Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2022, 03:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Floating flooring buckling

I installed a "high end" Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) faux wood flooring in my ever-s-slow rebuild 4-5 years ago now. Since that time, we have taken the trailer on a trip or two, and used it with temporary furnishings, but for the most part it has been sitting while I slowly plod forward with the world's longest rebuild.

When I laid down the flooring, I wanted it to go wall to wall, so that when you looked into the floor mounted cabinets, or under beds, you would see flooring rather than rough plywood. I knew that I would have to tack down the appliances and cabinetry without completely restricting the motion of the flooring, but I notice that with even some weight on the floor (like say a refrigerator, that is not screwed down) I end up with ripples in the floor, where it is apparently trying to "float" as it expands and contracts, but can't.

My plan was to cut holes in the flooring with a forstner bit where screws need to go through, and then build up this area with a smaller diameter washer to support the cabinet/appliance, etc., without restricting floor movement.

Anyone out there have a recommended approach?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:39 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I installed a "high end" Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) faux wood flooring in my ever-s-slow rebuild 4-5 years ago now. Since that time, we have taken the trailer on a trip or two, and used it with temporary furnishings, but for the most part it has been sitting while I slowly plod forward with the world's longest rebuild.

When I laid down the flooring, I wanted it to go wall to wall, so that when you looked into the floor mounted cabinets, or under beds, you would see flooring rather than rough plywood. I knew that I would have to tack down the appliances and cabinetry without completely restricting the motion of the flooring, but I notice that with even some weight on the floor (like say a refrigerator, that is not screwed down) I end up with ripples in the floor, where it is apparently trying to "float" as it expands and contracts, but can't.

My plan was to cut holes in the flooring with a forstner bit where screws need to go through, and then build up this area with a smaller diameter washer to support the cabinet/appliance, etc., without restricting floor movement.

Floating floors in homes or RVs should never have anything mounted to them. They need to expand and contract. Given the humidity and temperature changes in a trailer this is even more important. So yes mount everything to the subfloor and leave a quarter inch of clearance around any obstruction.

I have seen bad kitchen remodels where owners put flooring wall to wall and than put cabinets on top. A guaranteed disaster.
drewcwsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post

No advice on the flooring, sounds like a big problem though.

On another note you're GT project is not the only slow project, my GT full Monte is dragging on FOREVER it seems.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just as a side note, and food for thought...I have taken the approach of removing flooring in cabinets and storage spots as I am in for other reasons. I know it might not look good to cabinet snoopers, but the inevitable water intrusion is much less harmful when not trapped under flooring.

BTW, my OEM floating (well stapled on the edges) buckles with temp changes and cabinets "itching" around while underway.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote