Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
TMT
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Jacksonville , Florida
Flooring in Argosy

I just ‘rescued’ a really nice ’77 Argosy Minuet, 20 ft., that had been sitting in the woods for the past 4 years. Well, rescued at a very low price.

But it is in good overall condition. I was surprised to find an aluminum floor under the carpet. Is that normal flooring for Argosy?

I want to put in wood flooring. Is it possible? Floating floor?
Or would you stick with carpet over the aluminum floor?
I'd love to hear advice.

Also, how would you ever know if there were soft spots in the floor since all you can see is the aluminum? It doesn't feel spongy anywhere, but you can't see.

Thanks in advance.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Yep, sounds like you got a rare trailer there. They were only made for a short time back in the '70's. That floor will still be there on Dooms' Day. One of Airstream's better ideas, IMO. Wish I had it in mine. Wish they had put them in all future trailers.

If you want a wooden floor, maybe try the floating type over the aluminum (the same type you would use inside your house).

Let us know how it turns out and show us some picture.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I have a 78 minuet 6.0 with the same floor. I put a floating snap together laminate in mine. TIP: the aluminum floor is actually foam sandwiched between a top and bottom aluminum sheet with cross members about every 4 feet, measuring from front to back. I laid the floor and noticed these are high spots when i walked over them. So I took it out, used the thin foam underlayment for the floating floor....cutting out a 2 inch wide strip, where the cross members are, then reinstalled it. It is much less noticeable.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT View Post
I just ‘rescued’ a really nice ’77 Argosy Minuet, 20 ft., that had been sitting in the woods for the past 4 years. Well, rescued at a very low price.

But it is in good overall condition. I was surprised to find an aluminum floor under the carpet. Is that normal flooring for Argosy?

I'd love to hear advice.

Also, how would you ever know if there were soft spots in the floor since all you can see is the aluminum? It doesn't feel spongy anywhere, but you can't see.

Thanks in advance.
To answer your other questions, the minuets were made in 77, 78, and 79. The 6.0 the 6.7 and the 7.3. I believe that most if not all of the 6.0's had the aluminum floors. Some of the 6.7's and few of the 7.3's. I believe that all other Argosy's had wood floors. But I'm sure someo
Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
TMT
2 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I have a 78 minuet 6.0 with the same floor. I put a floating snap together laminate in mine. TIP: the aluminum floor is actually foam sandwiched between a top and bottom aluminum sheet with cross members about every 4 feet, measuring from front to back. I laid the floor and noticed these are high spots when i walked over them. So I took it out, used the thin foam underlayment for the floating floor....cutting out a 2 inch wide strip, where the cross members are, then reinstalled it. It is much less noticeable.
I have found the same high and low spots. I was concerned the low spots were "bad" spots. But now I believe they are normal, and the high spots are the cross members.
Whew! Good to know.
I love the layout of this baby. Feels very comfortable.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
TMT
2 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Yep, sounds like you got a rare trailer there. They were only made for a short time back in the '70's. That floor will still be there on Dooms' Day. One of Airstream's better ideas, IMO. Wish I had it in mine. Wish they had put them in all future trailers.

If you want a wooden floor, maybe try the floating type over the aluminum (the same type you would use inside your house).

Let us know how it turns out and show us some picture.

Jim
Thanks for your comments. This is a sweet little unit.
I have a '66 Overlander that I put wood floors in. So I was very surprised when I found the aluminum floors. Sounds workable.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Flooring in Argosy

Greetings TMT!

Quote:

Yes, composite aluminum floors were part of most 1977 through 1979 6.0 Metre Minuets. They weren't in every 6.0 Metre Minute, but most did come equipped with the composite aluminum subfloors . . . . part of the reason that carpet was the standard finish floor covering.

Quote:
I'd love to hear advice.
It has been several years since Fowler RV Interiors in Symsonia, KY restored the interior of my Minuet. At that time, we selected Armstrong Laminate floors (the variety with attached underlayment fabric) along with Armstrong's Quiet Step Underlayment . . . the "double" underlayment helped to cushion the rivet joints so they didn't produce problems with the overall quality of the installation. It has been more than six years, and the installation still looks like new, and I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Armstrong Laminate with Quiet Step Underlayment again.

Quote:
Also, how would you ever know if there were soft spots in the floor since all you can see is the aluminum? It doesn't feel spongy anywhere, but you can't see..
It is quite unusual for the aluminum composite to fail unless it has seen very harsh treatment. Generally, the problem encountered is some "sway" between the the frame cross members . . . in coaches where this has been a problem, members have often opened up the bellypan and added additional cross member reinforcements. My Minuet had some sway between the crossmembers, but it wasn't serious enough to require surgery to repair . . . the additional Quiet Step Underlayment helped to bridge the sway, and it has not been a problem in the six plus years since the restoration was completed.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #8
TMT
2 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
It's good to hear the positives about these floors.
I appreciate all the responses and I'm more excited every time I read a reply to know I just got a special Argosy. I'll post some pictures later today. I think it's in great shape. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
TMT
2 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Argosy Minuet

Photos as promised. I think it looks great for sitting in the woods for the past 4 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00O0O_3qAuU5IfRdD_600x450.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	204038   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03866.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	204039  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03869.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	204040   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03876.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	204041  

Life Is A Journey - Enjoy the Ride!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Mel, I love the Argys. Gotta get one. We saw a beauty this past fall at a rally that had been fully restored and repainted. Susan will kill me if I drag another one home tho.

That counter top is just like the one in our '73 Overlander (long since removed).. We didn't like the color.

Now that you have it home and on a hard surface, crawl around underneath and look at the frame around the axle. That first picture looks like maybe the sheet aluminum is bowed out a bit above the axle on the curb side. Maybe just an artifact of the photo, may be nothing to worry about at all. Could be a problem with the frame in that area.....or could be nothing at all. Not trying to worry you unnecessarily, just something to check on.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I am in the midst of restoring a 6.7. You have a great little trailer. I would check your axle out. Mine was sitting about the same way and was in need of a new axle which I recently picked up from Andy at Inland. A modern axle is a must in my opinion if you will be using it.

Greg
apltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Nice unit you have there. I am interested in putting wood laminate in our '77 Argosy 24' too. It has been put away for the winter, so I won't bring it out until May. Keep us abreast on your "project".
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
TMT
2 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Will certainly include pictures when we start.
Believe it or not, we native Floridians have been cold lately, (go ahead and laugh)
and not accomplishing much! Piddling at other jobs.
But will get to flooring soon! Thanks.

Life Is A Journey - Enjoy the Ride!