Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Great Northwest , Washington
Widthwise - after we get the GLUED wood flooring up

Greetings. We are in the process of taking out the flooring in our 1998 Excella to put in laminate flooring throughout. Most of the flooring was carpet and came up pretty easily. But the kitchen has real hardwood floor slats that is glued down. Right now my husband has a hammer and chizzle. Problem though, part of the sub flooring is coming up with the glue and wood flooring. We will have to fill in the missing chunks to make it flat before we lay the new flooring down. Any tips on getting up the glued wood flooring up? We were thinking of taking a skill saw to it and making smaller squares to get up. But I just cleaned and rehung the curtains.

By the way... we plan on laying our boards widthwise. Seems from the forums that it might be better for the flex issue and the easiness to change out any damages spots latter on if need be. I have before photos, hopefully soon I can post some after ones.
Dana
Old 08-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Great Northwest , Washington
Glued wood flooring

After the front entry came up, the rest was not too tough to pry up. Still lots of spots we will need to fill in. Glued flooring in an AS should be outlawed. :P
Old 08-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
woodland hills , California
over a year on the lengthwise. EITHER WAY IS GREAT. But my only advice is DONT USE CHEAP FLOORING. I went with the good stuff,and never had any probs. allot of driving, water and such NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.
Good luck
jetliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:57 PM   #24
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Two questions:

1. I noticed some used a vapor barrier on their install. I was under the impression that you should not use a vapor barrier on a wood floor to allow it to breath.

2. When you guys put the laminate under the cabinets and gouchos, do you screw them down to the floor, through the laminate? This would ruin the expansion joint.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I went length way and used high quality boards with the backing pre attached. Left it free floating, mounting the trim pieces into the walls. I'm very pleased. Look on ebay for laminate. you may find a enough for a Airstream from someones project leftovers.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I'm going with Prego, and installing lengthwise.

The 'frame flex' issue doesn't bother me, as this type of laminate flooring 'floats', and IMHO any frame flexing would occur in the sub-floor, but because the laminate isn't glued down, won't be affected.

...now if I can just get all those nasty staples from the carpet and pad removed, I can get on with the project!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2008 23' International
Currently Looking...
Cedar Falls , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to hahnstead
Hey, there , Airstream buddies—I just finished installing Pergo-type flooring in my '84 Sovereign. And thanks to this forum thread, I installed it widthwise, which was easier than lengthwise. I layed LivingFlooring, which I purchased at Sam's Club for about $28 for 7 boards 4-foot long by 7 and 1/2 inches wide. I used 5 boxes of the flooring. I will post some pictures when I have nothing else to to. Right now I need to get ready to go camping with my wife who said when I bought the Sovereign that she would not sleep in that until I put new flooring in it.

PFH
Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2008 23' International
Currently Looking...
Cedar Falls , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to hahnstead
This thread convinced my wife and I to lay our new flooring widthwise. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm sure the work was easier than it would have been had I laid it lengthwise. Also, the flexing issue makes a lot of sense to me.
Attached are two pictures of the new floor in our Sovereign. The color is heirloom oak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new floor 1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	63452   Click image for larger version

Name:	new floor 2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	63453  

Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Went Lengthwise in our 28 ft'er...it was a real PITA to cut and fit all those edges! I don't think I got to use more than about 10 full 'boards' out of the 5 boxes!

I used Prego 'Indian Tigerwood'. I never could get the hang of inserting the boards as shown in their instructions...I ended up engaging the tab lengthwise, then carefully tapping the board back into the previous board's groove with one of those plastic tools against the other end of the board...worked much better!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010111 (Medium).JPG
Views:	176
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	63454   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010112 (Medium).JPG
Views:	157
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	63455  

Name:	P1010115 (Medium).JPG