Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Mobile By Way Of Atlanta, By Way Of Denver! , Alabama
Peel & Stick?

Ok... we took our first outing this past weekend, had a blast! CANNOT WAIT FOR MEMORIAL DAY!!! 4 days at the beach... WHOOOOHOOOO!

Came home on Sunday and tore the carpet out Why? Well... just because... but seriously, it wasn't original, it was a drab, stained brown (discovered it's actual starting color was pink!!!), and carpet just isn't the best surface for camping let alone camping in sandy/beachy places, which is where we will be often. Plus we have two pups.

Question: use of peel and stick?

I know, I know... not the best surface to use but money is tight and we just need something to put down so the weekends can be enjoyed this summer
Plywood underneath looks great, how should we go about treating the plywood to ensure a decent life (1-2 years) of the peel and stick little fellas?

Thoughts, please! Thoughts!
Thanks!
Shar
72BamaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We used peel and stick in both our Overlander and Sovereign. the only special preparation was making sure the plywood was clean. We got boxes of peel and stick tiles from Big Lots, they were $.60 each, versus $.99+ each at Home Despot. Selection was not great, but the price was hard to beat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goliath floor.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	79726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bertha Floor.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	79727  

Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We also have done two other trailers (SOB) with peel and stick tiles. Clean plywood is key. The tiles held up through several Minnesota winters, so I would not hesitate to use them again. Carpet and active dogs just do not go well together.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Really? just clean and dry??? that's it? BRILLIANT! Sounds fairly simple...
Thanks Minno (I couldn't remember if you guys said you had tried that or something similar to it) and Overlander! The tip on Big Lots is even better! I am forever telling a coworker of mine to check there for everything but I never thought to look for flooring there... DOUBLE BRILLIANT!

Shar
Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
We are going to use peel & stick too. As Minno said dogs and carpet don't mix. That's why we used them in or whole house. We used Novalis 4"x36" oak wood style pattern about 4 years ago. They have held up extremely well. They only ran $0.98 sq.ft. and look great. I posted the info in another thread @
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...r-41785-8.html

Here's a copy of what I posted:

vinyl plank flooring options
It's called Novalis. We installed it in our house, because we have 3 dogs and needed something easy to clean and durable. Its great stuff, we've had it for about 4-5 years now and just needs Swiffering or when I want to do a good clean I use my Hoover Floormate. We are going to be installing it in our AS soon also. We hate the carpet it has now. We have it in the golden oak color. Here is the companys site to see the options: NOVALIS. Lowes has a few options off the shelf, and the others can be special ordered. The off the shelf planks (4" x 36") run $0.98? each/sq.ft. I believe this is the same stuff that a lot of Wal-mart stores have used in their stores (the 6" planks). It is very durable and looks just like wood at fraction of the price. In the house we used luan as an under-layment (primed), because our sub-floor had particle board over the floor joists, and it wouldn't adhere well the particle board according to the manufacturer info. In the AS we plan on just sanding the seams on our plywood subfloor, fill the bolt holes, then prime the plywood for good adhesion. I'll have to update after we complete the project within the next few weeks. Here's a pic of the house floor. The 1st one is the best image for the color, the second one shows the full hallway view.

Hope this helps.

Mary
Attached Thumbnails
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The key to keeping a peel n stick floor in place is properly prepping the sub floor.

- fill any bolt head holes or gouges in the plywood with Durham Rock Hard filler or those flaws will eventually show thru the flooring

- vacuum the floor and apply two coats of Jasco Primer Sealer - looks like milk - applies easily and dries quickly. It serves a similar purpose as sizing for wall paper - just slosh it on there and spread it out....

- get 2 quarts of Armstrong vinyl floor adhesive and some 3" chip brushes. Cut half the bristles off the brushes to stiffen them. Apply the adhesive in an area that you can reach and follow the instructions for allowing it to set (nothing fancy - just slop it on there in a random pattern)

- place the tiles (paying attention to the arrows on the paper and butting the edges as tight as you can) then use a cheap hand held roller to set your tiles - start walking on the flooring as soon as you can

All the supplies except the Durham are in the vinyl aisle at Lowe's/HD.

Without prepping flooring first, as the tile heats up it's own adhesive will leach off and into the raw plywood over time causing it to fail.

Enjoy.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I used the peel and stick as a temporary thing until we can afford to do cork or bamboo-I don't think I would use the adhesive suggested above if you are thinking less than two years. Just my opion. I also have a few exrea for repairs. I bought mine really cheap at Roses-similar tio Big Lots-not too many left. I also just painted the living area floor. I didn't even bother getting to crazy about sanding or anything-just clean as possible. I use Kilz first then my regular wall paint and coated if with acrylic. Most of the visible area is covered with a linloeum floor mat that I painted. Everyone seems to like it. I agree carpet and camping -yuck. I just sweep and if need be damp mop. We will put new luan down when we can do the new floor. My son-in-law is a contractor and is "saving" leftovers so hopefully we will get a break on the floor when he has emnough.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
We used the Durham Water putty to patch, then sanded uneven spots in floor. Next we will be priming to prepare for layment of peel & stick. The Novalis tile has a really strong adhesive on it. We won't be using extra to stick down. I will post pics when finished.

Happy Trailering!

Mary
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Got a plan now...

Great information everybody, thank you... I think the filling, sanding, priming then sticking will be the route we go...

of course we're having super duper humid days right now... great timing, GREAT TIMING! But... we do what we gotta do, right?

I didn't take many before pictures (when the mood hits to get something done, don't ignore it! embrace it) but I will definitely post some "after" pics... wish us luck!

Shar
Old 05-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
You will be fine but Good Luck anyway!