Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Question about Vinyl Flooring

Hi all,
Here to ask the experts about my two choices of vinyl flooring suggested to me by flooring company.
First choice: LifeProof Luxury Vinyl Rigid Core plank- 1/4" thick with a rigid core and a PVC backing that has a tiny bit of push to it

Other choice: Interlocking Vinyl plank flooring , 1/8" thick with a very hard PVC black vinyl backing .

Product sheet says indoor only but salesman said it would be ok. I trust only you guys and your opinion. I am in Houston, Tx so hot and humid here 10months, cold and wet the other 2months.

Both choices have very little to No bend to the sample I was given.

I just want an nice plank floor . Will be doing it myself and I am pretty handy.

Thanks for all opinions, Joanie
Finnegan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Vinyl is good stuff. Vinyl expands and contracts a lot. I've had trouble with gaps opening up between the planks. And I've been very disappointed in the quality of the "click" joint between the planks. It doesn't hold the planks together.

We put a cork engineered floor in the Limited. It was much higher quality, and higher cost too. It has served us well these last ten years. No gaps.

My current trailer has a very thin plank vinyl floor that was glued down. It doesn't show signs of gaps or coming up. It seems tough. I didn't install it, but I've been impressed versus the vinyl plank stuff I bought on sale.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1405 Floor Covering Install 2 (Small).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	304380  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Okay, here's what we found out.......ridgid core is most suitable in houses or places with really strong subfloors. It doesn't like deviations or ups and downs, causing joints to open and groans and creaks. It also can be very hard to install in small places as you need to tilt the planking in order for the joints to click together.

Might I make a suggestion....glue down Flexiplank Luxury Vinyl Planking. This product does not expand or contract as it has a fibreglass core. These planks, like in the link down below, will follow ups and downs with no gaps; softer to walk on than ridgid core; far more easily repaired (hot air gun and the glue will release; pull up plank and replace with new one); cheaper and easier to install as it falls into place and cuts with an exacto knife (box cutter).

I really wish I had done my AS with this flooring.

http://xlflooring.ca/products/flexiplank/

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote