Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2004, 09:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Flooring Ideas

We will be replacing the brown indoor/outdoor carpet that was put in our 77 Excella years ago by the previous owners. I would love some suggestons and feedback, maybe some pictures on what others have used for flooring. I have read that some have put in wood flooring. Isn't that a bit heavy? I liked the laminate flooring idea, but we will always be spending our Airstream time near water and am afraid of water getting under and damaging a laminate floor. So what are the thoughts out there?
75Airstream500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up Laminate flooring

Hello.. We are getting ready to put laminate flooring in our Argosy.. have ordered it and it will be here near the end of the month. It has a green coating to the backing and it clicks together... slate colour.. not cheap .. will be great to work with.. will post pics when we have it installed.. Annie and Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Clear coat and Marine paint in your choice of bright color . Loves water and easy to clean. Don't forget to clorox the floor after you take the carpet up.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Clear coat and Marine paint in your choice of bright color . Loves water and easy to clean. Don't forget to clorox the floor after you take the carpet up.
Why do you clorox the floor after removing the carpet???

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG
Why do you clorox the floor after removing the carpet???
Kills mold which leads to floor rot ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
That is something I hadn't thought about. A nice slick, glossy, painted surface. And since we are painters by trade, I am intrigued.

Should we use a garden sprayer to mist on the clorox? Hey, this could only help with our cigarette smelly problem too.

Now, I read in another topic that plastic that is put down on the floors to protect the carpet of new airstreams needed to be removed so the floor could breath and would help prevent rotting. If I paint with a clearcoat, seems the floor won't be able to breath. Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-22-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
My $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Airstream500
That is something I hadn't thought about. A nice slick, glossy, painted surface. And since we are painters by trade, I am intrigued.
I don't think painted plywood is going to look that great.

most brands of laminate flooring are resistant to water spills. not water proof, but very resistant. it can be installed in kitchens and bathrooms in houses; unless you tend to dump buckets of water on the floor and then just leave it there, it won't be a problem.

Laminate is heavy, but so is carpet. I think I may have added about 30 or 40 lbs to my trailer by replacing the carpet w/ pergo. there's not alot of square footage of floor space in there...even on the "big" trailers.

look at my photo gallery for some pics, and do a search for "pergo" and you'll find numerous discussions on the subject.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Sealing the floor when new might block some out the outasing of bothe the new carpet and new partical board floor. After that I don't see an issue. If its sealed the moisture will not get in it in the first place. Make sure to pick a time when the floor has completly dried and humidity is low so it has as little moisture in it as possible.

We just replaced the floors in our coach and we used and epoxy wood sealer like that used on wood boats. We did it before the wood was even installed. Where we cut it down to the correct width we then redressed to keep it sealed.

We used a pretty good quality of wood and once it was sealed it had a very nice honey color to it. It was almost a shame to cover it up but with all the elevator bolts it looked a little odd. Once bolted down we did a final top coat to try to seal around the bolts. Then we installed a solid sheet vinyl flooring before the body was set back on the floor. That made sure all the storage areas have nice clean floors as well.

Our attempt was to prevent water from ever getting a chance to make direct contact with the floor ever again. In a camper its not a question if it will leak as much as a question of when it will leak. So we took extensive preventative measures.

In a couple years we may do a thin laminate pre finished floor in just the visable areas. Most coaches will only take 2 boxes at most to do the visable areas. If using the thin floor it's only about 70-80lb of total weight at most and it is spread evenly through the coach.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:59 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Flooring Ideas

Greetings 75Airstream500!

Quote:
Isn't that a bit heavy? I liked the laminate flooring idea, but we will always be spending our Airstream time near water and am afraid of water getting under and damaging a laminate floor. So what are the thoughts out there?
I had ruled out laminate flooring for my coach for many of the reasons that you mention. When it came to new flooring for my Minuet, my usual first choice (Congoleum Industrial Grade Sheet Vinyl) was out of the question due to the rows of rivets that hold the aluminum composite floors to the chasis. Arlene Fowler of Fowler Interiors advised me to try Armstrong Laminate flooring with the Quiet Step underlayment system - - this installation is in its second season and is meeting my every expectation. It still looks new to this day and clean-up is a breeze - - there is some flex to the floor (typical for the aluminum composite floor material) and it hasn't produced any noticeable problems with the laminate. The laminate floors and the quiet step underlayment increased the weight of my coach (6.0 Metres or 19' 3") by just a bit less than 100 pounds - - an acceptable trade-off to get away from the hassles of dealing with carpeting in an RV.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Cork?

Thanks for the feedback. I have found this forum so helpful and am grateful to everyone who pitches in their advice.

I am curious about cork flooring, or maybe bamboo flooring. Anybody out there have experience or feedback on those ideas? I know they are great with the moisture or wetness factor.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
FLOORING Considerations

I'm curious what the experts think I should do. Here is my situation:
I currently have a gutted 50's trailer (Everything is out and the interior skin is removed) and the floor had been replaced 3 years ago with a shell off restoration (by previous owner). Since then the floor has gotten wet near the door and under windows, etc. I've pretty much taken care of all the leaks now but the plywood is stained slightly in areas and I'm sure had areas that were saturated. The floor actually still feels solid and since the belly pan is off & insulation removed, I'm not concerned with wet insulation. I'm about to undertake the interior work and I'm wondering if I should do any prep to the floor besides a clorox treatment and then some sort of sealing. I would hate to have to rip out a new interior in a few years because of smell or floor failure.

I think it's a good idea to keep this thread going since leaks are a way of life with trailers.
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I would think what you are going to do should be fine.. Does the plywood smell now? You can buy stuff to get rid of mildew smell.. But I would definitely put some sort of sealer down on the plywood. Whether it be Tompson water seal or an epoxy. Put something Before you put your flooring down..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Thats what I was thinking Jason. Currently I plan on a few Clorox treatments, then marine paint/sealer of some sort. (suggestions appreciated)

Muddy_Hollow actually put down on top of his plywood a membrane (ice and water shield) before his final floor covering. This sounds like a good idea to me as well. Has anyone else done that?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Here is the actual product: grace ice & water shield
Old 01-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
waldron , Indiana
hello just a note as being a floorcovering installer going with a wood floor (which i would not recommend) is not exceptable to water that means that no matter what you seal your floor with if for any reason the wood flooring gets wet its ruined will bow and weakn so going back to repairing floor decking finding leaks and being 110% sure no leaks or moister then wouldnt be a bad idea but keeping it old school nothing beats a good shag carpet!!!! just my 2 cents good luck
rv-n is offline   Reply With Quote