Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2002, 03:19 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Grades of vinyl...

I was wondering what any of you all know about the diffrent grades of vinyl?

I plan on covering the entire floor of my trailer with brand new vinyl. Once the cabinets are back in, I will install Pergo in the walk ways. It will float on top of the fresh vinyl. So the vinyl will actually not get any wear from foot traffic.

I have priced vinyl at Home Depot & Lowes. Prices range from $6.50/Sq. Yard - $16.00/Sq. Yard. I am looking for a very subtle white pattern that is available in most of the different grades. I would like the floors to stay nice for quite a while so the next owners will not have to think about them. Is the cheaper stuff ok, since it will only be under the cabinets anyway?

Thanks,

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 05:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

vinyls

Hi Andy

The main difference between a cheap and expensive vinyl is the durability of the wear layer and / or the construction.

High end vinyls usually are "inlaid" construction with the pattern made up of vinyl chips of different colors fused together creating a pattern that is backed with paper or PVC. These products tend to be stiff to work with and only available in 6 foot width.

Lower end vinyls are usually rotogravure construction which is a printed pattern covered with a vinyl wear layer of varying thickness depending on quality. These also have a backing and are often available in 6 foot or 12 foot width.

Since traffic is not an issue for you the cheap vinyl should be fine and easy to work with. In essence your vinyl will be acting as a vapor barrier.
VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 11:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Since I have some rental properties, vinyl and wear problems is something I know more about than I would like.

It is likely your biggest problem will not be wear, as such, but rather damage from cuts. Even the thickest vinyls cut much more easily than I would like. Of course, you probably are not going to have a tenant with a kitchen chair missing the bottom glide on one leg.

BUT!!!! My flooring contacts tell me there is a new kevlar impregnated sheet flooring that is guaranteed not to cut. One of them put down a large section in his highest traffic area and it does seem to be doing amazingly well. I do not have the brand name(s) available, but could get it if it is important. Lots of patterns, very high price for vinyl, but then you do not need much even for a 34' coach.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote