Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
Ever tried Fiberglass & Gelcoat?

We work @ a boatyard so there is easy access to fiberglass and gelcoat, which can even be molded with texture patterns and mixed to any color. We thought about trying this on our floors, but would love to know if someone else has already done this and how it went. Pictures would be especially excellent. Sure seems like the closest thing in our price range, since we are too rough on floors and would surely ruin a fancy wood flooring, and probably even vinyl. Carpet MUST GO, or it will be black within days - Looking for something that can stand up to our wear and tear without yearly replacement. (I wanted toolbox-metal for flooring but Brenden says it would be uncomfortable & cold :P)

-Stephanie & Brenden
(or Brenanie, if you will- way before Bradgelina)
BakedTaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I did the whole floor with 6oz cloth & resin for strength and to seal it forever.

This was not as a finished floor but could have been, I put 1/4" foil insulation on top then Pergo.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If I recall correctly from when I used to own a fiberglass sailboat, the gelcoat used to scratch quite easily. I'm not sure it would be all that durable, unlees you plan on being barefoot or shod in deck shoes all the time. Perhaps you might look into a vinyl composite tile by Amtico. These are used in Hospitals, schools and other institutions where high traffic and durability are of priamary importance. True linoleum, such as marmoleum by Farbo is another durable option. If you are in a dry environment, a good quality laminate flooring may work well for you. The only problem with laminate is that its MDF backing can be damaged by excessive moisture.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedTaters
We work @ a boatyard so there is easy access to fiberglass and gelcoat, which can even be molded with texture patterns and mixed to any color. We thought about trying this on our floors, but would love to know if someone else has already done this and how it went. Pictures would be especially excellent. Sure seems like the closest thing in our price range, since we are too rough on floors and would surely ruin a fancy wood flooring, and probably even vinyl. Carpet MUST GO, or it will be black within days - Looking for something that can stand up to our wear and tear without yearly replacement. (I wanted toolbox-metal for flooring but Brenden says it would be uncomfortable & cold :P)

-Stephanie & Brenden
(or Brenanie, if you will- way before Bradgelina)
You could also coat it with truck bed coating like Rhino Liner. I have read of a couple of Taiwanese trawlers which removed the leaking teak deck and sealed with Rhino Liner or similar product. If you do proper prep you could even use garage floor epoxy with flecks. The problem you will have is the flexing of the floor may peel or crack a fiberglass or epoxy coating. I laid a floating cheap interlocking floor which held up very well and was cheap it doesn’t take much material, think Sams.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote