Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
grass valley , California
How to remove vct

I need to remove the 1/8th inch vct that is glued down on top of the original tile floor in my 1961 bambi. I know the original tile had some asbestos. Any ideas on removing the vct so I can install a floating floor above it? The vct is glued down and not coming up very easily.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
heat gun and a wide putty knife. As long as you do not cut them and make dust the asbestos is not friable. If they snap, no big deal. Wear a dust mask, wash your clothes, and shower afterwards. The amount of asbestos in your tiles is very low.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:04 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
heat gun and a wide putty knife. As long as you do not cut them and make dust the asbestos is not friable. If they snap, no big deal. Wear a dust mask, wash your clothes, and shower afterwards. The amount of asbestos in your tiles is very low.
Not quite true. If they snap, some asbestos fibers do come loose.

Handy trick, taught to me by a contractor who worked for us removing asbestos floor tiles from a building constructed in 1919… Get some Gilette Foamy shave cream. Coat each tile with shave cream before trying to pry it up. The shave cream will trap any fibers that do come loose. Don't bother trying to remove the shave cream afterwards, just put the foamed-up tiles directly into a disposal bag.

Then, a regulatory requirement: Non-friable asbestos such as floor tiles can be disposed of in a common landfill, you don't need to go to the expense of taking it to a controlled landfill. BUT the floor tiles need to be double-bagged first. Wrap them in a heavy-duty plastic bag, and tape it securely. Then wrap that in another plastic bag, and tape that securely, too. Then you're ready to dispose of it in any dumpster.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
What Frank said.. Get a $10. Harbor freight heat gun and a putty knife. I have taken it to the extreme of welding a hoe blade to an air chisel. No matter how you do it it will be slow and time consuming.
Being old enough to remember asbestos everywhere and cutting it with a circular saw I wouldn't panic about that little bit. Just use common sense.
Of course we used to roll globs of mercury around also and lived to tell about it

Not sure what you are planning for a replacement but I can pretty well garantee that self stick tile doesn't..
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I used one of these along with a heat gun. Had to sharpen the blade frequently.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
grass valley , California
Thanks everyone! Sounds like it will be just as fun as I thought it would be! I have a multi tool and maybe that would work.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
The multi tool and heatworks very well, forgot about that as it has been a whie.

While you are going through the grief I would remove the tile as well as anything on top of it
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote