Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2002, 01:36 PM   #1
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Partial Floor change

When we get our MH out of the shop, we are considering removing the carpet at a point just in front of the door over to the end of the sofa, and installing Pergo all the way back to a line as you enter the bedroom just in front of furnace. We feel that the Pergo will be a good utility floor, and we can eliminate any disadvantages of the carpet. This would leave carpetting in the Front Room area of the coach, and the bedroom, while providing good utility flooring for traffic. Any comments or cautions anyone can make which would be helpful to us????
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:57 PM   #2
Finally Retired

, Washington
Flooring

We did that but with vinyl sure make a differance in cleaning it is unbeleivable. Now we are kicking around the same idea only going through to the front and just having carpet from the bath to the back. We have the model that has two couches in the back so we put 4 inch foam on it and now have a bigger that king bed. We have to use tee shirt sheets as they will fit better. We have some of the wood left when we did our house so we are going to just lay it down to see the effect. Seems like it would be quieter also as I believe that it is 6 ply. I will lay it out and send a pict to see.

Dave and Louise
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 02:27 PM   #3
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Question

What are tee shirt sheets???? Anxious to see pictures of what
you are proposing.
Old 05-27-2002, 03:16 PM   #4
Finally Retired

, Washington
Tee shirt sheets

They are shhets made from jersey fabric and are very soft and comfortable. We buy the high quality and they do not get little bumps on then they are great and also stretch.
I will take some pictures of the whole inside and post.
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 04:05 AM   #5
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
OK - Fine, we now know what T-Shirt Sheets are - will be anxious to see the pictures. RE Floor - after looking at all the Posts and Andy's comments. we did the Home Depot Fantastic and decided on their Pergo - it really looks like what we want.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
one comment on Pergo or other laminate flooring-
it has been a wonderful addition in my house, have had it about 5 years now. Cleaned only with a white vinegar and water solution and it looks new. Just don't use much water on it as it will buckle if you do. We clean with small amounts of the liquid and use a swiffer type cloth to clean before ( dust it).
Dr Joe - I expect you have seen Peter's posts on this, as he floated some bondo type material to flatten the floor before applying the laminate over it. He had sone rivets or something sticking up there.
I intend to do my kitchen and possibly more as well.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 05:23 PM   #7
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Yes Alan, we read very carefully Peter and Igor and others regarding floor treatments and decided on Pergo after Andy made his comments. Appreciate your info on how you cared for the material - that is very helpful.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:47 PM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Dr Joe,
When I installed my pergo floor, I made duplicate pieces for the area by the door and did not glue the first 2 pieces to the rest of the floor. If they ever get rained on and destroyed, I can easily replace them.
I also was not happy with readily available pergo transition pieces for carpet. They had a high profile, making it easy to trip over. I used these aluminum strips instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorcarpet.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	220  
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 07:35 PM   #9
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Peter, I was a bit worried about the termination strips also, and I really like the aluminum strips you used. Where did you get them? are they a Pergo alternative?? You are right - the low profile is very important around the doorway to the coach,
Thanks again,
Old 05-31-2002, 08:25 PM   #10
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Dr Joe,
this picture will help you to identify the aluminum strip at your local hardware/lumber company.
Also note that the carpet is under the strip, whereas with the pergo transition strips, your carpet has to run up to the strip.
In my case the carpet tack strip (with the mean pointed nails) is actually located under the strip and the carpet padding stops right at the strip, allowing for level installation and hiding the mean nails.
There is a slight bevel in the aluminum strip, just enough to make a perfect transition between pergo and carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pergo-carpettext.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	221  
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:04 PM   #11
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Thanks Peter - the picture and text are a tremendous help. That is going to be a perfect solution to the portion at the doorway.
We thought we would get Belle out of the shop today and could think about the floor, the transmission installation went great, but on test drive, he did not like the way the engine was running even after going over it completely, and also doesn't want to turn it back to me with the steering as loose as it is, so I guess it will be in the shop for another week.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:12 PM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Winner,

What was the problem with the steering and how did your mechanic fix it? Mine is not bad but I am curious as to the problem and remedy.

Thanks
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 06:08 AM   #13
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
My mechanic reviewed the repair receipt of an alignment job done on the coach just prior to our purchase, he eliminated the chance that the problem was with tires or alignment, SO, after test driving it, he examined every aspect of the front end and sterring linkage. He found serious wear in the steering linkage support system - the LEFT IDLER ARM ASSEMBLY had to be replaced in its entirety. Cost -- labor and parts (which incidentally are readily available from Chevrolet) ran $188.00.
However, this did the trick - the vehicle is now very stable and steering is flawless.