Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Has anyone matched factory flooring in 1998?

My 1998 34' ltd has hardwood in the kitchen and carpet everywhere else. (see my profile pic for example)

I want to change the carpet to either laminate or allure trafficmaster, but I'd like to match as closely as possible the colour of the kitchen floor. Does anyone have any recommendations? Do you think it will look weird together if I do the allure?
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Bumpity bump! just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and do you like the result?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have a 2001 34' and have a similar situation. I am thinking about a darker piece of wood where the carpet meets the oak this would be run from side to side then pick up from there with the other flooring material. Right now I am leaning towards cork. Let me know how your project goes.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
My wife and i went to Lowe's and bought the cheapest laminate flooring they had and it match the cabinets pretty good.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:58 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
would love to see pics if anyone has any! Did you replace carpet in the bathroom osolow? What do you do with that spot behind the toilet where the carpet goes up the wall a few inches? Tarheel I love the look of the cork but I wonder how it would stand up to dog and kid? Here is what I have now:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	75387  
Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Honestly, for the price of the materials (Allure is very inexpensive), I'd just take up the wood in the kitchen as well and then lay new flooring for the full length in the colour that you like. For the record, cork stands up better than most natural floors (even when kids and dogs are factored into the equation). If you do select hardwood (either solid or engineered) it is important to recognize that it will scratch. I always recommend to my clients that if they want a dark floor, start with a dark wood, like walnut because when the finish is scratched, it won't jump out at you like a light wood that's been stained dark.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
That is interesting about the cork, thanks cameront120. I will read up more on it.

I was planning on paying someone to do it (due to a combination of no time and fear of doing it myself). My guy said removing the hardwood will cost more so I was planning on keeping it. Now I am not sure, on the one hand I love the look of all one type of flooring, but on the other hand I can live with different floors to save some money I guess! The latter consideration ($$) will probably win out!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Another consideration is that your existing hardwood will be considerably thicker than the Allure or cork. This will leave you with a tripping hazard, unless you can provide a reducer strip of some sort. The allure is dead easy to install. It's a floating floor with self-adhesive strips, just cut and lay it down. Is the existing floor glued down, or just stapled? Removal should be relatively simple, either way.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
cameront I remember from your other posts that you are an architect? I sit at a computer and mangle data all day (I am a statistician and my better half is a programmer). Home reno's that we undertake usually need to be repaired afterwards by a professional. I am good at painting though. Do you think I can do this myself? I would be willing to give it a try but I am afraid of the bathroom - don't I have to remove the toilet to do this?

But... maybe I can save some money by pulling almost everything out and then letting a pro finish it (and fix any bad floor spots that show up). Thanks for bringing up the trip hazard, I think I will remove the kitchen floor and replace it all. Going to search out the cork options now!

If I get this done it will be in April so I'l post pics then!
Redstart
Old 02-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
p.s. i meant no offence to my fellow geeks out there who ARE handy! Are you out there?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I'm a total Geek and am willing try to do things myself. If I get stumped, I just ask the good folks here and post pictures to illustrate my problem. So far I have blown anything up. I'm not very mechanical though and electrical things mystify me.