RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
roosevelt , Utah
Lightbulb Has anyone used vinyl click plank flooring?

I have a 74 AS Excel 500 that we are remodeling, trying to find a good flooring system that goes well with travel, dogs and heavy use as we will be full timers. Ive found some I like a lot, just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with it and your thoughts it, please.

PS; Im a newbie to this forum too!

BTW here's a link to the product I'm wondering about .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Highland-Pine-7-5-in-x-47-6-in-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-24-74-sq-ft-case-41994/300253318?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA-AllProducts%7C&gclid=CjwKCAiA8vPUBRAyEiwA8F1oDCS1o tPqWx1OwcqxVX9SRrIlj548eyoyQ1lyUfiF0mlDjyQ6u6-faxoCRiwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNPUqaTN1dkCFZ LYwAodKlwFsw

THANKS
trishnaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
I believe many who have installed similar products have issues the cracks between each piece. The weather extremes cause to much contraction and expansion leading to gaps. Others may chime in who have experience good or bad. I researched for awhile and choose solid sheet flooring.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Kent , Washington
I have, floating with plenty of area to expand around the perimeter that will be hidden with edge molding in the visible areas. I'm setting all cabinets etc. on top and haven't had any issues through a year of temp swings so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	305684  
tonydead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
Site Team

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugjenkins View Post
I believe many who have installed similar products have issues the cracks between each piece. The weather extremes cause to much contraction and expansion leading to gaps. Others may chime in who have experience good or bad. I researched for awhile and choose solid sheet flooring.
Agreed. Have not done this yet ourselves, but everyone we know who has replaced their flooring has emphasized the critical importance of choosing a product with the absolute minimum of expansion / contraction due to temperature. Those who don't do this research before buying inevitably find themselves replacing the replacement because of this issue. Not sure what the best material is (others may have better info), but whatever you pick must meet this bar unless you want to do it again in a year or two when you get sick of the cracks and/or buckling.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
roosevelt , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydead View Post
I have, floating with plenty of area to expand around the perimeter that will be hidden with edge molding in the visible areas. I'm setting all cabinets etc. on top and haven't had any issues through a year of temp swings so far.
Hi-- what kind of floating did you use? what brand, style?
How long has that been? anything you would've done differently?

We aren't removing our cabinets, beds, etc. don't have time. Husband has a job coming up starting April 30th in Grand Tetons.... He has to finish school between now and then so time will be limited and there are other projects that we need to do on the camper as well. So planned to just "butt-up" planking to cabinets,etc. Any thoughts? Anyone else have any thoughts here?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Warrensburg , Illinois
Vinyl plank flooring

Five years ago we used it on a 79 Nomad and were pleased. It it relatively easy to install and take care of. We wires pleased that we plan to use it on a '52 Airstream Cruiserthatwe just starting to rehab.

Bob and Judy
401k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
I put some in a 65 Shasta renovation project a few years ago. I had a few seams that opened up every night when it got cold. I think I may have deformed the connection channel when putting it in and no matter how many times I removed and reinstalled the planks affected the joint would be open the next morning. We decided to live with it and loved the look and feel of the floors.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
astrocaver

1986 25' Sovereign
Denver , Colorado
flooring

We used the Costco brand Harmonics plank flooring a couple years ago in our 86' Soverign and have been very pleased. It was a challenge to fit it around everything. Be sure to leave expansion room around the edges as specified.
astrocaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #9

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Shaw Floorte, heavy duty compared to store brands with a solid click system. Minimal expansion all vinyl.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Crestview , Florida
We installed a similar product (bought at Lowes) in the summer of 2016 in our 30' Classic. So far we are very pleased after well over 1 1/2 years of full time living with the floor. I removed couch, bed, toilet, and dinette so the floor is "attached" at several points, not floating. I did leave the kitchen and bathroom cabinets and shower in place and used molding around them.

The only "issue" so far is a minor gap in the end joint in one place. This may actually have been "operator error" as the end joints were more difficult to snap together than the sides.

I would not be afraid to use this product again.

Everyone who has seen the flooring is impressed.
Paul & Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
I recently installed it in a house and the instructions required a 3 day acclimation period to adjust the product to the house temperature and humidity. I'm thinking it would be a gamble installing in an RV.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Here is what we found:

Try and get a fibreglass substrate (backer) to basically eliminate expansion and contraction.
I would also NOT recommend click together, as A) it can be a pain to click together in tight spaces; B) it really needs a strong well supported sub-floor, or it will creak and groan; C) difficult to repair or replace one plank.

I would look at this product below, or something similar.

http://xlflooring.ca/products/flexiplank/

1) Glue down around perimeter with an X in the middle of the floor. It will bend easily over imperfections or subfloor deviations. Also very easy to replace planks, (heat damaged plank with a hot air gun, pull up plank and replace with new one). Excellent wear rating; soft on feet and easy to cut and install.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishnaaron View Post
Hi-- So planned to just "butt-up" planking to cabinets,etc. Any thoughts? Anyone else have any thoughts here?

Think about that carefully. If you are choosing a floating floor, the whole point is they are designed to expand and contract with temperature. If you butt it up to the edges it wonít be able to expand and will look horrible when it gets hot.

Iíve installed click vinyl plank in a cottage and it hasnít opened a single gap. Yet. But I near killed my hands laying and relaying planks until they click perfectly. My neighbourís installer wasnít as careful and his exact same product has gaps everywhere.

In an RV, I would lay solid sheet flooring without a second doubt. I think plank flooring would be a recipe for all kinds of headache.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
Iron tepee #35

1993 34' Excella
andalusia , Illinois
Angry Vinyl click-lock

I am very happy with the new generation of vinyl plank flooring. Make sure you get the kind with the hard PVC backing. My experience with the earlier products was very frustrating. The end joints in several spots came un-latched. I took it apart, reinstalled...and, the same results.
I give Five stars to the new stuff!
mikeoxlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:30 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
roosevelt , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandeddie View Post
Think about that carefully. If you are choosing a floating floor, the whole point is they are designed to expand and contract with temperature. If you butt it up to the edges it wonít be able to expand and will look horrible when it gets hot.

Iíve installed click vinyl plank in a cottage and it hasnít opened a single gap. Yet. But I near killed my hands laying and relaying planks until they click perfectly. My neighbourís installer wasnít as careful and his exact same product has gaps everywhere.

In an RV, I would lay solid sheet flooring without a second doubt. I think plank flooring would be a recipe for all kinds of headache.
Planning to do a Quarter Round around the edge of trailer in front area, then trying to work out the details on the FLOAT, since the carpet we pulled out, there is a pretty big gap under everything, so want to eventually do entire floor but afraid I will have TOO much room for expansion if I don't put some sort of tack strip down then a piece of quarter round onto it to cover the expansion area. If that makes sense. So not really butting it up per-say to the tack strip, but covering the expansion with quarter round, and hopefully not have bunch of separations. Wanted to go Pergo Max, but we have a 6 moth old puppy, and not sure how long it will take him to Transition to Full Time, pretty quick, but... still a dog.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Sounds like you have a great plan. Your allowing for expansion and contraction. Put the product in the camper until you put down. It will help the floor acclimate to the environment. Post some pics. I would love to see it installed
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
roosevelt , Utah
update on flooring

We have decided to wait til a little later this year when we can pull everything out and go wall to wall. Of course we will leave expansion gaps and use cove base-- I like it better than quarter round and it covers just a tiny bit more space than the quarter rounds. Its like reverse quarter round.

We have most stuff out-- but have only 3.5 weeks--three and a half weeks-- to get all the water lines re-run, get a new tub and surround put back in, our composting toilet installed, finish CLEANING at least 15 years worth of non-use grime off the walls, ceiling and fixtures.... Before we HAVE to be on the road from Eastern Utah to California for my Husband's job in Yosemite NP, May 1st....

Thank goodness we had a professional install a new AC/Heat unit, run new propane lines, and seal most of the leaky windows!

Want to thank everyone for all your input-- Keep some fingers crossed that we finish up the basics before they call him and say "How soon can you be here?" LOL

Brightest Blessings to you All.
Soon shall the "Silver Wolf" howl down the road....

Sincerely--Trish
Old 03-28-2018, 12:33 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
roosevelt , Utah

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...NkdVRQS091a29N

Kitchen Repairs completed today. New Faucet, and sprayer. Hot Cold Pex ran to tub area. Drains installed, and All old copper/head duck gone.

Off topic from Floors, but progress!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #19

1977 Argosy 22
Palmdale , California
Tonydead,
Thanks for your post. I’m new to AS and this forum. I’m in the process of a shell-on Reno and I bought vinyl locking planks for flooring. I’m torn whether I should lay it all first then stack cabinets back on top (I know...it won’t be “floating” as much), or build the cabinets and lay the planks around them. Have you had any issues to date with buckling? Thanks again

Mike
Team Filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #20
Iron tepee #35

1993 34' Excella
andalusia , Illinois
I installed the new generation of vinyl click-lock (the kind with a hard PVC backing) in my 32’excella. Reinstalled cabinets on top and have had no problems with gaps ore expansion. I love this product!
mikeoxlong is offline   Reply With Quote