Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
My two cents: I bought AmCork cork tile squares for my kitchen and for my AS, on the recommendation of another Architect here. While it's a project for the next (few) sunny weekends, I did try to destroy samples of the tile with water, big dog claws etc. It seems pretty impervious, not cheap but looks great. I also wanted something that works with the period of the trailer. Pergo doesn't deal with mechanical damage, and my experience with less expensive flooring is that it is a false economy. I'd say, get a sample and see how easy it is to destroy. Moisture is the biggest problem in my experience, but pets, spilled wine, milk, we all have our personal favorites! You might also look into a sealer no matter what you put down, and perhaps an underlayment of 3 mil plastic? I'm trying to get the cork installed before Cassini....

Peter
Old 02-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeysor
Alan, although you have selected your flooring already, I just wanted to put in a perpetual plug for carpet tiles. The have the following benefits:
  • Easy to install
  • Great patterns and colors
  • You can buy anti-bacteria brands
  • no pad means no nasty growths
  • warmer than wood/tile
  • you can easily replace tiles due to mishaps
  • Today you can even buy Green certified tiles
And best of all Alan you live near the carpet capital of the world in Dalton. We bought remanents on the internet at under $1.50 a square foot.

We have installed carpet tiles in two of our trailers and love the way it works.
-
I've been watching HGTV network and have been seeing more of these beautiful carpet tiles ! I haven't seen ANY stores that have them at all...
What appeals to me about using the carpet tiles is that you truly wouldn't have to buy a 12' wide piece and try to fit it into your trailer...say like my Bambi and crawl all over and under the dinette trying to fit the thing in, and cut around the frig going down a narraw hall etc....with lots of waste...and bulky to remove as well for cleaning.

I think that using these tiles would be great for quick and easy decorating, and you could change the theme quickly. I also don't want to do a permanent installation that covers my easy clean flooring on my 2004 CCD ...but I look forward to having something soft underfoot especially in winter.

The flooring that I saw on HGTV was by a company named FLOR ...and can be found at their website Modern, modular carpet tiles and area rugs for Do-It-Yourself ease - FLOR Modular Tiles where they have some videos on how to install them and the easy care which seem perfect for our lifestyles.

Has anyone tried it? Any pics?

Chris.....which website did you use to find your carpet tile and is it removable for cleaning or is it 'glued' down?

Debra

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
A couple of Flor thoughts.

I think that I remember seeing some Flor products at Home Depot a while back. Also note that both Home Depot and Lowes and special order all sorts of things that they do not stock directly in the store. Carpet tiles have actually been around for some time in the commercial sector. I am not sure how the commercial grade carpet tiles are installed though. The Flor variety is perhaps more DIY friendly.

The Flor products that I have seen typically attach to the floor with adhesive tape squares. They supposedly are relatively easy to pull up and replace but they are not just floating on the floor. If a floating floor was important I suppose it would be possible to tape the Flor tiles to each other rather than to the floor.

Malcolm
Old 02-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Question on carpet

Love these posts on ideas for each other. I just got a 25' trailer with carpet in the rear twin area. I want to replace the carpet. I am considering carefully cutting out the walk area and leaving the plastic covered carpet in the trunk areas intact. I am looking at FLOR products. Any ideas on my task? Anyone used FLOR? They actually do float as they are only held in place with sticky disks and held to each other by similar disks. I am considering the style "rake me over" as it is for heavy traffic and is one of their most seamless choices.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #45
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Anyone used FLOR? They actually do float as they are only held in place with sticky disks and held to each other by similar disks. I am considering the style "rake me over" as it is for heavy traffic and is one of their most seamless choices.
I converted my crossways queen to twins and left the carpet under the beds. I used a utility knife and a serrated kitchen knife to cut the carpet away along the bunks.

I replaced the carpet with FLOR squares that look like worn blue jeans. It has worked out well in general. I did have some problem with the disks slipping just a bit, leaving the seams showing. I fixed that by using extra disks in areas where I had problems. I am happy with the result.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #46
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium View Post
The Flor products that I have seen typically attach to the floor with adhesive tape squares. They supposedly are relatively easy to pull up and replace but they are not just floating on the floor. If a floating floor was important I suppose it would be possible to tape the Flor tiles to each other rather than to the floor. Malcolm
Incorrect. The FLOR disks have adhesive only on the top side. I have FLOR squares in my trailer. The FLOR demo shows a multiple square carpet being assembled and them lifted and moved.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I used a utility knife and a serrated kitchen knife to cut the carpet away along the bunks.
Blue Jean sounds neat. I was just not sure if the carpet would slide around and how to go about figuring out what to cut out shy of removing the beds and bunks, etc. Thank you Thank you!
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #48
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Blue Jean sounds neat. I was just not sure if the carpet would slide around and how to go about figuring out what to cut out shy of removing the beds and bunks, etc. Thank you Thank you!
I fitted it up fairly tight to the bed bottoms. Nothing has moved except one seam opened up slightly where I tend to push when getting up out of my bed. I fixed that easily with some extra disks on that seam.

I found that the serrated knife, kept very sharp, would trim any stray threads that were hard to get with the utility knife.
WBCCI #9632