Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Raleigh , North Carolina
Infinity Floor - Snap Down Mats?

Installed a floating interlock vinyl floor years ago and time and temperature changes showed why a residential product does not last in an Airstream. We've enjoyed the quick broom clean and all the benefits of vinyl, however I have the opportunity to update the flooring and I am considering Infinity Woven Vinyl and have read all the great feedback. What I haven't seen in an Airstream is someone installing like others do in the boating industry, using snaps. Seems like it makes sense to me, rather than wall to wall flooring, have the abilitiy to remove the "mats" when and if the need to be. Thanks for the feedback...
BoCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Personally, I like the idea! We pulled all flooring in our '34 Limited a few years back and installed a single piece of LWV end to end. One thing I really tossed over was how to "attach" it to the new subfloor ( plywood) The thought of using glue scared me after having to scrape the OEM floor covering off prior to the new subfloor. In the end, we literally laid the new LWV in place & put the trim pieces back in place..... ( Granted, it's a VERY exacting fit)
Over the last year & a half it has "shifted" a bit when we travel, or depending on foot traffic. It's easy to put back in line when needed.
I like the idea of those stainless button fasteners, especially if they could be strategically placed. My only concern would be if the material would hold up to the attachment of the button & whether the stress of unsnapping would hold.
I have a small roll of leftover flooring in the shed, I might just do some testing & see!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Raleigh , North Carolina
Seems Simple Enough?

Nice! Would love to hear how the test goes.

Around the 8 min mark of this youtube video shows how they are doing it.

I'm going to order some samples and find a color that works with the new interior updates and reach out to IWV to see about pricing. Their website says they have a mat template kit and they'll make them for me. I'm going to reach out to them on their online chat and see how that process goes. I'll keep you posted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E1xs_Details_287_2048x2048.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	325926
BoCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:21 AM   #4
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
I am getting ready to make snap down flooring for my boat and immediately after do my 31' airstream. I already made the mesh snap on window covers for the boat. In our area the cost to have these made is very high. Since I have multiple projects I decided to jump in abd buy a sailrite machine and all the required materials and accessories. Certainly not cheap but will save a lot of money and give me options to do many other projects with canvas. I might decide to take on some outside projects if i feel my work is great quality. One caveat is that all of the various foam backed vinyl floor covering brands are expensive. Typically 60"-96" wide and between $160-$260 per linear foot.
I think the advantage of a very durable and waterproof floor covering that can be easily removed or changed is worth the cost.

A post questioned the durability to hold the snap. With proper fabrication that is not a concern.