Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2002, 01:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Picture of my new "Pergo" floor

I just installed this "Pergo" knock off floor. Looks good and its easy to clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pergo.jpg
Views:	1238
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	273  
74Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up

Looks Good!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 01:54 PM   #3
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Beach sand and wood floor

Your floor looks great! Is it easy to clean? Is beach sand a problem? Does it get between the cracks in the wood? Does sand scratch the wood? I'd like to replace my carpet with wood.
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 03:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Sand and Pergo

The seams are all very tight so I don't think sand will go there. Sand can probably scratch the surface. You could also use some throw rugs or runners to help with that problem. It cleans up quickly.

We went to the beach for our first outing/shakedown trip and did not notice any problem with the flooring.

We took out brand new carpeting the PO had installed. Carpeting and camping don't get along we found out with our previous motorhomes and campers.

Ciao, Brian
74Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 03:22 PM   #5
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
More Pergo info...

From post Partial Floor change ...
Quote:
one comment on Pergo or other laminate flooring-
it has been a wonderful addition in my house, have had it about 5 years now. Cleaned only with a white vinegar and water solution and it looks new. Just don't use much water on it as it will buckle if you do. We clean with small amounts of the liquid and use a swiffer type cloth to clean before ( dust it).
Dr Joe - I expect you have seen Peter's posts on this, as he floated some bondo type material to flatten the floor before applying the laminate over it. He had sone rivets or something sticking up there. I intend to do my kitchen and possibly more as well.
I have Pergo in my house. There are less seems because the pattern of the wood is actually mostly laminate and the seems are only every 18". The are a locking tounge and groove and are very very tight! The stuff is amazingly strong. I plan on installing it in my Bmabi.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 04:04 PM   #6
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Nice to see your comments - Yes, based on Peter's post(s), we have finished putting down Pergo in Silver Belle. We purchased the standard width, with underpad attached, and it did go together nicely on the floor. We started at a diagonal line running from just in front of the door over to the end of the sofabed and ran it back to a line from the corner of the shower to the furnace at the entrance to the bedroom, with the floor of the toilet are included. We are very pleased with it, and are using Peter's metal strips instead of Pergo transition. There is no question that it improves the ambiance of the galley and "hallway" areas, and we are expecting it to be much easier to maintain than the carpet. Our salesman told us that this new version of Pergo is literally waterproof unless you were to submerge it.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 12:29 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Pergo

We have the Pergo Flooring in our 71 Tradewind, and after a few trips, including the Beach in Baja with lot's of sand on it every day, we are happy to say that it is all but indestructible. It cleans easily and sweeps very well, making it way easy to keep the interior pleasantly clean. Besides, it feels good on my feet.......
Uwe
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to spaceghost65
Quote:
Originally posted by InsideOut
Looks Good!

Shari
Old 01-09-2003, 07:13 PM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
On my list to do

That Pergo floor really looks nice.

I'm currently torn between either something like Pergo or cork tiles for the galley area of my International. I sure wish that I had not had carpet in that area when I had my recent flood. With something like Pergo, I could have quickly removed the flooring and dried things up very quickly.

The flooring change is going to have to wait for completion of the couch change that I intend to complete in early Fenruary after a lot of preparation.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:01 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Looks great! I really like the way it brightens things up but keeps the warm look of natural wood!

We just purchased a 1976 Sovereign, and are thinking of doing the same. My only concern is the additional weight for an AS my size. All of these high-compression laminate products are very heavy.

BTW - I put a snap together Pergo "like" product (Seneca, by Armstrong I think? I can check if anyone's intersted) in our home last year and we Love it! Very good quality, cheap and a breeze to install - just tap it with the block and hammer. Seams are tight - nearly invisible, with no gaps or ridges. But I can still remember struggling with those "little" boxes!!

Has anybody run the numbers for a Sovereign, i.e. Sq. ft. and est. total weight? (I haven't brought our new addition home yet, so I can only guesstimate the dimensions.)

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2003, 11:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Just a thought

Jason,

For what it's worth..You could figure the sq footage of your Sovereign and, then go to your local hardware store..Each bundle is mearsurable in sq footage and, the weight of same..simple.

I agree with all of the above comments..It's has eye appeal~ Plus, the ease of care, makes it a must do for the next improvement project in our unit.

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:35 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
These floors are genericly called "laminate". Pergo is the most well known brand name, but Shaw, Wilsonart, and Armstrong all make similar products, Armstrong probably offering the best - a snap together product (no glueing) with a non-wood backing that is very water resistant. Cheaper versions have a wood backing that will swell when it gets wet.

We had the Shaw product put in our Overlander last fall. We love it! Easy to clean and virtually indestructable. If we were full-timers I would have insisted on the Armstrong.

These laminate floors are a great improvement over carpet!
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 07:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
any thoughts on the underlayment? Did you use the foam under the laminate? What about a thicker foam for us motorhomers to help deaden sound?
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:16 AM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I did this in my unit, too. (pix in photo album). Used the pergo snap-lock stuff. The main reason I chose it over others was that this particular color seems (to me) to go the best w/ the old "brady-bunch" era walnut interior.

Phil in Belflower: you think the Armstrong is the best stuff? they carry it at lowe's, and its significantly cheaper than the "pergo presto" that I used in the trailer. (such a small amount of square-footage, though...$$ didn't matter so much). Now I'm thinking of putting it in the house. the price on the armstrong stuff is about $2/sq.ft; the pergo goes for $3...some lines as much as $4/sq.ft.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 02:27 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
1966 26' Overlander
1965 24' Tradewind
Rapid City , so. dak.
mannington

We have Manninton floors throughout our entire living space and our thoroughly pleased with the investment. Two dogs and two cats can wreak havoc on a carpet in short order. So, like so many of you who have been inspired by experience, we stuck with what worked.

Has anyone used the Mannington wood flooring in their Airstream? Pete and I will be installing our Mannington floor this weekend, as we were lucky enough to find a heated indoor space. If anyone has advice concerning this particular product--bring it on!

carmen
carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:07 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Chuck:

Armstrong "Floors for Life" is the top of the line, with the non-wood backing. It should be the same price as top-of-the-line Pergo, but I'm not sure it is available at Lowes - I've always specified it through high-end floor stores for large apartment projects... (I'm an architect...)

You're right about the small square footage making the $$$ meaningless. The real time and money involved inside a trailer is the cutting, fitting, and trimming all around the funny corners.
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 05:02 PM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I'll check it out....I wonder how their snap-together stuff measures up.

I work for an architectural firm, btw. I'm not an architect myself, (nor do I play one on tv )....I manage the network and e-mail systems. check us out: http://www.arrowstreet.com

don't know if anyone there knows anything about this stuff...I'll have to ask around.

after the trial-by-fire of putting this stuff in my trailer, doing a room with straight/level/square walls (pretty darn close, anyway) will be a piece of cake!
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 06:57 PM   #18
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
"What about a thicker foam for us motorhomers to help deaden sound?" Nooooooo!!!!!!!! Don't do it..
Old 01-17-2003, 12:06 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Katy , Texas
Thumbs up

I installed Pergo in my 1962 22' Safari last spring and don't regret it at all. It looks great. It also eliminated the problem of plywood seams every 4' that show through with tiles or linoleum. I was going to use carpet for ease of installation, looks and insulation properties but decided against it for ease of cleaning and durability. While I was trying to decide between carpet and wood flooring I came across some oak Pergo in Home Depot that was marked down to $25/box. If I remember correctly it is usually about $60/box. I picked up 4 boxes and ended up with a few slats left over. I was concerned with weight also but since it is distibuted evenly across the entire floor I went ahead and did it. For preparation I scraped off the old buckled original tiles and vacuumed the floor well. With Pergo you don't need to worry much about leveling the floor like you do with tiles or linoleum. I then cut all of my pieces to fit. I pulled all of the pieces up and put them back down on top of a high quality siliconized latex caulking. This holds them down and eliminates voids or gaps between the plywood and Pergo. I figure they will have enough flexibility for humidity and they should come up without too much effort should I ever decide to pull the floor up. I like it so far.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 03:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

The most significant thing we have noticed about our new laminate floor is how much dirt we have been tracking in all this time. With carpet it just sort of disappears. Ugh!

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote