Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Metal divider strip between carpet and linoleum in late model trailers?

OK, I did a search for the answer to these questions, but couldn't find anything.

So, my questions are, in a late model Airstream Classic, does the linoleum cover the entire trailer floor under the carpet? In other words, if you pull the carpet up, is there linoleum under there?

Also, there is an aluminum threshold type strip at the edge of the carpet at the transition from linoleum to carpet, and how is it held down? If it has tabs, or screws, how big are the holes left in the linoleum?

If the linoleum covers the entire floor, I am considering removing the carpet, and then filling the holes with similar colored wood putty.

Anyone have any experience, or ideas on this subject? Thanks in advance for any information you may have.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think vinyl ends just under the carpet edge. At least I don't ever recall seeing any flooring when lifting carpet edges for electrical routing work.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I second the motion that the vinyl only extends a short distance under the carpet. The nail holes from the metal strip ruin that part of the vinyl. When I re-carpeted the front part of my trailer, I used straight wood trim instead of metal and moved the transition back slightly to avoid exposing the nail holes.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Steve
My '02 Classic may not be "late model" enough for a comparison to your '08. I just took out the bedroom carpet to replace with a wood laminate floor. The carpet pad was the only thing between the carpet and the wooden floor. There was the metal threshold transition strip at the doorway. Mine was nailed with small box(?) nails. They pulled out easily. The biggest difference I can tell is that I have no linoleum in my trailer anywhere. The bathroom in my trailer has a "tile looking" tongue and groove interlocking laminate type floor.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
My 2007 Safari has that arrangement and the linoleum extends 24 inches under the carpet and ends (ended) in a ragged edge. The aluminum threshold has wood screws holding it to the sub floor.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Thanks everyone for your input. Although it's not what I wanted it to be, it's good to know BEFORE I tear into something I can't back out of.