details.

If you go the Laminate route consider the locking mechanism. I found Armstrong the best for working in this small a space. It is a Fold togeather rather than a slam or hit together.

When you reinstall the cabinets just drill a 1 in. hole where the screws go into the subfloor and screw down through them.

I have seen no evidence of movement in 6 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	127_2705.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	192867   Click image for larger version

Name:	127_2706.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	192868  

Click image for larger version

Name:	139_3917.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	192869  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Griffin , Georgia
We just purchased the vinyl plank flooring that is tongue and grove. We found this at Floor and Décor. We should be installing this in the next few weeks. We looked at several options, and this looked the easiest to install and the best type to install.
Bassrats2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
IVC Flooring makes a vinyl tile that a "click" locking sytem that is used by many laminate mfgr's. The product is a bit thicker than sheet vinyl but is water resistant. The product is available thru Carpetland USA retailers. IVC also makes a sheet vinyl product that has a fiberglass core and in small area applications can be "loose-layed" (floating) that is available at most Lowes Home Centers. I do suggest a bead of water-proof caulking along all perimeters to keep moisture from the sub floor.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote